Customer Discussions > Fantasy forum

Recommendations? Romance without love triangles

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-16 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 16, 2010 9:09:05 PM PST
C. Lamm says:
Hello,

I am looking for a few good books/ book series to read. I use these as a break from grad school research articles, so I am hoping for something fairly light. I like romance in a story, particularly in series (though stand alone books are fine), but I cannot stand love triangles. I want to read about true love that is unbelievably true, though it does not have to be the main plot point of the story. As examples, I have really enjoyed Goodkind's Sword of Truth series as well as Snyder's Study series. If anyone has any good suggestions I would love to hear them.

Thanks!

Posted on Feb 16, 2010 10:48:33 PM PST
J.E. Johnson says:
Hey C. Lamm!
I would suggest Sharon Shinn's Twelve Houses series (but not The Thirteenth House (The Twelve Houses, Book 2) becaue there is a love triangle in that one :Ţ BUT if you want to stick to the series, you might just read through it quickly and clench your jaw as you do). Her other books are good though.
The best fantasy romance that I've read has been Lois McMaster Bujold's Beguilement (The Sharing Knife, Book 1) - very good with a focus on the two main characters. You might also want to try Warprize (I would say it is closest to Snyder's Study series).
I also really liked Moira J. Moore's Resenting the Hero and the follow ups. There's a possibility of a love triangle in these, but it never amounts to anything serious :).
One more, Jaran (The Jaran, Book 1) by Kate Elliot. Now, I saved this for last because it takes a while for our hero and heroine to figure things out, and our heroine 'tests the waters' a bit before the end, but it didn't bother me too much so it might be worth checking into. Now, I heard the second book breaks your rules, so you might just want to stick to the first one and pretend it ends there :D. Hope these help!
-J.E. Johnson The Legend of Oescienne: The Finding (Volume 1)

Posted on Feb 16, 2010 10:49:06 PM PST
soul says:
Hmmm, I liked Goodkind's romance, although I did not enjoy the violence. I've searched for similar romantic themes, with little luck, and I'm interested in recommendations as well. I will say:

I enjoyed David Edding's Belgarion, although it was certainly not an "immediate" true love,but rather a lengthy unfolding. It is certainly fantasy lite. Some people don't care for princess Ce'Nedra, but I think she grows on ya. The series is young adult, emphasising young.

I would recommend Feist's Riftwar Saga, but it may not be exactly right. Not many pages are devoted to romance, although I think it is a plot driver for much of the series (maybe I'm just keyed in to that). There is a triangle early on, Pug, Caroline, and Roland, but it is not a "gut renching" triangle. It takes a while to even get to the Prince Arutha/Princess Anita connection, books 3 and 4 mostly. Romance is not central to this series; mostly the development of Pug the magician, Tomas the warrior, Prince Arutha the, well, prince, and a few others. I liked the series and appreciated the alluded and experienced romance.

The first book in L.E. Modesitt's Recluce Series, "The Magic of Recluce" has a love that is interesting, realistic in some ways. It is not the focus of the novel, but I found it light and heartening. Some of the writing, the visual theme setting, is poor. And there may be a triangle if you are technical, but nothing dramatic. The book follows the growth of Lerris, a budding order master/mage, and wood craftsman. The book explores Lerris's feelings more than anyone else (typical protagonist). I found it to be a rewarding finish.

Jennifer Roberon's sword dancer saga takes a stab at some romance. That series is more Goodkind reminiscent, in that the two main characters, Tiger and Del, spend most of their time together. There is growth and change as the series continues, but it is excruciating early on (I think Tiger is drunk for a good portion of the books). Not highly rated, I didn't particularly enjoy and I don't think I finished the third book, but for some people, it may be right.

Maybe the best for last, although I have not read it :) I've heard Elizabeth Haydon's Rhapsody series is a good fantasy romance. I tried to read one time, and just couldn't stick with it, I don't know why. The writing was pretty good I thought. There was early potential for an interesting fantasy plot. I've heard the main character, Rhapsody is too perfect and this is a failing of the series. She is supposedly beyond beautiful. She's also a prostitue at the start of the series, if I'm not mistaken... odd. Anyway, I'd like to hear from someone who's read it. Or any other suggestions anyone has, or coments on the one's I suggested. Thanks and good luck. ----Soul

Posted on Feb 16, 2010 11:44:54 PM PST
soul says:
After reading about Snyder's Study series, (I've not read them), some of my rec's may not be right. However, I would suggest Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn trilogy. He's a creative writer, good with both male and female pov. The Final Empire (Mistborn, Book 1)

Posted on Mar 16, 2010 9:32:22 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 16, 2010 9:46:31 AM PDT
I would recommend Bounty (Volume 1) by Harper Alexander. Great book, great story, great characters, great relationships. No triangles :) She also has a book called Mind Games, which is good, though not quite as good as Bounty, in my opinion. There isn't really a romance in Mind Games, but it has the perfect groundworkd and there probably will be one in the sequel. Or try Crown Duel (Crown Duel / Court Duel). It has a slight triangle, but never anything serious

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 18, 2010 12:23:50 AM PDT
Boric says:
Have a look at:

Patricia McKillip's The Riddlemaster of Hed and also The Forgotten Beasts of Eld

Robin McKinley's Beauty

Helen Lowe's Thornspell

Posted on Mar 18, 2010 1:05:21 AM PDT
D. Broda Jr. says:
The Hallowed Hunt comes to mind.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 18, 2010 8:39:30 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 18, 2010 8:51:24 AM PDT
WriterGal says:
There are some great books already listed. I can only add The Curse of Chalion and Paladin of Souls by Bujold. These books are in the same series as Hallowed Hunt. You'll need to read Chalion before reading Paladin of Souls, however. I also recommend To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis (time travel, so science fiction, rather than fantasy). But Willis's book is so funny and includes romance. Makes a nice break from grad school work. (Trust me. I'm in grad school too. So, I know how that is.)

I also recommend Cold Comfort Farm (Penguin Classics Deluxe Edition) by Stella Gibbons. Straight up hilarious. Not a fantasy, but rather a screwball comedy of sorts (British) with an matchmaking character.

Posted on Mar 18, 2010 1:02:39 PM PDT
Writergal: Cold Comfort Farm sounds like it's for me! Thanks. :-)

Posted on Mar 18, 2010 4:34:39 PM PDT
Jakey's Mom says:
What about Graceling by Kristen Cashore or Poison Study by Maria Snyder?

Posted on Mar 18, 2010 4:43:32 PM PDT
Melissa says:
I'm surprised I haven't seen C.L. Wilson's TAIREN SOUL series. It's an incredible fantasy centered around a fated pairing. Elle is a human who is fascinated by the fey, especially the fey king Rain who can turn into a tairen making him the Tairen Soul. She loves all the fey tales, especially everything about the mage wars a thousand years ago when Rain scorched the earth because the evil mage killed his beloved heart mate. Now the fey are making their regular visit to the human king, but for the first time in a thousand years the Tairen Soul will be with them. Ellie takes her little sisters to see the fey march through the city on the way to the king's castle. Imagine her surprise when The Tairen Soul literally steps out of the sky and tell her she is his soul mate. Then things really take off from there, the evil mages are back with a plot for world domination and the tairen and fey are dying out. It looks like it will all come down to Rain and Ellie and possibly an epic battle!

This is one of the best, most engrossing series I've come across in a long time. It is seriously addictive. A word of warning the first two books were actually written as one long book, but the publisher broke them into two. There is a killer cliffhanger at the end of the first book.

Posted on Mar 19, 2010 1:55:03 PM PDT
Jakey's Mom says:
I love the Tairen Soul series! It's amazing!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2010 6:30:20 AM PDT
WriterGal says:
Archer
Great! I love Cold Comfort Farm! It's so quirky!

Posted on Mar 20, 2010 7:51:15 PM PDT
Well, I went and bought myself a copy. I LOVE British humor in general (especially when it's quirky).

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2010 3:53:59 PM PDT
WriterGal says:
I hope you enjoy it!

Posted on Mar 21, 2010 5:55:42 PM PDT
So, I'm sitting here with my feet propped up and my computer in my lap, there's a fire blazing away in the stone fireplace, the dogs are asleep (I ate a nice roasted game hen and gave them the leftovers), and I'm thinking...what's missing? Ah! The wind is rising, rain is imminent, and I need some quirky British humor!

O Kindle, Where Art Thou?

See you later!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Fantasy forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Fantasy forum
Participants:  10
Total posts:  16
Initial post:  Feb 16, 2010
Latest post:  Mar 21, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions