Customer Discussions > Fantasy forum

After Ice and Fire: Looking for a good series

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-73 of 73 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2012 9:45:05 PM PDT
First Law is awesome...just finished book 2 and starting book 3 tonight. Mistborn series is excellent. Really anything by Sanderson is fantastic...give him a shot. Warbreaker is my favorite, and it's a standalone, so it's a good place to try him out.

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2012 9:47:08 PM PDT
Man, I read the first one and found it to be poorly written and super derivative. Being derivative I could live with (because, what isn't, these days?), but not the poorly written part. I thought the characters and storyline had promise, just couldn't get past the cheesiness and bad grammar.

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2012 9:50:34 PM PDT
Night Angel series is my 2nd favorite series of all-time (first is Rothfuss's Kingkiller Chronicles). Chathrand was also awesome, but books 1 and 2 were MUCH better than 3. I thought it really lost steam and seemed really rushed. Also loved the Gentlemen Bastards. I own Acacia and the first two Thorn and Bone books, but haven't read them yet...soon. Haven't heard of the other series yet...thanks for the heads up, as I'm going to check them out now.

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2012 9:51:46 PM PDT
"Have you read The Name of the Wind, by Patrick Rothfuss?"

YES, YES, a thousand times YES! The second one, The Wise Man's Fear is also excellent...maybe even better. I think they're actually tied for me, but if I HAD to choose, I'd say the first is my favorite.

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2012 9:53:13 PM PDT
You really should give it another shot. It took me about 1/3 of the first book until I really got into it. Worth it. I still think it's somewhat overrated, but WELL worth a read.

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2012 9:53:55 PM PDT
I own Sword of Shadows and Prince of Nothing books, but haven't read either series yet...bumping those up in my list too.

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2012 9:54:25 PM PDT
You guys are killing me. Nightrunner also owned but not yet read. Bumping it too.

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2012 9:55:02 PM PDT
I thought book 1 was OK, book 2 was actually much improved. Haven't read past that. Overall, decent reads.

Posted on May 13, 2012 8:55:07 AM PDT
Name of the Wind was wonderful. The second meandered the way GRRM wanders in Storm and Dance. First Acacia book was also excellent. Have to give Night Angel another chance.
Your reply to Patricia Hanlon's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

Posted on May 13, 2012 12:53:51 PM PDT
The whole series is one long story, and one of the things I appreciate about it is that it doesn't "go" where you expect. I don't see that as meandering, but to each his/her own. Night Angel is fantastic. His newer series, Lightbringer, is also excellent.

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2012 10:55:34 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2012 6:32:51 AM PDT
Please stop spamming every thread with what I'm guessing is your own book. Use the Meet the Authors thread instead.

Posted on May 16, 2012 7:54:24 AM PDT
Malazan Book of the Fallen by Steven Erikson...by far, better than anything else out there; on par with Ice and Fire...and better yet....a completed series of 10 books of intense, will undoubtedly blow your wad on your kindle story. Also, has several offshoots with more to come.
The Gentlemen Bastards Sequence by Scott Lynch...solid entertaining series....kinda like Ocean's 11 set in a fantasy world. Only two books so far with at least 1 more pending...as soon as Lynch gets his crap together.
Sword of Shadows by JV Jones...pretty simplistic, but entertaining never the less. Four books so far with at least 1 more coming.
The Stormlight Archives series by Brandon Sanderson definitely looks very promising.

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2012 8:03:27 AM PDT
...nothing new here....

Posted on May 30, 2012 4:24:07 AM PDT
Angela Adams says:
Kushiels dart was dirty, good dirty but dirty nonetheless.

I liked Robert Jordans the Wheel of Time Series

The Eye of the World
The Great Hunt
The Dragon Reborn
The Shadow Rising
The Fires of Heaven
Lord of Chaos
A Crown of Swords
The Path of Daggers
Winter's Heart
Crossroads of Twilight
Knife of Dreams - Final novel completed by Robert Jordan. He died
The Gathering Storm
Towers of Midnight
A Memory of Light - To be completed by Brandon Sanderson.

and The Gentleman Bastards
The Lies of Locke Lamora (June 2006)
Red Seas Under Red Skies (July 2007)
The Republic of Thieves (Autumn 2012 [1])
The Thorn of Emberlain (forthcoming)
The Ministry of Necessity (forthcoming)
The Mage and the Master Spy (forthcoming)
Inherit the Night (forthcoming)

In reply to an earlier post on May 30, 2012 4:25:22 AM PDT
Angela Adams says:
Name of the Wind was a very good book.

Posted on May 30, 2012 6:55:18 AM PDT
CURLYMAN says:
J.R.R TOLKIEN!!!!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on May 30, 2012 7:13:29 AM PDT
Becca says:
I recently read The Guardian Chronicles by Lewis Keating which I really enjoyed! It's the first of a series although I think it's the only one out so far.

In reply to an earlier post on May 30, 2012 7:52:41 AM PDT
The Outland Series Rocks. thanks for reminding me I didn't read the latest one and I've had it a few years

Posted on May 30, 2012 8:01:37 AM PDT
Craig says:
Or for a good fantasy akin to Ice and Fire try:
Destiny (The Warrior's Journey)
Darkness (The Warrior's Journey)
Very good series with plenty of battles and good characters.

Posted on May 30, 2012 8:02:30 AM PDT
George R. R. Martin Series is EPIC . I just finished book 5 as well.Have you read any other of George Martins Books? I know you said series but he has written a few memorable single fantasy novels as well. I would also suggest Terry Brooks any series,Terry Goodkind is terrific.Have you tried Stephen King's Gunsligner Series, I loved those. Robert Jordans Wheel of Time Series is another that's addictive.Pierce Anthony is a different kind of fantasy writer I enjoyed his books also. This has been a pleasure. Thanks for asking the question I have alot of new authors to look forward to reading

In reply to an earlier post on May 30, 2012 8:06:15 AM PDT
Geez I almost forgot these were Terrific is he writing another soon?

In reply to an earlier post on May 30, 2012 8:50:09 AM PDT
I don't know about "soon", given the almost-as-bad-as-Martin stretch between the first two books. But yes, he is writing at least one more.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Fantasy forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Fantasy forum
Participants:  48
Total posts:  73
Initial post:  Apr 3, 2012
Latest post:  May 30, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions