Customer Discussions > Fantasy forum

(Experienced readers) Recommendation for a good Fantasy book/series, worth reading.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 44 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 2, 2012 3:30:15 PM PDT
Chris says:
Hi,
After finnishing the wheel of time series for the third time - reading name of the wind and sanderson stuff twice I realize it might be time to try something new (if there still exist something). I hope you might help me by recommending something worthwhile reading in the fantasy genre. I usually enjoy readinig and experincing the world/story trough the character, i.e. books with strong charachter presence like The name of the wind. I usually dislike books telling the story from a third perspektive "history-like" like Steven Erikson.
Previous Authors I've enjoyed:
Sanderson
Rothfuss
Hobb
Weeks
Brett
Jordan
Butcher
Lynch

Other authors I've allready read (but not enjoyed as much as those above: Martin, Tolkien, Abercrombie, Erikson, Cook, Abraham, Donaldson, Gaiman, Williams, Feist, Rowling, Eddings, Pratchet, Gavriel kay, Beagle, King, Clarke, Goodkind, Brooks, Paolini, Salvatore, Alexander, Green, Le guin.

Thanks!

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 6:56:34 PM PDT
Denise Long says:
how about this?

A Cavern of Black Ice (Sword of Shadows)
A Fortress of Grey Ice: Book Two of Sword of Shadows
A Sword from Red Ice: Book Three of Sword of Shadows
Watcher of the Dead: Book Four of Sword of Shadows

Posted on Nov 3, 2012 6:27:24 AM PDT
Chance says:
Here are some series that I have enjoyed:

The Killing Moon and The Shadowed Sun - The Dreamblood series.

Son of Avonar and the other books of the Bridge to D'Arnath series.

The Spirit Lens and other books of the Collegia Magica series.

Flesh and Spirit and Breath and Bone - The Lighthouse Duet.

The Steel Remains and The Cold Commands - First two novels of the Land Fit for Heroes series.

Posted on Nov 3, 2012 7:53:34 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 3, 2012 8:22:50 AM PDT
You've read most of the major epic/high fantasy authors I can think of with the exception of David Gemmell: http://www.amazon.com/David-Gemmell/e/B000AQ70T8/ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_1?qid=1351956037&sr=1-1 . I like his books but he'd probably fall into your second tier of authors.

Also, you might try David Weber's Bahzell series. The first two ebooks are available in the Baen Free Library, beginning with this one: http://www.baenebooks.com/p-297-oath-of-swords.aspx

Perhaps you should consider expanding your reading into similar genres such as time travel/alternate history. For example, I enjoyed S. M. Stirling's Nantucket/Change series, beginning with this book: Island in the Sea of Time . Here's the link to his author page:
http://www.amazon.com/S.-M.-Stirling/e/B000AP5GTA/ref=sr_tc_2_rm?qid=1351953662&sr=1-2-ent

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 11:00:43 AM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 3:24:49 PM PST
HJ Leonard says:
David: please note this post from AMAZON:

(AMAZON OFFICIAL)
Amazon recently created a new community for authors. The `Meet Our Authors' community is designed to give authors a space to engage with one another and promote their latest and greatest works.

With the advent of the new community, we will no longer allow self promotional posts in other communities. Starting on Monday, May 16th, 2011, all "shameless self promotion" activity will be limited to the `Meet Our Authors' community. Promotional threads outside of these forums will be removed.

We invite authors and interested readers to come join the discussion at:

http://www.amazon.com/forum/meet%20our%20authors

We look forward to seeing you!

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 2:45:51 AM PST
Victoria says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 6:31:38 PM PST
Victoria. I'm assuming you don't know this but self promotion is not allowed except in the Meet Our Authors forum. You'll probably want to delete your promotional posts because if you don't Amazon will. Also many people here hate when authors spam thread after thread with their advertisements and will put those authors on their personal "do not buy" list. Alienating your prospective customers isn't a good start in the marketplace.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 8:07:48 PM PST
M. says:
Have you tried Steven Brust? His Jhereg series is excellent.
The Book of Jhereg is the omnibus of the first books.

Martha Wells has some fantastic books with really exemplary world building, there are several stand-alones and a completed trilogy that's very good. Also, if you read ebooks The Cloud Roads (The Books of the Raksura) is only 1.99 at the moment -the third book in that series comes out in Dec so the publisher is promoting the first book- and it's really good. She's one of my few automatic buys I've never been disappointed by one of her books.

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 7:14:27 AM PST
BareThoughts says:
Rachel Aaron's Eli Monpress books are really good The Legend of Eli Monpress contains the first 3.

Kelly McCullough's Blade series is pretty good as is Among Thieves: A Tale of the Kin

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 3:10:17 PM PST
Booker T says:

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 7:04:25 AM PST
K. McNamara says:
I don't see Cherryh listed -
Try her Fortress in the Eye of time series.

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 2:37:16 PM PST
Boric says:
Given what you like, you could also check out:

Daniel Abraham's The Dragon's Path & The King's Blood (Coin & Dagger series)

Helen Lowe's The Heir of Night & The Gathering of the Lost (The Wall of Night series)

John R Fultz's Seven Princes

These are all new series & I really liked the first two--was less sure re Fultz but know a few people who have enjoyed the first book. Also, since has been around longer but is not on your list:

Adrian Tchaikovsky's "Shadows of the Apt" series

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 5:54:13 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 12, 2012 5:59:55 PM PST
I've been reading fantasy for -- well, a very long time (I edited a fanzine devoted to reviews of it back in the 1970s), and could probably come up with a long list of fantasy authors who are "new" to a lot of readers.

However, I'll stick to just one: the late Avram Davidson (1923-1993), a number of whose fantasy and science fiction stories have recently been re-issued in Kindle format (very well done) by Prologue Books. His work was highly literate, and stories usually had a strand of rather dark humor running through them.

Davidson became notorious for series that were suspended for a decade or more, but the installments were worth waiting for. (And some of the delays involved the publishers' decisions).

Sticking strictly to his fantasy (and leaving aside the science fiction and alternate-history stories), the number-one choice would be the Vergil Magus trilogy, based (loosely) on the well-documented medieval notion that the poet Virgil (Publius Vergilius Maro for lover of Latin) was a mighty magician. The three volumes are:
The Phoenix and the Mirror
Vergil in Averno
The Scarlet Fig, Or, Slowly Through a Land of Stone.

Two singletons are:
"Ursus of Ultima Thule" (in terms of magazine versus book publication, a short series in itself; a chunk of it appeared as "The Forges of Nainland are Cold") and
"The Island Under the Earth" (which was set up as the beginning of another series)

Not available from Prologue (but in print, or at least available) are "Peregrine: Primus" and "Peregrine: Secundus" -- a Tertius, at least, was obviously intended -- which I would summarize as a picaresque novel which doubles as a set of comic meditations on the disintegration of Empires (Roman, Assyrian, Hunnish, fragments of all of them are under foot), the multiplication of new religions and newer heresies ("Behold the Ram of God!"), the deaths of languages, the problem of feeding an official dragon, and about fifty other things. However, in its incomplete state, it can just as easily be read as a series of very funny short stories.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 8:45:30 AM PST

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 11:39:45 AM PST
Have you tried any China Mieville? His "Bas Lag" cycle is quite good, especially the first two books, "Perdido Street Station" and "The Scar". They're unlike any other fantasy novels that I've read. This is not really a series, just books set in the same world, with a small amount of character overlap but no single continuing plot.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 10:51:12 PM PST
Daniel Bowen says:
Have you tried Patricia Briggs? She has a couple of different series out with strong female leads. All her books have strong believable characters and engaging plots. Iola Andrews is another author that many on the paranormal forum really enjoy but her books are classified in the fantasy section. The Kate Daniels series comes in tops with a lot of people. (By the way, it's a husband and wife duo that make up Iola Andrews).

And I'll put in a few words on first books in any series. Usually the first book isn't the best, it's groundwork for the series. It defines and gives you background and then by book 3 each series takes off. So if you start a series and you can't get hooked on the first book, give yourself a chance and continue on. Many have said the Kate Daniel series was so confusing at first, it just didn't make sense, that they didn't like the first book. Soldier on and like so many others, you will love the series.

But ultimately, whenever I recommend an author or books, go search the author's page, read those first chapters in a book, see if it interests you before investing. Do your research so you feel you've made a good choice.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 8:39:38 AM PST

Posted on Nov 21, 2012 5:32:54 PM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 11:43:06 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 23, 2012 8:18:08 AM PST
thunder road says:
I had not read Fantasy for ages, focusing on Science Fiction, the Classics and Literary Fiction. Recently, though, I got bored and reread the Belgariad and "Watership Down." And, wanting more, I looked at some Fantasy awards lists, and stumbled upon some great books that use Fantasy elements, but are not Tolkien rehashed. The best I stumbled upon thus far ...

* Little, Big, by John Crowley. It was amazing, telling a fantasy epic based on Celtic fairy mythology. But tells it "slant," and never straight on. Poetic, dreamy, and swirling.

I also have read a couple of great books that looked at Judeo-Christian mythos head-on.

* Lamb by Christoper Moore was a riot. It looks are Jesus's life from the viewpoint of his regular guy childhood pal, Levi who goes by Biff. Irreverent, while still honoring the Christian tradition.
* Good Omens. The Nice and Accurate Propecies of Agnes Nutter by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchet. I don't want to give too much away, but the anti-Christ is somehow switched at birth. Instead of being raised by rich and powerful parents, he is raised by a blundering accountant in rural Britain. Nearly split a gut laughing while reading how he and his group of friends work diligently to stave off the apocalypse.
* American Gods, another Neil Gaiman. A lot darker Fantasy, based on American Christian and Indian mythology.

Last but not least, is my new favorite author: China Mieville. Presented here in order of my preference (all are stand-alone). My favorite, "The City & the City", is only loosely a Fantasy, by the way. But it is remarkable...

* The City & The City (Random House Reader's Circle)
* The Scar
* Railsea
* Perdido Street Station

Hope this helps. And enjoy. From a reader long ago jaded on Seven-Part sword and sorcery epics...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2012 11:30:44 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 23, 2012 11:53:08 AM PST]

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 6:56:56 AM PST
ArtWordsTea says:
Jacqueline Carey- Kushiel series- but I must add the caveat that they are rather heavy on the sex, but otherwise a fascinating alternate setting of Europe in the 1500's.
Juliet Marillier- Seven Waters series- based on Irish myth.

Posted on Apr 6, 2013 8:09:08 PM PDT
Gem Hunter says:
I recommend the new series coming out called The Books of Epherea. It's an epic novel series by G. E. McCurry that has a lot of action and is filled with ancient beings with magical attributes along with Amazon like women fighting for their existence. The Book sof Epherea I is The Angel's Return and a great read.

Posted on Apr 7, 2013 7:44:10 PM PDT
Kirk says:
I have a hard time finding new fantasy books to read also. Lately I
have been reading indie authors and sometimes I get lucky and find a good one. Some of my favorite are:
To Cast The First Spell (The Maestro Chronicles)
Eye of the Moonrat (The Bowl of Souls: Book One)
In Her Name: Empire
Mageborn: The Blacksmith's Son (Book 1)

Posted on Apr 8, 2013 2:03:52 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 8, 2013 2:05:12 PM PDT
badeggsalad says:
You might want to try Karen Miller's Godspeaker Trilogy. They're set from the point of view of the bad guy, or in this case girl, in the series. I quite enjoyed them. The main character, Hekat the empress, is not a nice person. Quite insane & unpleasant, but the books were a great read. And you might want to check out the Nightrunner series by Lynn Flewelling, as well as her Tamir trilogy.

The Godspeaker Trilogy (This is all 3 books in one volume)
Empress (Godspeaker, Book 1) (Just the first book)
Luck in the Shadows (Nightrunner, Vol. 1) (Book 1 of the Nightrunner series)
The Bone Doll's Twin (Tamir Trilogy, Book 1)
Illusion (Also this book by Paula Volsky. Not a series, but one of my favorite fantasy novels.)
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Fantasy forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Fantasy forum
Participants:  41
Total posts:  44
Initial post:  Nov 2, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 10, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions