Customer Discussions > Fantasy forum

I'm looking for an anti-heroine

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 57 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jun 28, 2012 6:13:35 PM PDT
fogofwar says:
There's a new book by an author I know, called Timeslider, by Cherokee Stein Ross. Contemporary paranormal but very different from the usual--the author takes a very intelligent take on it, and mashes up a cozy college campus story with time travel back to the 14th century. If you like smart and quirky heroines, there are several you'll like. Timeslider

Posted on Jun 28, 2012 6:52:39 PM PDT
Shaella the Dragon Queen is your girl. Just look at her on the cover Kings, Queens, Heroes, & Fools (The Wardstone Trilogy Book Two)

Posted on Jun 28, 2012 7:08:05 PM PDT
eyduck says:
I just discovered Bloodlines (Demons of Oblivion) and am in LOVE with this series. The heroine is a vampire, and not a nice one at all. It is witty and sharp and flat out fun. Don't let the cover fool you, this is not romance. Just kickarse urban fantasy.

Posted on Jul 1, 2012 8:04:27 AM PDT
Ada Davis says:
Although it is actually science fiction, not fantasy - you might like Joan Vinge's The Snow Queen

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2012 10:24:38 AM PDT
C. Martin says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2012 6:27:02 PM PDT
W. Mc Kinley says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jul 5, 2012 12:57:41 AM PDT
Grisu says:
Monzcarro Mercatto from Best Served Cold (Joe Abercrombie) pretty much fits your bill there.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 5, 2012 1:23:43 AM PDT
Shenanigans says:
Can u tell me a bit about the book Maledicte. Is there any romance in it, other than the heroine being driven to vengeance by it?

Do we get to read the heros POV? Is thee an interaction between them throughout the novel? And is t sexually graphic or warm?

I now its too many questions, and it seems like my kinda book so i really wanna read it without wasting my time.

Thanks!

Posted on Jul 5, 2012 2:31:12 AM PDT
I would check out the Mistborn Trilogy Vin is a great character who starts out poor and a push over, but then she suddenly comes into her gift of being a Mistborn, and ends up having great power. She's also a tomboy that has to learn to be a lady at the same time. The genre is steampunk and fantasy put together.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 5, 2012 2:42:33 AM PDT
Kiki T. says:
Hey N. Khaliq, There are two love interests in the story. Romance is a really strong element in the book, but it doesn't overwhelm the plot.

Because Maledicte is possessed for most of the book, the POV is mostly the characters closest to her, which is usually a love interest. Her best friend/first love isn't there for most of the first part of the book, but the other love interest is there then. It's not sexually graphic, though her patron is a sort of licentious old perv, so sexual situations are mentioned.

It's one of my fav books, but it's just hard to say whether someone else would like it. It's heavily character driven, and the main character and her best friend/love are definitely anti-heroes. The writing style reminded me of Jacqueline Carey (maybe because of the constant machinations), but the plot read more like the old, pure fantasy Patricia Briggs, only much darker. No idea if you know those authors, but I hope that this helps :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 5, 2012 3:58:01 AM PDT
Shenanigans says:
Im really not into fantasy and paranormal, my onky exception was the Into the Dark Lands (The Sundered, Book 1)..maledict sounds interesting, perhaps i will give it a shot. I have to mentally prepare myself first for paranormals/fantasy lol

Do u have any recs that arent para/fantasy and are very dark and edgy?
I really like meredith duran and anne stuart. Their characters are usually anti-heros...until they fall in love,ofcourse.

Posted on Jul 9, 2012 12:02:33 AM PDT
Kiki T. says:
I bought every one of the The Sundered books years ago and have yet to make it past the second chapter. So tedious! Though I'm sure if I could just push through a bit more...

Hmmn as for dark and edgy...Unless your current address is under a rock, I guess you've read Girl With a Dragon Tattoo. As for some others, Exit Strategy by Kelly Armstrong has a female contract killer as a protagonist. Cat Catcher by Caroline Shaw is crime lit, with an emotionally/physically scarred heroine. For a gritty crime book, you could try The Magician's Tale by David Hunt. The protagonist is a colour blind photographer who has to investigate when her photography subject/male prostitute/crush gets hacked up.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2012 12:26:51 AM PDT
Kotori says:
This is YA but the fly by night by Francis hardinge has a great anti-heroine in its main character! In the series is verdigris deep, fabulous! They're really intelligent books and well worth the time for an adult audience.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2012 12:29:18 AM PDT
Kotori says:
Omg have to second the C J Cherryh recommendation! Absolutely awesome reading.
And terry Pritchett is always a good idea.

Posted on Jul 9, 2012 8:39:25 AM PDT
satya says:

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 10, 2012 3:29:52 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 10, 2012 4:14:52 AM PDT]

Posted on Jul 10, 2012 3:15:27 PM PDT
C.Renee says:
Lily in this story was interesting, insecure, kind of mouthy...but she grows on you. young adult fantasy, magic, love, dragons.

Evandra Chronicles: Lily's Quest (Volume 1)

Lily's Quest (Evandra Chronicles)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 10, 2012 5:11:31 PM PDT
J. Whelan says:
Cilantron wrote:
> Elric was a dude.

Don't be technical. She was still an excellent anti-heroine.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2012 9:04:58 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 11, 2012 9:08:21 AM PDT
J. Whelan says:
Okay, here's a serious answer:

Queen Orual, from TIL WE HAVE FACES

I dunno if she's what you're looking for, but she's definitely not "cookie cutter".

Posted on Jul 11, 2012 1:06:40 PM PDT
GROWNUP LADY says:
Wow, This has been a wonderful thread to read, so many great reccomendations. I have just updated my book list from all you folks have said. It is really helpful if the author and book name are mentioned as searching for just a charector is a bit difficult. Maybe I'm just not as adept as others in researching but thanks to all who did think to add both :D Sincerly Caroline

Posted on Aug 27, 2012 10:38:39 AM PDT
S. Ewing says:
Bump :)

Posted on Aug 27, 2012 1:00:45 PM PDT
M. Carole says:
Okay, then, bump it is. Jim Hines turned some of the fairy tale princess tropes on their ears with his Stepsister series, starting with: The Stepsister Scheme (PRINCESS NOVELS). Similiar to what Gregory Macguire did so well before he got stuck in his Wicked rut.

Posted on Sep 7, 2012 5:41:50 AM PDT
Second the Jim Hines recco. I think he's better than Maguire ever was, by YMMV.

Also, C J Cherryh's Morgaine is a compelling figure. Not exactly a heroine, but rather driven by Awful Purpose. Well worth reading.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2012 8:39:50 AM PDT
M. Carole says:
Matthew, we have similiar taste, I plugged Morgaine somewhere earlier here myself. She's my favorite anti-heroine of all times, especially since she stays unaccessible the whole series (which is why she's so compelling, IMHO.) If you haven't already read them, I'd also suggest Lynn Abbey's Rifkind, starting with Daughter of the Bright Moon.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 10, 2012 10:32:19 AM PDT
Harlen Bayha says:
Try Chuck Wendig's Blackbird. The heroine is very anti-.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Fantasy forum
Participants:  40
Total posts:  57
Initial post:  Mar 25, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 23, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 9 customers

Search Customer Discussions