Customer Discussions > Fashion forum

Why don't women wear pantyhose and stockings anymore?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 16, 2009 10:47:24 AM PST
Elizabeth K says:
My boyfriend asked me this and I said they're not very comfortable but he said men find them very sexy, even pantyhose, which I think look so unsexy once the dress/skirt is off, but he said he and his friends think pantyhose look so much better than bare legs unless the dress is very casual. Makes me wonder - what do the rest of you men think? And women - do you think pantyhose will ever make a comeback? I wear stockings with garters for special occasions and I wear tights but I think I'd feel unfashionable in pantyhose.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2009 5:05:58 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Sep 30, 2009 5:08:50 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2009 6:02:53 PM PST
Greenfish says:
Maybe your boyfriend should wear them then. Who cares what "other men" think of panty hose. If you don't like them, that's the end of discussion. Frankly, I'm thrilled that they are no longer fashionable. Let's get rid of spike heels and pointed toe shoes/boots also. Why should women become virtually crippled by trying to please some juvenile obsessions of men who are stuck in the 19th century. Grow up and wear clothes that YOU like and that make YOU feel good about yourself. Save the pantyhose for role playing in the bedroom if that's fun for you and your boyfriend. Go for it.

Posted on Feb 16, 2009 6:53:54 PM PST
MsKaren says:
It's obvious your man has a pantyhose fetish. Its extremely common in men - dosen't mean they are submissive, just means they like pantyhose - a lot. Many men like feet too - that's why those men always comment on your shoes !!!!

Posted on Feb 16, 2009 9:04:19 PM PST
alexcurtis says:
I think pantyhose are kind of dated. Why would anyone prefer to look at some woven plastic vs. some beautiful legs? Probably the same guys who like brightly colored makeup as thick as pancake batter. Sorry, I prefer to look at bare legs and a natural looking face.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2009 8:05:43 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Dec 7, 2011 10:59:41 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2009 1:02:11 PM PST
D. Portillo says:
Hello,

I feel the same as you. I would not leave the house without them. Pantyhose or stockings make the legs look better.....no doubt about it. Plus it is the extra layer between you and the outer garment that makes a diff. Women who don't wear anything besides their panties are really selling themself short. I wear slips, camisoles....etc. It is more feminine. The nothing underneath is just sloppy like you say

As far as the "girls" at work.........that is just what they are "girls". No woman woul comment on something that is really not any of her business.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2009 1:36:57 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Feb 17, 2009 1:37:21 PM PST]

Posted on Feb 17, 2009 3:50:40 PM PST
Well, I personally do not care for pantyhose, makes me feel too enclosed! However, I adore wearing stockings, which makes me feel sexier than I already am. I wear what I want because it's what I want to wear, I could careless what others think!

Posted on Feb 17, 2009 3:57:35 PM PST
anna says:
I wear thigh highs in any professional type situation instead of pantyhose. I hate the weird seamed midsection every brand of panty hose causes. Also to clarify, size is not as relevant as body type to determine whether you'd like or dislike full hose. Basically if you have a large rear and slimmer tummy go for the hose. But those of us with tummy issues above all others, should stick with thigh highs.

As far as men go, every man I have ever known the opinion of, LOVES thighhighs! Or garter and stockings too. I also like that though I am only 24 and can look about 17 when casually dressed, stockings make me look like the professional realtor I am. My boyfriend goes crazy when I am getting dressed or wearing the naughty stockings under a tailored black suit.

Nothing outdated about thigh-highs, unless maintaining classiness and self respect are outdated. You should check out a local Victoria Secret catalog if you have doubts!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 18, 2009 4:54:34 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Oct 3, 2009 6:19:24 AM PDT]

Posted on Feb 18, 2009 6:44:07 AM PST
Y. Nestorov says:
(sorry if my English is bad)
I just love women in stockings or pantyhose.
Makes them so sexy and feminine. Especially the slender girls.
Even more when they're with high heels.

Every piece of clothing that is characteristic ONLY for women is extra sexy in men's eyes.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 18, 2009 12:45:19 PM PST
Elaine says:
I have to preface by stating I don't think pantyhose belong under everything.

For example - you're wearing a broomstick skirt with open toed sandals? Hose are going to make you look very much like someone from the geriatric set. Hose under summer shorts or swimsuits...ick. I kid you not, once I saw a woman with hose underneath her freakin' bathing suit at the beach. They were the dark suntan color, and the rest of the woman's skin was snow white. It was scary.

I wear hose under dresses (and sometimes, pants) to work if I'm wearing closed toed shoes. I can't see how any lady can cram her feet into pumps or heels without the benefit of nylons. I go to the gym, and can tell which shoes lined up along the bench belong to the NylonLess Wonders. How? I can smell the stench of the shoe from several feet away. Even if a woman escapes foot odor, how does she escape blisters from the shoe rubbing her bare skin?

I wear nylons for several reasons other than they are necessary under most of my shoes. The reasons include -

1. I don't like pantylines. I have a Sir Mix A Lot bubble butt, and I don't care what kind of "seamless" undies I buy, there's going to be a line showing. Nylons eliminate that problem. I'm sorry, but I cannot stand the look of visible panty lines. (I see so many women who look fine from the front, but horrible from behind. I wish there was some way of letting them know so they could address the problem.)

2. I don't like the look of my bare legs. They are snow white, because I choose not to tan. I don't want to bother with a fake tan. My legs are not my best feature. Hose make them look better.

3. They keep me warmer in the winter, and they keep my legs from gluing together when it's roasting hot and I'm sweating.

4. I work for a court, and they give me a more professional appearance.

I guess the reason many women don't wear them is because they are out of vogue. But IMHO, a lot of women not wearing them really need to be doing so.

Posted on Feb 18, 2009 12:49:06 PM PST
Monzie says:
I dunno.... Why don't men wear ties anymore? Perhaps because they're uncomfortable?

I used to work at a bank, one of the last bastions of the "pantyhose rule." Company policy dictated that we had to wear them. It was horrible. They're itchy and they creep up (or down). In the summer, they're too hot. In the winter, they're too cold. And, lest we forget, they catch on everything and get snags and runs. I had to keep spare pantyhose in my desk drawer because the ones I was wearing would inevitably get caught on the edge of a file cabinet and develop a huge run right before an important meeting. What other piece of apparel can you take out of the package and totally ruin with a stray hangnail before you've even worn it? Only pantyhose!

I, for one, rejoice that pantyhose have fallen out of fashion. I keep a couple of pairs around for formal occasions, funerals, and job interviews. But otherwise, its socks, tights, or bare legs for me.

Posted on Feb 18, 2009 1:13:11 PM PST
Max Harris says:
1- I wear a tie most days to work. Less in the winter, but collared shirt 90% of winter days and tie 80-85% in the winter, 90% in the summer. I can relate a little. My wife likes me in a tie. That's how she rolls. The boss's boss likes ties too, but that's a different deal.

2- My wife is sexy, 24/7. But, when she goes with the hose, either thigh high or the fully panty, she is extra sexy. I'm getting bothered thinking about wife in hose.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 18, 2009 3:01:55 PM PST
funny story...i wore thigh highs on a date and by the time i got to the very nice restaurant. they had slipped down and i was unable to get up from the table. i had to put on my coat (luckily i had worn a long one) and sent my date to buy me some pantyhose in a nearby store. he got lots of funny looks when he asked what sizes a, b, c, etc meant. that was the last time i will wear thigh highs in public!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 18, 2009 5:58:21 PM PST
R. Robinson says:
Some women REALLY do need to wear them. Just as some men should have facial hair to cover up or take attention away from a facial feature. Not all women have legs like tina turner...ya know??

Posted on Feb 18, 2009 6:39:16 PM PST
R. Allen says:
I happily wear pantyhose nearly every day. I am on my feet most of the time, so I get the good ones that provide support. My legs can definitely tell the difference between the days I wear hose and those I go "bare." I am sure I will have fewer varicose veins as I age as well!
Also, if you want to be treated like a competent professional, you should dress like one. That includes proper undergarments, clothes that fit and are clean and pressed, and when weather or outfit dictate, pantyhose. Whether you wear them outside of work is your choice. Yes, I also think men who work in a professional capacity should wear ties!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 18, 2009 6:44:52 PM PST
I hate pantyhose! I think they are for older women who have unattractive legs or for women who are hiding scars of some sort. Also, for certain situations I think they are more appropriate than going bare-legged (i.e. churches, funerals, elegant evenings out...), but for the most part, they are for women of a certain age.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 18, 2009 7:00:39 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Oct 3, 2009 6:20:17 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 18, 2009 7:02:38 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Oct 3, 2009 6:20:40 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 18, 2009 7:04:42 PM PST
P. Alvarado says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 18, 2009 9:02:47 PM PST
C. Skinner says:
You have to be kidding!!!! Are you my mother in law? Not only do I not wear slips, camisoles, or hose of any kind, I also dont wear UNDERWEAR! Bare underneath makes my butt look better, more natural, no lumps, bumps lines etc! I only wear a bra because Im large busted (42dd) or I wouldnt even wear that. If I ever go through with plastic surgery, I'll never wear even THAT again. SOOOO nice to be free and comfortable, everyone should do it. And yes, even when I wear a dress I dont wear underwear. Who's going to know???

Posted on Feb 18, 2009 11:59:06 PM PST
Elizabeth K says:
This reminds me of women I know who say they wear g-strings so they don't have panty lines, but their jiggling butt cheeks are much less attractive than panty lines. I think a lot of women have NO idea how they look from behind.

Posted on Feb 19, 2009 12:40:48 AM PST
Becareful what you wish for C. Skinner. As a health professional, your bra is supporting the tendons that hold your breast up and keep them from sagging to your waist. Without bras, many women's breast would look like the women's breast you see in those National Geographic expose's of our sisters on the continent of Africa. Sure, while we're young they are small and perky, but after childbirth or weight-gain or heaven forbid we find ourselves with the genes of our mothers and have to support those DDD size melons into our 40's and 50's, the bra is a god-send. Just becareful what you wish for.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 211 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Fashion forum (238 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Fashion forum
Participants:  1410
Total posts:  5264
Initial post:  Feb 16, 2009
Latest post:  4 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 55 customers

Search Customer Discussions