Customer Discussions > Fantasy forum

What are not reading anymore?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-23 of 23 posts in this discussion
Posted on Apr 27, 2012 4:01:15 PM PDT
Captain says:
Definitely GRR Martin's ASOIAF. Definitely not Terry Pratchett. He is the only author except Tolkein whose works I re-read over and over.

Oh, I stopped reading The Malazan Book of the Fallen because it's completed. Too bad, that was one series that could have gone on forever as far as I was concerned.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 26, 2012 5:10:58 PM PDT
"Stick with it."

I'll do that. It must be that it's just a slow start and I keep having to put it down for other things.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 26, 2012 2:48:18 PM PDT
Jim Webster says:
Reaper Man is worth pressing on with

Posted on Apr 26, 2012 2:46:18 PM PDT
Righty, having read most of Sir terry's output, Reaper man is a much more grown up book than the Tiffany Aching series. Stick with it.

MK, I stopped reading Mr Martin after the first book...

Posted on Apr 26, 2012 2:24:59 PM PDT
MK Hill says:
I have Dance with Dragons ready to go on my Kindle but FOC was so bad I almost can't bring myself to read it.
The last WOT book has to be better than the crap leading up to it. As much as everyone else wanks Sanderson, I was not impressed with the direction the story turned. Mat became a clown and the descriptive magic was missing. I don't care how many notes were left behind, how many assistants help or what Harriet knows - it ain't the same.
TOR is holding it so Tom can milk that cash cow for all it's worth; something he has excelled at over the years.

Posted on Apr 26, 2012 2:14:35 PM PDT
I stopped after about book 6 in WoT, after about book 5 in Sword of Truth, and have slowed down considerably reading A Feast for Crows (ASOIAF). I'm also struggling with Pratchett's "Reaper Man" which seems strange after zipping through the Tiffany Aching stuff.

Posted on Apr 26, 2012 11:58:49 AM PDT
I've stopped reading the Kim Harrison series, for now. I may pick it up again.
I quit Wheel of Time around the time that the author died.
I am still sticking with ASOIAF series. I just can't help myself. I love the HBO series as well. I think Peter Dinklage (the Imp) is stealing the show.
I quit James Patterson a long time ago. I realized I was reading the same book over and over again.
I too, am jealous that Mr. Jones gets to see Terry Pratchett. I am a recent discover of Terry and only have read 2 so far plus Good Omens that he wrote with Neil Gaiman.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 26, 2012 11:52:56 AM PDT
Will Macmillan Jones,

Yes. I am deeply envious. That is the chance of a lifetime. Please give us an update afterwards. The things that come out of that man's brain ... I love his trolls - silicone based, they become brighter when they are cooler. Granny Weatherwax, my personal role model. Seamstresses. He is amazing.

Pam

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012 11:45:40 PM PDT
Jim Webster says:
That's something to look forward to.
I confess to a degree of jealousy as well.

Posted on Apr 25, 2012 11:34:50 PM PDT
I'll make you jealous now, Pam. My writing friend has just got us tickets to hear Sir Terry speak at the Hay literary festival

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012 2:15:58 PM PDT
Savage Lucy, speaking of Terry Pratchett, I completely relate. I can't imagine a year without a Terry Pratchett novel.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012 10:51:18 AM PDT
Jim Webster says:
It's one advantage of threads like this, they can jolt you into re-reading because so many other people have good things to say about the book

Posted on Apr 25, 2012 9:43:32 AM PDT
L. Tolbert says:
I have on occasion gone back to read a book I did not enjoy when I was younger. I guess sometimes you grow into a book too.

Posted on Apr 25, 2012 4:54:53 AM PDT
Jim Webster says:
I had to fight my way through The Shadow of the Torturer (Book of the New Sun, Vol. 1) and the other two books in the Book of the New Sun series, on the grounds I'd already paid for them so I felt obliged to read them.

I wonder if I were to go back to them thirty years later I might enjoy them more but haven't had the heart to

Posted on Apr 25, 2012 4:05:06 AM PDT
It is very reassuring to know that I am ot the only one who doesn't like ASOIAF.....

Maybe I'll come out of hiding now.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2012 11:05:47 PM PDT
AndrewA says:
I actually made it through the full Goodkind series. I seem to have enjoyed it more than most did. I did have to give up on Wheel of Time though. I think it was book 6 that I finally called it quits.

Posted on Apr 24, 2012 10:41:24 PM PDT
D. Robinson says:
Wheel of Time... I no longer care how it ends.

Posted on Apr 24, 2012 10:28:43 PM PDT
Bruise Bane says:
Gave up on Wheel of Time after the fourth book. After the final book comes out, I might just read the summaries on Encyclopaedia WoT, and then just read the final book, because I want to know how it ends, but don't want to read all of the in between nonsense.

Also gave up on A Song of Ice & Fire. Just going to follow the TV series from here on out. I love the characters (esp. Tyrion) but I just can't do it.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2012 9:48:55 PM PDT
K. McNamara says:
I also gave up on GRRM. And Terry Goodkind, and Wheel of Time ....

Posted on Apr 24, 2012 11:58:02 AM PDT
Savage Lucy says:
There are only 2 - 3 Discworld books I haven't read. With the state of Terry Pratchett's healt, there might not be many more. So it's like I'll always have a few I haven't read, I guess?

Posted on Apr 24, 2012 11:54:59 AM PDT
GRRM.....

*Grabs tin hat and runs for cover*

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2012 7:15:32 AM PDT
M. Carole says:
Most UF. Kim Harrison, Patricia Briggs, MaryJanice Davidson, Lilith Saintcrow, and Yasmin Galenorn. It's all the same stuff after a while.

Initial post: Apr 23, 2012 12:33:19 PM PDT
L. Tolbert says:
I just realized I'm getting very tired of the Kim Harrison books. I think it's the main character, as I still like all the other characters, but I'm going to have to stop reading the series or take a hiatus or something because I often want to smack the main character repeatedly about the head and neck.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with the writing or the author, but maybe I've just outgrown that character.

Are there any characters or authors you refuse to read now? There's nothing distinctly wrong with the books but you're maybe just tired of reading them.

Do you stop altogether? Take a short and skip a couple of books? Or do what I'm doing and taking a nice long break from any books featuring quirky, butt-kicking women?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Fantasy forum
Participants:  14
Total posts:  23
Initial post:  Apr 23, 2012
Latest post:  Apr 27, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions