Best Books of the Month Shop Costumes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Grocery New Kitchen Scale from AmazonBasics Amazon Gift Card Offer gdwf gdwf gdwf  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now Halloween
Customer Discussions > Fantasy forum

Fantasy With An Apocalypse Setting

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-15 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 27, 2012 12:28:59 PM PDT
Grant Feltis says:
I wasn't sure really how to phrase the title of this topic, but hopefully it does the job well enough and someone can offer some assistance. I've been trying to find books that offer an End of the World setting yet include elements from Fantasy. The only one have read and could find that really fits on the global scale I'm looking for is I Am Legend by Richard Matheson. Unfortunately my efforts to find something similar have yielded nothing.

I'm rather hoping I just haven't looked in the right places and that there has been something published along those lines in the last 58 years...

Posted on May 27, 2012 12:40:59 PM PDT
Try "A Plague of Angels" by Sheri S. Tepper. Definitely post-apocalyptic. (I'd skip the late "sequel", though, "The Waters Rising". It's a sequel in name only.) You could also look at "The Iron Dragon's Daughter". I also have fond memories of "Why Do Birds" by Damon Knight, although that tends more toward science fiction than fantasy.

Some might characterize King's "The Stand" as very dark fantasy ...

Posted on May 27, 2012 1:45:06 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 27, 2012 1:48:32 PM PDT
Captain says:
The Malazan Book of the Fallen is just what you're looking for. Apocalyptic as well as being the greatest epic fantasy ever written after Lord of the Rings (another apocalyptic fantasy when you get right down to it).

Posted on May 27, 2012 1:59:16 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 27, 2012 1:59:42 PM PDT
Rhyta says:
I would recommend Dies the Fire by S.M. Stirling. It is more apocalyptic but has some fantasy/mystical qualities. I have enjoyed it a lot

Posted on May 27, 2012 6:11:40 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 27, 2012 6:16:59 PM PDT
Mistborn trilogy by sanderson. Fantastic story. Very apocalyptic. Dying world, extreme shortages, original magic system, unusual resolution. I have also read malazan, but for harsh world i recommend mistborn. Thete is also a far future series called dying sun that is fantasy based on sci fi premise of our society as the sun has just started cooling. Thinking of name now. Has a torturer as main char i think... or an executioner... hmmm....

Posted on May 28, 2012 7:08:54 AM PDT
Grant Feltis says:
Thanks everyone for the suggestions so far. I have the Mistborn trilogy by Sanderson already so I'll start there and start gathering some of the other titles during my read through.

If anyone thinks of any more titles don't hesitate to post them.

Posted on May 28, 2012 3:30:14 PM PDT
SaunterWedge says:
Make sure to check out Shadow & Claw: The First Half of 'The Book of the New Sun'. It is of the Dying Earth genre and, although magic may not be completely obvious, there are certainly suggestions of the supernatural.
Goblin Winter: of Puppet Kings and Telling Sins and its follow-up Wind of Chains: Fimbulvetr - Book One are set in a post-apocalyptic America but definitely read more like fantasy.

Posted on May 29, 2012 8:03:50 AM PDT
M. Carole says:
Riddley Walker by Russell Hoban.

Posted on May 29, 2012 6:13:02 PM PDT
Grant Feltis says:
Yoga, I'm looking into picking up 'The Book of the New Sun' books as well as the other two further down the road when I can afford another purchase.

M. Carole, I've got Riddley Walker, and I'm looking for titles with more fantasy elements (vampires, magic, goblins, etc.) in combination with the Post-Apocalypse theme.

Posted on May 29, 2012 10:00:19 PM PDT
Kelly says:
Harrison's Rachel Walker books are not quite a total meltdown, but most of humanity has been killed off by a plague and revealed the supernaturals (witches, vampires, etc) that lived among humanity (most of the elves died). The main character is a witch who lives with a vampire. (witch, in these books, is not associated with the sex of the practitioner - it is a more powerful magic user than a warlock - there are male witches and female warlocks)

Posted on May 30, 2012 1:56:05 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 30, 2012 1:56:17 AM PDT
D. Robinson says:
Donaldson's Thomas Covenant series is pretty bleak, but I wouldn't wish those books on anyone.

Posted on May 30, 2012 7:51:40 AM PDT
Grant Feltis says:
Kelly, I've read through Kim Harrison's Rachel Morgan books. They're a good read, but I was disappointed when Harrison didn't utilize her chance to create a more dire setting in the latest book after the previous few had regular mentions of a hell on earth type of fallout.

D. Robinson, I'll look into the series all the same. Might be the first couple of books are worth reading.

Posted on Jun 1, 2012 7:18:45 AM PDT
Captain, I'm with you on the whole Malazan thing. Definitely my fave series for a loooong time. And definitely apocalyptic.
Grant, I'd reccomend giving them a try.

Posted on Jun 1, 2012 7:37:22 AM PDT
A. Hope Yawn says:
I started reading Thomas Covenant when I was younger and couldn't get through it. However, I revisited it a few years ago, and while it was bleak, and you are constanlty irritated at the protagonist, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Posted on Jun 1, 2012 9:31:42 AM PDT
So Grant - how are you liking Mistborn?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Fantasy forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Fantasy forum
Participants:  11
Total posts:  15
Initial post:  May 27, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 1, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions