Customer Discussions > Fantasy forum

looking for a fantasy novel from the 80's / 90's . I can't remeber the name

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 19, 2012 3:50:05 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 19, 2012 4:03:14 PM PST
i need your help. I need to find the name of a novel i had back in the 80's early 90's

It was about a man being taken back in time ( or alternative world ) by a wizard and trained in the art of magic. The humans in this world are fighting a monster that can basically melt humans in to goo. They look like flying beast from what i remember and are translucent . The wizard also pulls a girl from the same world and she becomes a fighter / knight. The humans ( or whats left of them , since its hinted that they are almost wiped out ) live in fort / keep cities that are existentially bunkers. They have dwindling food and supplies. Besides the magic user , the humans just have swords and no modern weapons. The series ends with the wizard that pulled the first guy making a deal with the monsters , He gives them a portal to a new world/reality to feed on in exchange for them not completely finishing off the humans in his world. I remember the story ending with the main dude getting pissed at the wizard for basically dooming another world. The wizard takes him and the girl back to their world. The end , i think this was a 3 part series of novels. I can no find the name of it to save my life.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 10:16:40 PM PST
This is really vague, do you recall any of the character's names?

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 11:02:56 PM PST
i am sorry , i do not :( its been so long ago.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 11:40:47 PM PST
You seem to be describing Barbara Hambly's Darwath novels, particularly the initial trilogy of "The Time of the Dark," "The Walls of Air," and "The Armies of Daylight" (1982-1983). There are two later novels, "Mother of Winter" (1996) and "Icefalcon's Quest" (1998). The nature of the menace, and the conclusion of the trilogy, are rather different than you recall.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 11:45:00 PM PST
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! i have been looking for this book since i was a kid ! i am 33 now lol. Thank you so much!

Posted on Nov 21, 2012 7:33:43 AM PST
Although not the series you recalled, some of the plot elements reminded me of Wen Spencer's excellent Elfhome series. Here's a link to the first book: Tinker (Elfhome, Book 1) . Ebook versions are also available from Baen.

I recommend them with the caveat that they contain some elements of paranormal romance, which I didn't care for. I just skimmed over these sections and it didn't interfere with my enjoyment of the books.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 8:18:09 AM PST
Maryam says:
I see someone has beaten me to this, but you should also try out her Silicon Mage/Silent Tower/Dog Wizard books, and the Dark Hand of Magic books (Ladies of Mandrigyn, etc.).
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Fantasy forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Fantasy forum
Participants:  5
Total posts:  7
Initial post:  Nov 19, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 21, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions