Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 274 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jun 2, 2010 1:15:54 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Dec 8, 2012 7:50:37 AM PST]

Posted on Jun 14, 2010 1:17:51 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Dec 8, 2012 7:53:27 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2010 2:31:47 PM PDT
Terrence says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jun 23, 2010 1:01:56 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Sep 21, 2010 2:26:43 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2010 1:35:36 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Mar 16, 2012 12:45:09 PM PDT]

Posted on Jun 24, 2010 4:31:49 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Dec 8, 2012 7:53:21 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2010 6:18:10 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Dec 8, 2012 7:56:20 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2010 6:28:15 PM PDT
C. Sachs says:
Well, that's where a second person comes in handy.
Really, I do think you hit a point where you're too subjective. Subjective can be wonderful, of course, but I don't see that there's anything wrong with the art if it needs some verbal polish from the outside.

I'm expressing it badly. Sorry.

Posted on Jun 24, 2010 7:58:36 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Dec 8, 2012 7:54:37 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2010 11:34:47 PM PDT
Yahzi says:
Sword of the Bright Lady.

It's pretty epic, and a little unconventional.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2010 6:37:32 AM PDT
I completely understand you. I recently met the author of Rain, Kieryn Nicolas, and I told her that I'd come up with my own tag line for her book: "Spy school taught her everything she needed to know about life, except how to live it." She stole it from me. The author sees too much in his own work, sometimes.

Posted on Jun 25, 2010 6:58:00 AM PDT
Since I have become involved in different aspects of the publishing process, I have the greatest respect and admiration for editors. I'm not referring to proofreaders (those who check for misspelled words and grammatical errors), but content editors. I've been fortunate to have several of them go over my latest WIP, and their expertise has been invaluable.

They will tell you what needs strengthening, what needs to be trimmed, and what does not 'flow' well. They will provide different insights and educated perspectives. They are the writer's friend; they help us grow in scope and ability that much faster.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2010 9:10:49 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 7, 2011 11:08:03 AM PDT]

Posted on Feb 28, 2012 5:05:16 AM PST
Maxed-out says:
"The Burned Tower" by Sergey and Marina Dyachenko is free on Amazon!

This is a terrific Fantasy novel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpRBUJ45kAY

Posted on Mar 1, 2012 7:01:42 AM PST
Maxed-out says:
"The Scar" SERGEY AND MARINA DYACHENKO

"Rich, vivid, tactile prose, with a solid yet unpredictable plot-and an extraordinary depth and intensity of character reminiscent of the finest Russian literature."
--Kirkus Reviews, starred review

Here is a new author in the US.

Here is a link to THE BURNED TOWER a free book on Amazon.

The Burned Tower

Posted on Mar 3, 2012 1:33:17 AM PST
SuperN says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Mar 3, 2012 1:39:20 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 3, 2012 1:40:14 AM PST
R Jessica says:

Posted on Mar 13, 2012 6:28:30 PM PDT
Khal_Drago says:
I just finished Waiting Game from the new fantasy series the Chronicles of Covent, by J. L. Ficks & J. E. Dugue. I really enjoyed this book. Covent is one of the deepest fantasy world's I have ever read. Powerful visual writing style that plays in your head like a movie. It's high fantasy if anyone is looking for another good traditional fantasy series. It can be found here: Waiting Game: The Chronicles of Covent or on Kindle: Waiting Game (The Chronicles of Covent)

Posted on Mar 15, 2012 12:20:30 PM PDT
I am currently reading The Book of Deacon. Once in a while, his writing is a little amateurish, like saying, "the resourceful young lady," when I can already just tell that she's resourceful by what she's doing, but it doesn't happen often. The writer is good at narrative and has kept me interested from the beginning. It's about a girl who's country has been at war for 150 years and she is against the war just because she's sick of all of the killing--on either side. In her world, if you're not for the war, you're considered a traitor and hated, so she's forced to live a nomadic existence. While wandering, she comes upon a sword and when she touches it, it scars her. She soon finds that it is somehow important to the army and to the anti-war resistance group. That's about as far as I've gotten, but I've enjoyed it.

I also liked Limbo's Child: Book One of the Dead Things Series (Volume 1)--although it does have vampires in it, it's not about vampires. It's about a boy, Nephys, who's a scribe in the afterlife and a girl, Lucy, who finds out she's actually a necromancer. Both of them find themselves caught up in a conspiracy to end Death himself and destroy both this world and the world to come. However, it's the characters and the dialogue that really make this book a joy to read.

Posted on Mar 15, 2012 9:30:58 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 15, 2012 9:33:49 PM PDT
Crowley13 says:
I really liked Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, Book 1) by Susan Ee. The world is pretty much destroyed by angels. I don't want to ruin it because it's really good, I can't believe I put off reading this for so long because I don't usually like stuff like this (all doom & gloom) but it's not like that, despite the dangers and the whole end of the world thing it never gets depressing. One of my favorites, as soon as I finished it I looked for the next book but sadly it's not out yet, hopefully it'll only be a couple month's wait.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2012 3:51:41 AM PDT
I Ron Steele says:
Yeah, I just got Gateway by Liza Caruthers. very not run of the mill.

Posted on Mar 16, 2012 8:46:33 AM PDT
The Strawberry Roan Also available for Kindle.

First of all ignore the blurb for the book. It's trying to make it sound like a tall tale. A Pecos Bill type story if you will. And it is a tall tale in a way but not at all the traditional way. Imagine if a character like Pecos Bill were rewritten as a real person. As if the stories were deconstructed to come up with a plausible person. That is what Black Bess is. She is the kind of person that a Pecos Bill type of legend could grow from.

Now give her a unicorn. I'm not spoiling anything here, she gets a new horse at the start of the book and you know within a few seconds that she has been stuck with a unicorn who is a character all on his own.

This book is so far outside the normal fantasy genre that it's hard to really explain it in a way that makes sense, or compare it to anything else. After reading and rereading it the only thing I can really say is I'm pissed off at the author because she has no intention of writing a sequel.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2012 12:23:58 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Mar 16, 2012 12:26:33 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2012 12:24:13 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Mar 16, 2012 12:26:38 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2012 12:25:26 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Mar 16, 2012 12:26:42 PM PDT]
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Fantasy forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Fantasy forum
Participants:  179
Total posts:  274
Initial post:  Feb 5, 2010
Latest post:  Jul 5, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 26 customers

Search Customer Discussions