Customer Discussions > Fantasy forum

im two chapters deep into a fantasy novel, id love to collab!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-16 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 22, 2012 4:44:16 PM PST
if you are interested in helping me write a fantasy novel, i'm looking for 2-3 established writers to help me turn this thing into a masterpiece

hope to hear back from you!

happy thanksgiving!!!

Posted on Nov 23, 2012 3:53:26 AM PST
Rather than collaborating, why not go to http://critiquecircle.com for free or http://www.allwriters.org/ if you wish to pay and get people to help you? Both places can help your writing.

Posted on Nov 23, 2012 4:51:00 AM PST
Additional comments:
Any writer experienced enough to be of genuine help to you will probably prefer to spend time on his own work. You are asking someone to give away his expertise to a stranger.

Your local community college probably has a writing course, which is a bargain but may not be what you want. The sources I gave you are flexible and can probably give you what you want, although when you pay you get more flexibility. The link to Allwriters offers both classes and one-on-one coaching. Needless to say, the one-on-one coaching is much more expensive.

Posted on Nov 23, 2012 10:04:03 AM PST
thunder road says:
For a ghost writer, you'll have to pay. So why not write it yourself? A local writer's group from meetup.com can really help, especially a small, weekly writer's group where you critique each other's work. This will make you much better writer -- least it did me.

I am currently about a month's away from have my first novel's galleys completed ready to publish. Without the weekly structure, where I was working to get new pages before the group, and them telling me what worked an what didn't, I think my novel would still be a good idea. With some nice sections complete. But not a polished, finished product ready for the press.

Posted on Nov 23, 2012 4:29:53 PM PST
no, i dont have to pay for help

i simply came up with a premise and am requesting backup on finishing a potential masterpiece

you can't make a baby by yourself

and not everybody has to pay to make one

im simply seeing if anybody wants to help me write a good book. maybe you've got writers block. maybe you like what i've started and think it would be a worthwhile and fun venture making this together

Posted on Nov 24, 2012 4:20:15 AM PST
Nicos says:
What is this book about?

Posted on Nov 24, 2012 10:27:51 AM PST
Lettuce Prey says:
Don't want to reveal too much because someone will steal this incredible idea, but basically it's about a lost magic piece of jewelry that belongs to an evil great lord who is imprisoned but has control over powerful evil minions including his twin sister/lover and the hero is a former thief who becomes a master assassin who is assisted by a faithful sidekick who is actually a great sorcerer who is believed to be have been eaten by a dragon hundreds of thousands of years ago.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012 11:42:46 AM PST
lol....what?!

i've got the first 2 chapters completed

i might have enough co-authors now

if you want details email me: jmberkland@carolina.rr.com i might be able to squeeze one or two more in

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 5:36:17 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 26, 2012 5:37:04 PM PST
thunder road says:
Think you misunderstood me. I said... "For a ghost writer, you'll have to pay. So why not write it yourself?"

Which it sounds like you are.

That said, that is why writer's groups, especially when they include a weekly critique, are golden. They will force you to write, since you've got to show up in person once a week with new material or revisions. And the other people are goldmines. They are writers, too. And have careers and kids and, thus, are facing the same struggles you are in getting their novels published. So their feedback is honest, constructive, but not brutal. I found my groups through meetup.com. And am blessed that I found them. Or else, I'd only have an idea instead of a nearly completed manuscript...

So, you don't work on your own. But you do end up doing your own work. For a partnership to really work, it seems to me that you need people with two wildly distinctive styles -- Gaiman and Pratchett's "Good Omens" comes to mind.

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 5:40:32 AM PST
I suggest you finish the book, and hire a deep editor. This is different from a copy or line editor. A deep editor will take your work and give it the literary polish you need. Another poster was right. Any author with work out there, will not really be interested. Our own work is plenty.

Posted on Dec 6, 2012 10:22:52 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 6, 2012 10:25:35 PM PST
JF says:
Dear Mr. Berkland,
You simply cannot delegate the process and effort of writing a novel to someone else and expect to not pay them. If someone is foolish enough to take you up on your offer, I'd submit that the gullible fool shouldn't be writing a book in the first place. Writing isn't an easy process. Editing is often harder. Creative work deserves payment. There is no free lunch.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2012 9:37:51 AM PST
Lalo says:
@JF, well said!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2012 11:18:30 AM PST
You're responding to someone who left the discussion weeks ago, and who has a demonstrable inability to use an apostrophe appropriately. Plus, his "incredible" idea sounds pretty much identical to 99% of the sword and sorcery genre: dragon (check), evil great lord (check), magical object conferring great powers (check), hero with a questionable past (check).

I love high fantasy, but the devil is in the details: the world building, the characterizations, the writing itself, etc. The germ of the idea isn't what is important - it's in the execution where fantasy succeeds or fails.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2012 5:34:05 PM PST
I agree. And there are things that go far beyond the writing. There is editing, proofing, beta reading, more proofing, etc.. If you fail to include any of these things in the process, you may very well doom your work. If you plan to self-publish it can get expensive, and even if you are submitting your work, you MUST send clean, edited and proofed manuscripts, or a publisher will ignore it.
And let's not forget how critical fantasy fans are. Most have been into the genre from a very young age, and really know what they're reading. They can read an author an tell who their influenced were, where they came up with their names...hell, they can pick apart a fantasy book better than a NY Times critic.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2012 9:12:35 PM PST
Captain says:
Sounds familiar somehow.

Posted on Dec 9, 2012 5:13:07 AM PST
If you've ever written a book, I don't doubt it. In fact, I explained the process to a young man the other day. By the time I was finished telling him everything involved, he wasn't sure he wanted to go through with it. I hadn't intended to scare the kid, so I went on to tell me how rewarding it can be, and the pride one feels when you first see your book listed. And there is nothing like the first time you get a review that says how much someone loved your work.
Most of the time I love what I do. But unless you've gone through it, there's no way to understandwhat is involved.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Fantasy forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Fantasy forum
Participants:  10
Total posts:  16
Initial post:  Nov 22, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 9, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions