Customer Discussions > Fantasy forum

Fantasy + Thievery Books

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-19 of 19 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 3, 2011 5:05:08 PM PST
i'm trying to find some good books in the fantasy genre about thieves with a helping of magic in it, some books i have read like this are A Dance of Cloaks by David Dalglish and The Way of Shadows by Brent Weeks.

Posted on Dec 3, 2011 5:07:40 PM PST
D. Politis says:
The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch. A group of thieves/con men rob the aristocracy in a fantasy world where magic exists (the Bondsmagi) There is a second book called Red Seas Under Red Skies but be warned, the third book in the series has been delayed repeatedly.

Posted on Dec 3, 2011 5:11:33 PM PST
Michelle says:
Megan Whalen Turner's The Thief is excellent. Takes place in an ancient Greek type setting. Very good world building and political machinations.

Posted on Dec 3, 2011 5:13:20 PM PST
Oh i believe i have come across this book on amazon, but the size of books are often intimidating to me, the largest book i have ever read is 785 pages long. But in the end i might try out that series. Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2011 5:21:26 PM PST
I've also came across this book too.

Posted on Dec 3, 2011 6:35:13 PM PST
Douglas Hulick's Among Thieves
Patricia Wrede's Mairelon the Magician (Kim is a young street thief - YA, such a great heroine)
Patricia Brigg's When Demons Walk (One of her early Sianim fantasy books)
Starcrossed by Elizabeth Bunce
The Spirit Thief (The Legend of Eli Monpress #1) by Rachel Aaron (this one I haven't read yet, but it is high on my list to read)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2011 6:41:58 PM PST
Heather Myst says:
I would recommend The Lies of Locke Lamora by Lynch, Among Thieves by Douglas Hulick, and the Riyria series by Michael J. Sullivan.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2011 8:41:18 PM PST
K. McNamara says:
I loved the Legend of Eli Monpress series. It reminded me of the classic Fritz Lieber's Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser series.

Posted on Dec 3, 2011 9:06:16 PM PST
K. McNamara says:
I forgot about the old Thieve's World series, with short stories (novellas?) written by various authors. I read these in my late teens, many many years ago, but apparently they were reissued in somewhat more recent history.
And Diana Wynn Jones' Darklord of Derkholm has a thief, although he's not one of the main characters.
Terry Pratchett's Going Postal and Making Money features a thief/conman turned postman/banker - when Vetinari asks you to do something, you can't say no...

Posted on Dec 3, 2011 10:26:50 PM PST
Hmm... can't think of any books like that but the Dungeons & Dragos movie is ripe with it.

Posted on Dec 3, 2011 11:07:08 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 3, 2011 11:08:25 PM PST
A. Tsurukame says:
I loved those Thieves' World books. That was the first thing I thought of when I saw this thread. It's all about thieves and there is magic, too. As a kid when these first came out, I loved looking at city map of Sanctuary and reading the stories by different authors (by some of the top Fantasy authors at the time) helped to make a Sanctuary an interesting city.

Also nice to see they are available on the Kindle now. First book even includes 3 of the original first volumes in the series.
Thieves' World: First Blood

Posted on Dec 3, 2011 11:34:25 PM PST
The Shadow trilogy by Anne Logston. (The first two are available as ebooks from Fictionwise.)

Half of the short stories in Stealing Magic by Tanya Huff are about the thief Terazin. (The other half are about the world's laziest wizard.)

Posted on Dec 4, 2011 1:08:17 AM PST
D. Politis says:
I second the Shadow trilogy by Anne Logston. I love it and am very surprised anyone else has even heard of it. The books have been out of print for a few years. An elven thief? A conspiracy? Lots of laughs? Perfect recipe for a great book.

Posted on Dec 4, 2011 1:20:59 AM PST
D. Politis says:
Take a Thief by Mercedes Lackey is about a child thief who gets picked by a magic horse (Companion) to be a Herald of Valdemar. It is part of the Valdemar series but can be read as a stand alone since she explains everything.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2011 12:27:22 AM PST
Boric says:
Raymond E Feist's 'Silverthorn' has an important thief character in it and the main character of PC Hodgell's

Posted on Dec 5, 2011 12:29:16 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 5, 2011 12:30:11 AM PST
Boric says:
I don't know what happened there: that should have read:

Raymond E Feist's 'Silverthorn' has an important thief character in it and the main character of PC Hodgell's "Godstalk" is also part of a thieves' guild

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2011 6:33:32 AM PST
You've nailed it. These are two of my favorites!

Posted on Dec 5, 2011 7:04:51 AM PST
jaimilyn says:
Great series with a thief as the main character: The Thief's Gamble (Tales of Einarinn, Book 1)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2011 6:55:13 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 5, 2011 6:58:43 PM PST
"I second the Shadow trilogy by Anne Logston. I love it and am very surprised anyone else has even heard of it. The books have been out of print for a few years."

I stumbled across the first one when I was hitting up a half-off sale on Fictionwise two years ago. I didn't get around to reading it until early this year and really enjoyed it, so went and bought the second one as an ebook from Fictionwise also.

Unfortunately, the third one was never made into an ebook from what I can find. I emailed the author asking about that, but never got a reply. (It was from a pretty outdated site, so who knows if she's even checking that email address anymore.)

I loved the humor. It helped that the main character in the books reminded me a lot of a thief my thief character hung out with in an online roleplaying game. :)

Edit to add:

Kindle-aholic mentioned earlier in the thread StarCrossed by Elizabeth Bunce. It's a book that I had looked at before when someone mentioned it and the ebook is only $2.99 right now, so I bought a copy. Figured I'd mention it for anyone else interested. It's YA, which is not my usual cup of tea, but the book looks like fun and it's cheap, so why not?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Fantasy forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Fantasy forum
Participants:  12
Total posts:  19
Initial post:  Dec 3, 2011
Latest post:  Dec 5, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions