Customer Discussions > Fantasy forum

tell me about Serkets, hold the manblizzard

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 5, 2012 1:52:14 PM PST
Sparrow says:
Hi Amazon!

I'm sort of a product of the Internet, and I've grown accustomed to only reading content that's tagged in particular ways. Lately, though, I've been thinking about getting back into reading published books instead of free online stuff (mostly fan-content). I've been having trouble finding works I enjoy, though.

I DO WANT:
~Good stories!
~Well-written lady characters. The Bechdel Test is insufficient: I don't care about dudes and I am tired of reading about the lovable everygirl. Give me complicated women, unstable women, horrible women, women with vices, women who maim for fun, and women who are gleeful about corpse parties.
~Stories about love and passion, especially those that acknowledge forms of love exist that aren't sexy romantic love.
~any of the following tags: science fiction, speculative fiction, fantasy, non-fiction, fiction, transhumanism, trans* issues, humanism, LGB/queer, gender theory, meta, disability, revolution, satire, real and imaginary marginalized identities in general, good worldbuilding.

I DO NOT WANT:
~Yet another story about the "manblizzard" - that is, a mass of generic, normatively attractive straight cis white dudes. I refuse to act like I care about the manblizzard unless you're going to give me a good English Lit grade for pretending to care. Tell me stories about somebody else already, for crying out loud.
~Yet another coming-out narrative or yet another *moving supernatural romance.* These are both overdone.
~Non-con (ie non-consensual sexual activity/rape).
~Yet another book that treats some non-white population as intrinsically linked to the supernatural in gross ways. Here's looking at you, Twilight.
~Yet another novel about monarchs and elites, set in a deeply hierarchical culture, that treats that kind of inequality in fond, nostalgic ways. (God, do you hate kings.)

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 3:54:33 PM PST
Chance says:
Check out N.K. Jemisin, such as The Killing Moon and The Shadowed Sun. Her Inheritance Trilogy may also interest you. The characters in these novels are definitely outside the standard fantasy mold.

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 12:26:55 AM PST
C.S. Friedman's Magister's trilogy. Sorry, there are white guys, but they die in truly horrific ways. The heroine (?) drains their life force without them ever knowing in order to become more powerful and to stay alive, and yes, even save the world. It's a delightful twist on magic and what exactly defines a hero.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Fantasy forum
Participants:  3
Total posts:  3
Initial post:  Nov 5, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 6, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions