Customer Discussions > Fantasy forum

Are there any survivalist books.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-17 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 4, 2012 2:57:49 PM PDT
The type where the world is pretty much destroyed except a few survivors. I think one was called EARTH ABIDES. I read WHEN WORLDS COLLIDE and AFTER WORLDS COLLIDE as a kid and liked them. Stranded on alien planets, etc. That sort of thing

Posted on Aug 4, 2012 6:33:43 PM PDT
K. McNamara says:
Many, many, many...
The keyword you are looking for is post-apocalyptic
Some I've enjoyed.
Eliot Pattison wrote a mystery set in a post-apocalyptic world: Ashes of the Earth: A Mystery of Post-Apocalyptic America
David Brin wrote The Postman
You might want to repost in the science fiction forum.

Posted on Aug 5, 2012 12:30:42 PM PDT
Try _Emergence_ by David Palmer

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2012 8:30:47 PM PDT
R. Wilde says:
One of my favorites is one of Robert Heinlein's "juveniles"... Tunnel in the Sky

Posted on Aug 7, 2012 7:54:21 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 7, 2012 7:56:02 AM PDT
M. Carole says:
K. McNamara is right, for alien worlds I'd suggest a request in sci-fi. But hoo boy, there's a ton of post-apocalyptic literature out there.

A Canticle for Leibowitz A Canticle for Leibowitz
Lucifer's Hammer: Lucifer's Hammer
Random Acts of Senseless Violence: Random Acts of Senseless Violence (Jack Womack)
Memoirs of A SurvivorThe Memoirs of a Survivor
Riddley Walker: Riddley Walker, Expanded Edition
On the Beach: On the Beach (Vintage International)
Swan Song: Swan Song

Plus all the YA PA that's out there right now, like Enclave, The Hunger Games, Divergent, Maze Runner, etc.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 7, 2012 11:09:17 AM PDT
Thanks very much. I read Leibowitz book some years ago but had forgotten it. I'll check out some of the others, and post under sci-fi. Thanks!

Posted on Aug 7, 2012 1:09:14 PM PDT
YIGT says:
Don't forget The Road. Thats a good one a bit of a downer but a pretty decent read. If you wanna go zombie survival try JL bourne hes got a duology of his first two books in one book format thats pretty good.

As for a fantasy survivalist books I cant think of any off the top of my head.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 8, 2012 3:40:34 PM PDT
tunnel in the sky is great but i wouldn't call it post apocalyspe.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 8, 2012 5:22:36 PM PDT
J. Santoro says:
Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank

Posted on Aug 8, 2012 5:36:04 PM PDT
How about The Stand, by Stephen King?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 8, 2012 5:52:05 PM PDT
R. Wilde says:
True, I was going more by the "survivalist" and "stranded on alien planets" part of the OP.

Posted on Aug 15, 2012 9:52:29 AM PDT
FOGE says:
Survivors: A Novel of the Coming Collapse

This author has a few books on the subject including one coming out shortly.

Posted on Sep 1, 2012 9:29:03 PM PDT
Hmm...any fantasy books along this vein? Specifically fantasy (i.e., NOT sci-fi)?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 2, 2012 9:29:45 AM PDT
You could try "A Plague of Angels" by Sheri S. Tepper. It's technically a mix of SF and fantasy but reads much more like fantasy than science fiction. That's the only one I can think of off the top of my head that comes close to this territory in the fantasy genre, though I'm sure there must be others.

Posted on Sep 2, 2012 5:19:35 PM PDT
J. H. Vaughn says:
Here Lies Death
In this book, there are no survivors at all. Not even the main characters.

Posted on Sep 3, 2012 3:57:51 PM PDT
Bryan Walker says:
I'd suggest S. M. Stirling's "Island in the Sea of Time" and "Novel of the Change" series. Island in the Sea of Time isn't really PA, it's about a group of people from today's world (everyone on the island of Nantucket and the immediate vicinity) somehow ending up 2500+ years in the past and the impact modern technology, science, culture, and knowledge has on various ancient cultures. However, it does dovetail nicely with his Change series which takes place in modern times, but the same event that causes Nantucket to go back in time makes all modern technology stop working, modern society completely collapse, and new societies spring up from the ashes.

Posted on Sep 4, 2012 8:56:18 PM PDT
Winter says:
I just read Hell's Reaping by James Bishop. He is a new author and the book was fantastic. I am looking forward to more by him. It is a quick read too.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Fantasy forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Fantasy forum
Participants:  15
Total posts:  17
Initial post:  Aug 4, 2012
Latest post:  Sep 4, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions