Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Cyber Monday Video Game Deals Outdoor Deals on Tikes
Customer Discussions > Fantasy forum

Fantasy Books set in Winter

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 26 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 28, 2012 4:33:15 AM PST
D. Pickle says:
Does anyone here have any ideas for some great fantasy type books set in winter? Or set in a snowy type setting. I've just finished up with a lot of cozies set in halloween and fall and would like a change. I love authors like Tolkein, Ursula Le Guin, Juliet Marillier, Anne McCaffrey....

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 1:05:22 PM PST
You could look at the Godless World trilogy by Brian Ruckley:

Winterbirth (The Godless World)
Bloodheir (The Godless World)
Fall of Thanes (The Godless World)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 1:20:22 PM PST
MommaCat says:
The Belgariad and Mallorian go through seasons. Check out David Eddings...been a long time but I remember quite a bit of snow in both series.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 2:17:51 PM PST
D. Pickle says:
Thanks - I will have to check into these. I've heard of the Belgariad and after reading a few pages on Amazon it looks promising.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 2:56:46 PM PST
K. McNamara says:
A lot of Cherryh's Fortress in the Eye of time series is set in winter.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 6:08:54 PM PST
AJ Uchiha says:
Wicked Lovely and Snowfall (Snowfall series) are both set in the winter. Stephen King's The Shining isn't exactly a fantasy, but it's set in the winter and has a supernatural theme.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 8:51:15 PM PST
StriderNeo15 says:
How about A Song of Ice and Fire, Books 1-4 (A Game of Thrones / A Feast for Crows / A Storm of Swords / Clash of Kings)?

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 4:03:39 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 29, 2012 4:04:13 AM PST
Mondkalb says:
A considerable part of Tad Williams' wonderful trilogy "Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn" is set in a wintery environment, with snow adapted races, and a threat coming out of the cold:

The Dragonbone Chair (Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn, Book 1)

Stone of Farewell (Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn, Book 2)

To Green Angel Tower: Book Three of Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 6:50:16 AM PST
D. Pickle says:
Wow - thanks so much for all the great suggestions. I noticed a lot of these are YA which is right up my alley. Oddly enough some of these were already on my TBR stack so i'm definitely moving them up to the top.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 4:08:56 PM PST
R. Wilde says:
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe: The Chronicles of Narnia
The Dark Is Rising

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 8:29:33 PM PST
Captain says:
Terry Pratchett's Wintersmith (Tiffany Aching)

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 11:16:35 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 30, 2012 12:15:01 AM PST
Mondkalb says:
Oh well, Terry Pratchett ...:

also, there is a quite nicely done TV-Adaption of Hogfather:

which I like to watch every year around christmas. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 5:07:16 AM PST
D. Pickle says:
R. Wilde:
Of course - I love the Chronicles of Narnia - and the movie adaptations- well worth re-reading and watching again . I also checked "The Dark is Rising" and couldn't tell if it's independent or if I would need to read the 1st book before this one. I normally prefer to read series in order but sometimes it's not really necessary.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 5:10:05 AM PST
D. Pickle says:
Captain & Mondkalb - I've never read anything by Terry Pratchett and I really appreciate the suggestions - adding more books to my library order now. thanks again!

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 8:05:14 AM PST
M. Carole says:
Not straight fantasy, more like literary fantasy, but wonderful nonetheless: Winter's Tale. Terry Pratchett is hysterical, I second those recommendations.

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 12:21:46 PM PST
D. Pickle says:
M Carole - Winter's Tale sounds absolutely wonderful! Thanks so much for the rec!!! Planning on ordering that one from the library. I'm also looking to start Terry Pratchett's series - even though Wintersmith is listed as #35 in her series per fictfact - I may need to work my way down on that one.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 12:38:55 PM PST
Captain says:
I agree with Mondkalb, Hogfather would be better than Wintersmith for a Terry Pratchett intro for you. It's part of the main Discworld series while Wintersmith is part of the Tiffany Aching series, a spinoff of Discworld and probably better for after you've become familiar with the other books.

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 1:14:11 PM PST
D. Pickle says:
thanks Captain - I have just ordered Hogfather and looking forward to trying this author! I would much rather get aquainted with characters etc. and read it in order as much as possible.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 2:26:11 PM PST
M. Carole says:
D., Glad to hear it on Winter's Tale. It's a bit of a tome but worth your time, the prose is absolutely stunning.

Terry Pratchett (it's a he, by the way) writes multiple series and Hogfather is one book out of his long running Discworld series. You can read them out of order pretty safely, though, so go at it however you like. You'll probably become addicted to him the way the rest of us are.

I also enjoy reading seasonal literature and save up the Christmas themed books for December myself. If you like urban fantasy, Laura Resnick has a funny series with her Esther Diamond character. Her latest is set at Christmas in a Manhattan department store and is very funny: Polterheist. These are best read in order but for the purposes of the season, you could probably get away with reading this one first. She references the previous books but it's not necessary to have read them to laugh your way through this one.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 10:50:42 PM PST
R. Wilde says:
I recently picked up the whole series and am reading them in order, but you can start with the Dark is Rising if you like... other than a couple of mentions which aren't really necessary to the plot, the first couple of books are pretty independent of each other.

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 1:01:32 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 1, 2012 3:23:01 AM PST
Mondkalb says:
There are several suggestions concerning the reading order of Terry Pratchett's novels.
Of course you could read them in order of publication date or you could read them randomly.
Most books stand on their own but there are some recurring characters you might want to follow in chronological order. Also, some books are based on a certain faction of the Discworld, like wizards, witches, the city watch, or on characters like Death.

I wouldn't recommend to start with his first books ("The Colour of Magic" and "The Light Fantastic"), because they lack a bit of the quality of his later works. They are still funny and a good read and every Pratchett fan should read them, but maybe later on.

A good guide is this one:
Another one in german, but also with the englisch novel titles which shows more of the connections between some of the novels:

As you can see, "Hogfather" is part of the Death series. It can be read without knowledge of the earlier books in the series, but you most certainly want to know more about some stuff, as why Death has a granddaughter and such things, which is explained in "Mort" and "Soul Music".

In the earlier novels, the Discworld is a skewed version of standard medieval type fantasy worlds, with many twists.
Later on the time seems more like victorian or pre-industrial with some peeks into new technologies ("Moving Pictures" for example is a hilarious plot about the film industry).
"Hogfather" is also set in a victorianish period in terms of the society and Susan's circumstances of life.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 2:38:31 PM PST
Aro says:
Mana This book is really amazing! It is set after the end of summer, but quickly moves into the awesome winter setting. I don't want to give too much away, but I absolutely love this title! I'll be reviewing it soon! Check it out

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2012 5:12:34 PM PST
the Obsidian Mountain Series by Mercedes Lackey and James Mallory. Books two and three of the series will give you more winter and snowy scenes than you can stand. Lots of detail. It's a good series.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2012 5:14:22 PM PST
Oops, here is a link with more about it

--Robert Clifton Storey Jr.
author of the Vision Dream Series

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 11:27:59 AM PST
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Fantasy forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Fantasy forum
Participants:  13
Total posts:  26
Initial post:  Nov 28, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 13, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions