Customer Discussions > Fantasy forum

Time travel Novels ? .. pl recommend

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 74 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 25, 2012 1:54:00 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 25, 2012 1:55:49 AM PST
Samual says:
I am particularly interested in time trave fantacy, mystery Novels. I came across one on Amazon - Black Hole , its nice one. I want to read more... please recommend

Posted on Jan 25, 2012 4:28:48 AM PST
That's what I write but don't want to self promote. I love time travel. It's my favorite genre. Also check out the writings of Jack Finny.

Posted on Jan 25, 2012 7:30:38 AM PST
D. Robinson says:
I will be writing one in ten years, I'll send it back once it's finished.

Posted on Jan 25, 2012 7:32:32 AM PST
D. Robinson says:
It's a short story, not a novel, but if you haven't read Ray Bradbury's "A Sound of Thunder," you definitely should.

Posted on Jan 25, 2012 10:37:24 AM PST
S. Reading says:
It is more YA but you can check out Old Magic

Posted on Jan 25, 2012 11:37:28 AM PST
GUEST!! says:
The Time Traveler's Wife is one of my favorite books ever, but I admit it's more on the romance side.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2012 3:21:52 PM PST
K. McNamara says:
Connie Willis writes great time travel books - check out Doomsday Book, To Say Nothing of the Dog, Black Out and All Clear.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2012 3:25:50 PM PST
Foger says:
Lightning by Dean Koontz is real good but over 12 years old. A new one is called Red Ruby or something like that. It's for young adults and good but the plots a little jumpy.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2012 3:42:25 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 25, 2012 3:44:57 PM PST
Time and Again by Jack Finney and, of course, The Time Machine by H.G. Wells. I enthusiastically endorse Connie Willis. To Say Nothing of the Dog is one of my absolute favorites and Doomsday Book is a masterpiece. I haven't read the two WWII books yet. If you can find a copy of Terry Pratchett's Johnny and the Bomb (The Johnny Maxwell Trilogy) I recommend it, too. It's YA but really good. The whole trio of Johnny Maxwell books are amazingly good.

Posted on Jan 25, 2012 3:49:52 PM PST
AmeliaAT says:
I second everyone's recommendation of Connie Willis's books. They're great.

I just read The Wizard of Time (Book 1) by G.L. Breedon, and I really liked it. It's sort of a sci-fi/fantasy cross. YA, but with a much darker second half. There's a lot of philosophy and ethics in it, but it's well done, I thought, and not intrusive. But if you're a big fan of action & adventure, you may find sections of it a bit slower. I didn't, myself, but I could see how others could.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2012 4:03:07 PM PST
Boric says:
Mark Helprin's "Winter's Tale" is a great time travel fantasy-magic realist story

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2012 4:08:00 PM PST
Would you be interested in a novel where the main character lives portions of his life over and over again? In that way , it is kind of like the movie Groundhog Day (except he can change things, unlike the premise in the movie). The novel is Replay by Ken Grimwood.

Posted on Jan 25, 2012 8:04:04 PM PST
Captain says:
The Anubis Gates is the best time travel book I've ever read. If you haven't read Tim Powers you're in for a treat.

The Anubis Gates (Ace Science Fiction)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2012 11:24:52 PM PST
Pratchett's Thief of Time (Discworld) is also very good.

Posted on Jan 26, 2012 12:30:42 AM PST
The accidental time machine is one of my fav time travel books.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 26, 2012 2:35:13 AM PST
I'm a guy and I love The Time Traveller's Wife. All good time travel stories have a touch of romance...Somewhere in Time, even the movie Time Cop....oh and my own. (Shameless, ain't I?)

Posted on Jan 26, 2012 2:42:34 AM PST
I haven't read it but I hear Steven kings, 11-22-63 is pretty good.

Posted on Jan 26, 2012 3:28:34 AM PST
kestergayle says:
Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series is a wonderful read. And I also recommend Jack Finney's books.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 26, 2012 6:16:44 AM PST
GUEST!! says:
My wife got it for Christmas, but she won't let me read it until she does and she's currently slogging through the Dresden files.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 26, 2012 6:18:47 AM PST
I thought 11/22/63 was excellent and it does qualify as a time travel novel. I considered it to also be a romance. No horror at all, though that is what most people think when they think King.

Posted on Jan 26, 2012 6:50:46 AM PST
Some other posters have already mentioned some of Terry Pratchett's work, but my favorite story of his that involves time travel is Night Watch. Vimes, while keeping his younger self from becoming a bad cop, has to stop an insane criminal who plans to change history.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 26, 2012 7:13:05 AM PST
Oh, good call.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 26, 2012 9:22:04 AM PST
Lara says:
There is of course the Mammoth Book of Time Travel Romance. Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but it is a collection of short romance stories. All involve time travel. Some of them are really good.

Posted on Jan 26, 2012 9:34:37 AM PST
kestergayle says:
I just checked out the Mammoth book mentioned above, and the product page also lists recommendations for other time travel books. It seemed like quite a few titles to choose from.

Posted on Jan 26, 2012 9:43:07 AM PST
I endorse the recommendations for Jack Finney, Connie Willis and Tim Powers and with minor reservations, the Outlander series. I have a couple of obscure recommendations that are good.

1. The Mirror
2. Time Out of Mind
3. TIME ON MY HANDS: A Novel with Photographs and if you like science fiction, Kage Baker has a wonderful time travel series, referred to collectively as The Company, the first of which is In the Garden of Iden (Company). Her short story collections set in this universe are especially good as well. Cheers and enjoy.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Fantasy forum
Participants:  60
Total posts:  74
Initial post:  Jan 25, 2012
Latest post:  Feb 11, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 11 customers

Search Customer Discussions