Customer Discussions > Fantasy forum

Cover art Details

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-14 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 6, 2012 1:21:51 PM PST
Merle F says:
When it comes to choosing a book, how much attention does one place upon the artwork on the cover? It entices me to see the details in interesting font choices for the title, moreoverly fonts clearly created for the "feel" of the novel rather than generic computer fonts. It also must have an excellent picture to fit the type of story. What grab's your eye?

Posted on Mar 6, 2012 1:33:41 PM PST
Michael Whelan, John Jude Palencar, Kinuko Craft, David Delamare, and lesser-known artists like them who bring realism and soul to their fanatastical paintings always grab my eye. Sometimes I notice the font if it's particularly nifty, but far more often I notice the artwork on covers--probably both my parents being visual artists and always having books of paintings and sculptures around the house when I was growing up contributes to this prejudice.

Posted on Mar 6, 2012 3:41:18 PM PST
Michael Whelan, Keith Parkinson, the Hildebrandt brothers, Frank Frazetta - if the cover has art by one of these I usually pick it up and scan it...

Posted on Mar 6, 2012 5:46:16 PM PST
EJ says:
I can't say that I pay attention to the actual artists, but the covers do matter to me. If a book looks like it has an amaturish cover, I have to wonder if the writing is amaturish too. I have to admit to occasionally being surprised, but not often.

As a woman who loves science fantasy, I have to wonder about the latest trend of scantily clad women in impossible poses. And what is it about shirtless guys? Those used to be reserved for romances or Gor books.

Posted on Mar 7, 2012 3:03:43 PM PST
Adam Thaxton says:
http://www.jimchines.com/2012/01/striking-a-pose/

YEAH. SHOW ME SOME HIP.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 7, 2012 3:07:13 PM PST
That post was pure genius. Hines has a very good sense of humor.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 7, 2012 8:02:58 PM PST
Jenclone says:
That's fabulous! I knew he was a funny guy, but wow.

There are certain artists I like, including the ones already mentioned, but certain colors, styles, and well-designed fonts will catch my eye first. After picking those up, however, I'll grab any other fantasy novel on the shelf to see what it's about and put it on my list. Hate to rule anything out.

Once in awhile, though, I come across one that I absolutely hate. Right now I'm thinking of an Australian-published volume of Paul Jennings stories that someone once lent to me. The cover art was repellent. I actually put a cover on the book so I wouldn't have to see it.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 7, 2012 10:29:37 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 9, 2012 9:54:25 AM PST
Jay says:
(I realized I violated the policy by linking to my own book. I have deleted it.) I went through many revisions on the cover of my own book. I started generic then enlisted a professional to do exactly what you mentioned above. The response was huge. I know we all say, "Don't judge a book by its cover." But let's be honest... A crappy cover usually gets tossed aside!

Posted on Mar 8, 2012 6:33:15 AM PST
jaimilyn says:
An author I like (swear I have no relationship to him, I just think his books are cool) did an interesting guest blog post on what went into him getting the cover art for his novels - http://puretextuality.com/2011/12/14/guest-post-icing-on-the-cake-the-value-of-good-artwork-by-guest-author-joseph-lallo-jrlallo/

Posted on Mar 9, 2012 7:58:38 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 9, 2012 8:54:58 AM PST
Jenclone--
Couldn't agree more about some covers being absolutely repellant--that's a good idea, covering them up. I once picked up copies of Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights from the bargain bin at Wal-Mart to read that had terrible covers--the artwork was atrocious, no subtlely in the brushstrokes or colors, and the characters didn't look anything like I pictured them. I remembered thinking that it was a good thing I had read the books before, or I would have judged them by these terrible covers. The only reason I bought these versions was because they were cheap and I was trying to preserve the ancient paperbacks my mother had given me. It's ironic--I ended up hating the covers of the new paperbacks so much that I hid them away on a bookshelf in the back of the house and read the ancient paperbacks to tatters anyway.

I once traded a whole set of Lord of the Rings with someone at work because of the covers. I had a newer set published in the 1990s, and I hated the covers. This man I worked with had a set from the 1970s with these really nifty, psychedelic looking covers. He was happy to get a set of newer books, and I was happy to get a set with cool cover art.

I just remembered something interesting related to Lord of the Rings and covers--the original 1960s paperback editions have Tolkien's artwork on them. He was a good visual artist as well as a talented writer--I have the book J.R.R.Tolkien: Artist and Illustrator that I bought several years when it first came out.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 9, 2012 8:23:04 AM PST
Jenclone says:
Hi Red, glad I'm not the only one who reacts that strongly!! How funny.

I love those psychedelic LOTR covers! I only have one at the moment, but also a jigsaw puzzle that I THINK is by the same artist. I puzzle-glued it when it started falling apart. Will have to research this later and see if it's the same.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 9, 2012 8:52:34 AM PST
Hi Jenclone--
I just checked out my psychedelic copy of The Fellowship of the Ring--unfortunately, it doesn't seem to list the cover artist, so if you find out who it is, I'd love to know. Which book do you have? I think Fellowship has my favorite cover--lots of animals with round staring eyes, little houses that look like toadstools, and a weird black tree with no leaves and red bulbous fruit. I don't quite know what any of it has to do with the Lord of the Rings, but it's a fun picture, regardless. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 9, 2012 12:56:26 PM PST
Zen Druid says:
The artist for the so-called "hippy" or psychedelic covers (loved those!) is Barbara Remington. Check out more LOTR covers at http://lotrscrapbook.bookloaf.net/gallery/bookcovers/index.htm . Clicking on them gives more info.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 9, 2012 7:47:20 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 9, 2012 7:48:47 PM PST
Thank you Zen Druid! I love "discovering" new (at least to me) artists, and I love almost all artwork associated with LOTR!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Fantasy forum
Participants:  10
Total posts:  14
Initial post:  Mar 6, 2012
Latest post:  Mar 9, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions