Customer Discussions > Fantasy forum

Recommend me books where the protagonist start as a child but grows up throughout the book

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-42 of 42 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jun 24, 2012 4:00:08 PM PDT
Will doesn't exactly grow up in The Dark is Rising series. He's 11 in the first book and not much older in the last book. At least chronologically. They're not coming of age books, though they are very, very VERY good.

Try Sabrael, Lirael and Abhorson by Garth Nix. Probably his very best books.

Most of Mercedes Lackey's books, certainly her Valdemar ones, have this theme. THAT will keep you busy for months!

Posted on Jun 24, 2012 8:19:17 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jun 24, 2012 8:36:06 PM PDT
If you're into Arthurian myth, Mary Stewart's books (starting with "The Crystal Cave") might be a good selection. Another good one is Neil Gaiman's "The Graveyard Book", which, while technically YA, is still fabulous. It's worth reading just for the Ghoul chapter and for Liza the witch-girl.

Posted on Jun 24, 2012 9:26:29 PM PDT
Mary says:
A little more grown-up is the Miles Vorkosigan series by Bujold. His parents' and his infant backstory is given in Cordelia's Honor, then you get to see his teen struggles in Warrior's Apprentice and Mountains of Mourning. And he goes on from there, continuing to mature, as well as get through various mysteries, battles and disasters.

Posted on Jun 28, 2012 10:10:21 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 28, 2012 10:26:22 AM PDT
Karen Mead says:
It's been mentioned already, but I immediately thought of Raymond E. Feist's Magician series. It may be rose-colored glasses since I was really young when I read it, but I kind of think of that as my standard of reference for traditional fantasy.

Anyone else having a problem with half of their post getting cut off? I've had a couple of posts where the second half is MIA, and I have to edit it back in later.

Posted on Jun 28, 2012 11:26:34 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 28, 2012 12:32:08 PM PDT
Crystal Singer - Anne McCaffery
Edit:
Enders Game

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 28, 2012 5:14:35 PM PDT
The fantasy novel "Sealing the Paladin's Light" by Karl Klim. Search by Title as Amazon has the e-book version under mispelled name. On the e-book version you can read the first twenty pages or so. The story has some good twists but the main person does pick up some side-kicks off and on.
Bob

Posted on Jun 28, 2012 6:06:08 PM PDT
Andrielle says:
Robin Hobb
Farseer Trilogy

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2012 7:09:13 PM PDT
Just read Return of the White Deer. Story starts off with hero as 12 years old. Flashbacks to birth and being younger. He grows up in a year. Ends up being a king. Matures fast. Strong characters. Even the horse. Really enjoyed the last half of it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2012 7:56:47 PM PDT
You didn't only read it, you wrote it. So stop spamming your own book.

Posted on Jun 29, 2012 10:21:27 PM PDT
Robert says:
While unfortunately not entirely set from the main protagonists PoV throughout the various series, the penultimate fantasy series has always been for me a long standing run of books by R.A. Salvatore. While not penned first, The Dark Elf Trilogy(Homeland, Exile, and Sojourn) tell the beginning into the adolescent(for an elf) years of a certain drow named Drizzt Do'Urden (that I'm sure more than a few people are familiar with after so many years now). The Icewind Dale Trilogy(which was actually penned first) picks up the story after which another 15-20 books at least have been written over the years continuing the story and various off shoots of popular characters.

I would also most definitely agree with those suggesting Raymond E. Feist's "Riftwar" series, starting with Magician. Again an excellent read, starting with a main protagonist and his best friend as they grow up, ending I believe next year(March-May 2013ish) with the last book in the series.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 10, 2012 11:21:58 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 10, 2012 4:16:28 PM PDT]

Posted on Jul 10, 2012 12:38:03 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 10, 2012 12:40:06 PM PDT
Highest rated book in fantasy is exactly what you requested in this thread:
Raven's Shadow Book One: Blood Song (Raven's Shadow 1)
171 5 star ratings, 10 4 star, 2 3 star at the time I posted this response. Check the book out - only $2.99 now.
Protagonist starts as a child, and is raised in a the fighting branch of a religious order, but the story is so much more than that. Do yourself a favor and check it out.

No, I am NOT the author. I do not know the author. I'm just a big fan.

I'd also like to add my vote to the previous mentions: Belgariad, Mallorean, and Feists "Magician" series. Those were all pleasant reading.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 10, 2012 2:10:50 PM PDT
Ha, I was going to suggest that, too!

Posted on Jul 10, 2012 3:06:38 PM PDT
C.Renee says:
this story starts off with an insecure teenager and she becomes a strong and confident woman by the end...magic, dragons, love, fairies... loved the story and twist at the end!

Evandra Chronicles: Lily's Quest (Volume 1)
Lily's Quest (Evandra Chronicles)

Posted on Jul 11, 2012 7:23:21 AM PDT
lxm16 says:
Peter Morwood, "The Horse Lord" and "The Demon Lord".

Posted on Jul 11, 2012 5:49:28 PM PDT
(the elf) says:
The Pillar of the Sky A great book about an outcast boy who grows up to do great things.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Fantasy forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Fantasy forum
Participants:  38
Total posts:  42
Initial post:  Jan 10, 2012
Latest post:  Jul 11, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions