Customer Discussions > Fantasy forum

Looking for fantasy books with strong female characters.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 90 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 16, 2012 11:12:31 PM PDT
... especially reigning queens, hidden princesses, etc. I've always loved stories where the woman outranks her love interest... it adds an interesting dimension to the relationship. And royalty in disguise is always fun. However, I've had toruble knowing where to start in my search... any help would be appreciated! Thanks so much.

Posted on Oct 16, 2012 11:21:57 PM PDT
s.groce says:
One of my favorite series fits this description to a tea. Jim Hines wrote the Princess Series The Stepsister Scheme (Princess Novels) and it's about these fairy tale princesses getting re-imagined into these great heroines who have to save the prince for a change and the entire series focuses on their adventures. It's way more complicated than that, especially in later books, but I highly recommend them all.

Posted on Oct 17, 2012 9:38:13 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 17, 2012 9:42:39 AM PDT
M. Carole says:
Here are a few links to the last threads on the topic of female leads, there are some good recommendations in these. The topic comes up quite a bit, so you can also search the thread list and find a few more, and some more embedded links as well. It's a perennial search for some of us:)

http://www.amazon.com/forum/fantasy/ref=cm_cd_tfp_ef_tft_tp?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=FxRHP2KEWXI0H1&cdThread=Tx3LN3N9VIZIJI6

http://www.amazon.com/forum/fantasy/ref=cm_cd_tfp_ef_tft_tp?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=FxRHP2KEWXI0H1&cdThread=Tx1NEYHVGTBTEUL

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 17, 2012 1:57:12 PM PDT
StriderNeo15 says:
Did you ever read Tigana?

it doesn't have exactly what you're looking for but I think you'd probably be a fan of Dianora.

Posted on Oct 17, 2012 5:14:41 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 8, 2012 8:11:16 AM PST]

Posted on Oct 18, 2012 9:51:56 AM PDT
S. McAleavey says:
Try "Reckoning: Dark Prophesy," by Molly M. Hall. New author. Kat Matheson is an awesome character. A great first book in a series. Reckoning (Dark Prophecy)

Posted on Oct 19, 2012 6:53:36 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 19, 2012 6:54:05 AM PDT
Chance says:
Carol Berg's The Bridge of D'Arnath series (beginning with Son of Avonar) has a strong female protagonist. She isn't exactly a queen or princess, though she is nobility. One thing to note though: as the series moves on the main protagonists of each book changes, though the same characters are featured throughout the series. The second book in Berg's Collegia Magica features a female protagonist, but the first and third novels of the series follow different characters. I'd still suggest reading it, as the series is quite good.

Some other books with strong female characters include N.K. Jemisin's Inheritance Trilogy (starting with The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms and the Dreamblood Series (The Killing Moon and The Shadowed Sun. The main protagonists of the The Killing Moon are two men, but it features a strong female character in a secondary role. The second book in the series, The Shadowed Sun, does have a woman in the lead role, though.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2012 7:05:10 AM PDT
Have you read or know about "The Chathrand Voyage" (a quartet, and the first one is called The Red Wolf Conspiracy) by Robert Redick? Very strong female characters - princesses and all! Here's a link to one of his interviews
http://robertvsredick.blogspot.com/2012/03/favorite-long-lost-interview.html

Posted on Oct 19, 2012 10:30:18 AM PDT
I think Elizabeth Moon's Paksenarrion trilogy is great: The Deed of Paksenarrion: A Novel (Baen Fantasy)

It's also available as an inexpensive ebook from directly from Baen: http://www.baenebooks.com/p-100-the-deed-of-paksenarrion.aspx, and the first book can be found for free in the Baen Free Library.

Posted on Oct 21, 2012 3:52:39 AM PDT
Boric says:
You could try:

Greg Keyes Briar King series, where one of the three central characters is a princess on the run

Also Helen Lowe's The Heir of Night/Gathering of the Lost, which features a ruling female character in flight/hiding and characters in disguise

I would also take a look at Raymond/Jannuy Wurts Daughter of the Empire trilogy

Posted on Oct 24, 2012 9:13:56 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Oct 24, 2012 6:12:32 PM PDT]

Posted on Oct 25, 2012 2:55:02 PM PDT
AJ Uchiha says:
Try Snowfall (Snowfall series). It stars a goddess who befriends a mortal boy, and together they must save the world (hers and the human one) from the power-hungry Winter Queen and find the Spring Queen meant to take her place. It alternates between the male and female protagonists, but all of the female characters (especially the protagonist) are strong, well developed characters.

Posted on Oct 25, 2012 8:41:17 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 8, 2012 8:11:24 AM PST]

Posted on Oct 27, 2012 12:32:29 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 27, 2012 12:39:34 AM PDT
Mondkalb says:
Some classics come to mind: Marion Zimmer Bradley's Avalon series, Riddle-Master by Patricia A. McKillip, The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan features some pretty strong women, Mordant's Need by Stephen R. Donaldson (though Terisa might not appeal to everyone, she can be somewhat obnoxious ;)), the Unicorn series by Tanith Lee.

Just remembered the Diadem series by Jo Clayton. Sadly the books are out of print and not available for Kindle ...

Posted on Oct 28, 2012 2:06:37 PM PDT
Gomb says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Oct 28, 2012 3:23:48 PM PDT
Nick Danger says:
Look into the Morgaine Cycle by C.J. Cherryh. Fantasy, strong female lead, female lead has higher status than her romantic interest...

Posted on Oct 28, 2012 5:52:43 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Oct 28, 2012 7:42:53 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2012 12:28:21 AM PDT
Mondkalb says:
None of those I have listed. ^^

Posted on Oct 29, 2012 1:02:55 AM PDT
Peppicheep says:
An Accidental Goddess (Bantam Spectra) she outranks the hero and she is hiding -- it's more in the SF than straight fantasy, but lots of fun.

Posted on Oct 29, 2012 5:37:09 PM PDT
Skullduggery by Michael J. Deysher Sr. Fantastic novel about the origin of life. Strong female characters throughout. Novel has an epic story line. Skullduggery

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2012 12:35:50 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Oct 30, 2012 12:42:26 PM PDT]

Posted on Oct 30, 2012 4:02:01 PM PDT
nooo says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Oct 31, 2012 12:24:37 AM PDT
M. Miller says:
You can try and run but with your laces tied together you won't get far. :P
Skulduggery Pleasant series is great for strong female characters.

Posted on Oct 31, 2012 11:53:20 AM PDT
N. Berryman says:
The Abhorsen books =]

Posted on Oct 31, 2012 12:33:53 PM PDT
Tehn says:
Always go for the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Fantasy forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Read fresh new fantasy stories - and help take them to the next level
2 20 days ago
KTT-A (imagine all the curly decorations, please) :-D 388 33 minutes ago
It's April 2015. What are you reading? 3 7 hours ago
Recommendation, please, for a Dresden Files book to hook me to the series? 42 7 hours ago
2015 Reading Challenge 50 10 hours ago
Books on Sale 681 1 day ago
Looking for Book Series similar to The Dresden Files or Iron Druid Chronicles 12 1 day ago
Beyond Under-Appreciated 25 2 days ago
If a self-published author is very successful, why would he/she want to sign with a publishing house? 15 3 days ago
It's already March of 2105. What are you reading? 43 3 days ago
Cross-over 26 4 days ago
Kindle Unlimited: Fantasy Recommendations 58 4 days ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Fantasy forum
Participants:  61
Total posts:  90
Initial post:  Oct 16, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 28, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions