Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors
Customer Discussions > Fantasy forum

Looking for Pirate-themed fantasy

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 36 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 3, 2012 9:47:36 PM PDT
Looking for a pirate or sea-faring fantasy series. I've read Liveship Traders (loved it) and the Chathrand Voyage series (loved it). Any other suggestions?

Posted on Jun 4, 2012 12:33:01 AM PDT
Thomas Head says:
Seems like Tom Holt wrote some good pirate fantasy. Pearls of the Elf Lords looks like it might have a pirate theme... but I haven't read it, so I can't say for sure.

Posted on Jun 4, 2012 3:06:25 AM PDT
Andrew Monk says:
Hi Matthew,

Not sure if its what your looking for but try The Voyage of the Jerle Shannara Trilogy. It's about airships(like ships that fly) rather than pirates but give it a go

Cheers

Andrew Monk

Posted on Jun 4, 2012 4:46:49 AM PDT
You could try the Inda series by Sherwood Smith, the sea part only begins halfway through the first book, and later the story cuts between the sea thread and the land thread, but it is a great series, and includes sea/pirate battles.

Posted on Jun 4, 2012 7:16:53 AM PDT
M. Carole says:
Mad Kestrel by Missy Massey was pretty good.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2012 8:51:05 AM PDT
I actually own this series already too, just haven't read them yet. I haven't read any of the Shannara books, so I'll probably start at the beginning and get to Jerle in due course.

Posted on Jun 4, 2012 8:51:13 AM PDT
Thanks, all. Keep them coming...

Posted on Jun 4, 2012 10:55:39 AM PDT
On Stranger Tides by Tim Powers.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2012 11:28:55 AM PDT
Thomas Head says:
Oops it was Tim Powers I was thinking of... not Tom Holt.

Posted on Jun 4, 2012 1:25:43 PM PDT
M. Carole says:
Also, Chris Wooding has his Ketty Jay trilogy, including Retribution Falls, The Black Lung Captain, and the latest is Iron Jackal. It's pseudo steampunk so the ships are airships, not ocean going, but the writing is fantastic and he maintains the original swashbuckling intent (Serenity is a good comparision.) Might be of interest to you and if nothing else, he knows how to tell a great story.

Posted on Jun 4, 2012 8:06:36 PM PDT
D. Robinson says:
Who is a pirate's favorite fantasy writer?

George Arr Arr Martin!

Yah, I got nothin

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2012 8:21:20 PM PDT
LOL. This was good for a laugh, at least. =)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 5, 2012 1:57:33 PM PDT
Heather Myst says:
I think you listed the two best Matthew. I have read the Jerle Shannara and Inda series and both were good in my opinion. The David Durham Acacia series has some sea raider parts that were very good.

Posted on Jun 5, 2012 3:54:47 PM PDT
I have Acacia...another on my "to-read" list, along with On Stranger Tides (which I'm quite eager to read). Thanks, all! Keep them coming if you think of any more.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 5, 2012 6:20:14 PM PDT
Are you okay with older work? Treasure Island and Kidnapped are the ultimate pirate stories...

Posted on Jun 5, 2012 6:22:45 PM PDT
Yeah, good books, but they're not fantasy.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2012 11:50:59 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 7, 2012 11:53:41 AM PDT
> D. Robinson says:
> Who is a pirate's favorite fantasy writer?
>
> George Arr Arr Martin!
>
> Yah, I got nothin

*collapses into laughing heap*

I seem to remember some pirate activity in the Elric of Melniboné) novels, although it has been a long time since I read them.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2012 3:50:19 PM PDT
Rebecca says:
Naomi Novik's Temeraire books are for young adults, but well worth reading. Think Patrick O'Brian with dragons.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2012 6:16:46 AM PDT
Firebird says:
Shane Moore
White Wraith

Its new this year but the main character ends up on a pirate ship after running away from his tribe.

Posted on Jun 29, 2012 12:52:49 AM PDT
If you can forgive the self promotion, Dead Men Tell No Lies (World's Enough Cycle) and its sequel, Dead Men Say No Prayers (World's Enough Cycle), involve a fair bit of piracy, nautical adventure, and plenty of swashbuckling.

Posted on Jun 29, 2012 3:59:00 PM PDT
Nyki M. says:
Castaways of the Flying Dutchman by Brian Jacques is pretty good =)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2012 12:19:55 PM PDT
Self-promotion is actually against Amazon's rules. I'll check out your books (and say thanks for the heads up), but your post will likely be deleted by Amazon. Just an FYI.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2012 2:28:30 PM PDT
D. Joyce says:
What specifically did you like about those books? What are you interested in? Simple prose or literary, flowery writing? Setting? Character? Plot?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2012 2:33:15 PM PDT
I liked that the setting and plot had to do with pirates or sea-faring. Really they're just good books. Good writing, interesting stories, deep characters. The first priority is just on it being a good book, but I'm particularly looking for good fantasy books with those in mind.

Posted on Jun 30, 2012 2:37:02 PM PDT
D. Joyce says:
Perhaps R. A. Salvatore's "The Pirate King"? It's the second book in his Transitions trilogy, so you might want to start with The Orc King.

Synopsis for The Pirate King: When Captain Deudermont comes to the aid of the city of Luskan, which has become a safe haven for the Sword Coast's most dangerous pirates, dark elf Drizzt Do'Urden is drawn into the struggle to save the city from itself.

Described as an intricately-plotted, epic fantasy, involving the following themes: pirates, elves, good vs. evil, rulers, battles, and forgotten realms/imaginary places.

Here's a snippet from a Goodreads review:
"Unlike the other trilogies that have graced the Drizzit series, the Transitions trilogy is three seperate stories that come together for one final battle, rather than one story split into three books.

After settling the ties between the dwarves and the orcs, Drizzit is given a plea to help another old friend, Captain Deudermont. He is trying to make the impossible happen, make a haven for pirates, thieves and rouge magicians into a paradise for traders and travelers alike. Over a few years it does seem to happen, but underhanded tricks threaten to pull away that dream by the seams. Not even Drizzit might be able to stop things this time. After all, he can only be in one place at one time, and he is against many enemies that are all around him and he doesn't even know it."

If you do check it out, please let me know if this fits the bill or if I missed the mark entirely (and please do answer my previous post). I'm a student working on my master's in librarianship, with a focus on readers' advisory librarianship, so it will be helpful to know these things. Cheers.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Fantasy forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Fantasy forum
Participants:  20
Total posts:  36
Initial post:  Jun 3, 2012
Latest post:  Oct 8, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions