Customer Discussions > Fantasy forum

Melanie Rawn will not be finishing Captal's Tower or Spellbinder

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 223 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 27, 2010 11:56:10 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 2, 2010 9:03:57 AM PDT
Here is the full announcement from her website as cached on Google, she removed the actual announcement when things got a little unpleasant.

""DIVINER
Due to scheduling difficulties, Diviner is now set for August 2011.

SPELLBINDER 3
There will not be a third volume of Spellbinder.
This is not my choice. The novel is plotted and planned, I have about 1/4 of it written, I would like very much to finish it. I have a lot of fun with Holly and Evan, and I think you'd find the continuation of their story a nice afternoon's entertainment.
But the first two books did not sell as expected, and so a third book in the series is no longer a possibility.
I'm sorry if anyone is disappointed. I want to thank all of you for your interest and support--you people are the best.

And that's why I'm glad to tell you that there is a new project coming up.

GLASS THORNS
This new trilogy has been purchased by Tor, and the first book is finished and scheduled for February 2012.

"Glass Thorns" is set in a world in which the intimacy of live theater and the thrill of brilliant performances are enhanced by skilled practitioners of magic into a complete sensory and emotional immersion. Think of it as everything CGI can do, add in Technicolor and Surroundsound and THX and 3-D and Smellovision (an oddity from the '50s--and no, I don't remember it personally, I'm not that old!), then toss in the feel of a sword in your hand and the taste of dust in your mouth and the terror of looking up at a 90-foot dragon--all the senses, sight, hearing, taste, touch, smell, plus emotions--and you get an idea of what this theater experience is.
Cade is the playwright, the creative visionary Wizard. Jeska is the actor who plays all the parts. Mieka, an Elf, uses Cade's magic to cast the onstage spells. Rafe is the powerful Wizard who ensures that the magic doesn't escape control. If it does, emotional chaos and mayhem of the senses ensues--hazardous to performers and audience alike.
Among the many groups of players on the theater circuit, there are friendships, rivalries, enmities, and outright sabotage. These young men are the superstars of their world. But they are also Artists--and Cade will tell you so at the top of his lungs.

I'm tremendously excited about these books and I love writing these guys. I know it's a long time to wait, but I'm hoping you'll think it was worth it."

The reaction is here:

http://bb.melanierawn.com/showthread.php?t=7144&page=32

I will NEVER invest my time or money in her books again.

Posted on Sep 27, 2010 1:17:58 PM PDT
L. Hathaway says:
Sigh. I actually like her writing, but would like her to finish a series before starting another. I stopped purchasing her books awhile ago as I was waiting for one series to be finished before I started her next one. IF, she finishes her older series, I will start purchasing her new ones. As it is, I've just moved on to other authors.

Posted on Sep 27, 2010 2:09:22 PM PDT
My guess is her career is at a crisis point. If this new trilogy bombs, she will not be published again. That includes the now unlikely Captal's Tower.

How many people are going to take the chance on another trilogy that may or probably not get finished. Her track record is atrocious. I know I will not read anything of hers again unless it is finished. If more people feel the same, the sales of the next book will be bad and it will be a repeat scenario.

Posted on Sep 28, 2010 3:04:07 AM PDT
Captal's Tower was announced to be "on infinite hiatus" a decade ago.
Ms. Rawn suffered from severe depression and other mental health issues for years, decided to abandon her past work and start from scratch. I can respect that, even if I'd have liked to see the completion of the series.

If you read it correctly, the cancellation of Spellbinder 3 was NOT because it's not been written but because the publisher refused to release the book due to poor sales of the first 2 volumes (hardly surprising as many people are wary of Melanie Rawn's continuity now and won't buy a book out of a series until the entire series has been released).

I've purchased all of her work except Spellbinder as I was waiting for volume 3 before buying the others :)
I'll likely purchase new standalone works if released, but use the same policy when deciding on new multi-volume series.

Posted on Sep 28, 2010 10:18:31 AM PDT
I imagine not many readers will take the chance on yet another trilogy. This is probably the end of any hope of Captal's Tower and she should just come out and say it will never be done. She might even consider giving an outline of what it might have been and answer the questions about Collan. The cliffhanger ending in Mageborn was cruel and if she thinks more readers will give her a chance now . . . No way.

Posted on Sep 28, 2010 1:29:52 PM PDT
Mrs. Garside says:
If her publisher pulls the rug out from under her, she should self-publish. She must have enough fans to make this worthwhile. It would be a shame to leave readers hanging. (I've never read her work, but she's sort of on my list).

Posted on Sep 28, 2010 2:11:32 PM PDT
L. Hathaway says:
I think it is leaving her readers hanging that got her in this mess in the first place. I refuse to pick up other series from an author when the one I am reading has no progress for more than 2 years. If she cannot write two at once, then she should focus on the one already published.

Posted on Sep 28, 2010 2:20:23 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 2, 2010 9:04:05 AM PDT]

Posted on Sep 28, 2010 3:58:05 PM PDT
Damn. I, too, have been waiting to complete the "Exiles" trilogy.

Oh well...

Posted on Sep 28, 2010 3:59:24 PM PDT
If the problem is that her publisher won't release the third title, why are you angry at the author and not the publisher?

Posted on Sep 28, 2010 4:10:41 PM PDT
She is writing a new trilogy about magicians who operate movie theaters. The publisher didn't put a gun to her head and make her come up with that lame idea. And the 2 unfinished trilogies make her and her publisher a little hard to trust.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 29, 2010 5:06:51 AM PDT
"If her publisher pulls the rug out from under her, she should self-publish."

Haven't seen her contract with the publisher, but it wouldn't surprise me if the publisher owns the publishing rights to any future novel in the series, and refusal to execute those rights doesn't return those rights to the author.
Many publishers have strangulation contracts like that and force them on authors, in order to prevent an author jumping ship to another publisher willing to pay more for future volumes if the first few sold well.

Contract may in fact stipulate that authors can't publish at any other company for a goodly number of years after they terminate a running contract.

Posted on Sep 29, 2010 6:40:17 AM PDT
She has the same problem if she finishes the Exiles trilogy. After all this time, will the publisher even waste the money? How much time is on the contract (and why don't they enforce it?) Or wil Daw just do like Tor did with Spellbinder 3 and cancel? Even if she writes it, I'm not sure with copyrights and all if the readers will ever see it.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 29, 2010 8:50:11 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 29, 2010 8:50:30 AM PDT
L. Hathaway says:
Because it is, at least partially, her fault. She took so long to work on anything, left readers hanging for far too long, and so of course people stop buying her books. Who wants to read a series they strongly suspect will never be finished? And when her sales dropped due to her not finishing series, of course the publisher is going to look at her as a risk. She shares blame with the publisher. However, I can sympathize with the publisher: they are only out to make money. What is her excuse?

Posted on Sep 29, 2010 8:58:31 AM PDT
I'll be willing to bet you she will come out on like the 20th anniversary of the wait for Captal's Tower and will say she had planned to write it, but all the fans bugging her made her change her mind. You watch. It will happen. She just needs any excuse.

Posted on Sep 29, 2010 10:22:14 AM PDT
L. Hathaway says:
That's a rather sad excuse. Since you all have told me how much you want me to write this, I'm not going to. Blah. At this point, I'm not sure she can come up with a valid excuse.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 29, 2010 1:54:09 PM PDT
Mrs. Garside says:
Good points, but if the publisher in effect, cancels the contract (and not the author), the author is usually free to go elsewhere. I'd like to see what the SFWA has to say about it.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 29, 2010 2:04:02 PM PDT
L. Hathaway says:
Excellent point. The publisher might also be open to her Self Publishing completions to her series if they have no plans to. It would not cost them a dime and they could keep the rights to the other books in the series. However, I am sorry to say that I highly doubt her intention to finish.

Posted on Sep 30, 2010 7:39:01 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 30, 2010 7:39:13 AM PDT
Who else thinks the story idea of magicians operating virtual reality theaters is a cheesy concept?

Posted on Sep 30, 2010 8:26:13 AM PDT
cheesy but an original on a current trend in fantasy :)

Posted on Sep 30, 2010 8:32:37 AM PDT
L. Hathaway says:
She's a good writer, so she might be able to pull it off. But why bother? She won't finish it if it's a series.

Posted on Sep 30, 2010 8:59:33 AM PDT
D. Isakov says:
Perhaps the best way for her to relaunch her career would be to write Captal's Tower. I can personally guarantee I would buy it when it comes out in kindle/audible version. I won't buy any other book written by her until then.

Posted on Sep 30, 2010 11:25:31 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 30, 2010 11:32:52 AM PDT
What the publisher is thinking is beyond me. They have to know even her fans will not buy her books with trust now. And very few new readers will jump in with her her track record. Why are they essentially destroying her career? This is just a bad move, period.

Posted on Sep 30, 2010 12:53:39 PM PDT
L. Hathaway says:
I'm not convinced it's the Publisher that is destroying her career. Her refusal to complete series is what is wrecking her career. I don't think they've been forcing her to abandon her old works and come up with new series.

Posted on Sep 30, 2010 1:02:28 PM PDT
Yes, I see what you mean. Ultimately it's she who made this decision. Maybe a smarter publisher would have said 'take time off and complete your business contract with DAW, then we will publish you again.'
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Fantasy forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Fantasy forum
Participants:  71
Total posts:  223
Initial post:  Sep 27, 2010
Latest post:  Aug 9, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 16 customers

Search Customer Discussions