Customer Discussions > Fashion forum

Nail Polish on men

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 223 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 23, 2011 9:46:34 PM PDT
R. Laue says:
I'm a man and have been wearing clear nail polish for a while. It started when I decided to seriously try to stop biting my nails. I did try several of the things on the marked - none worked for more than a sew days. The change in the nail texture with polish did the trick.
No no one has said anything and only a few have noticed. Some times I do add some color, close to Skin and have done translucent blue or green translucent. It is fun, and does it do any harm or is the average guy insecure in his manhood.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 24, 2011 6:12:55 AM PDT
A. Webb says:
What matters is if YOU feel comfortable with it. It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. Personally, I find nail color on men very attractive.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 24, 2011 7:25:06 PM PDT
gregory says:
Laue: First, no I do not think there is anything odd about nail polish for men. I have a huge collection of colors and types that I purchased for art projects [my wife loves the selection], but have never used the colors on my nails. I use a product called, 'Hard As Nails' to combat my nails from splitting and tearing. It does not come in matt, so I buff it with 00 steel wool to take the shine off. This has gone off-course. MEN SHOULD HAVE EVERY RIGHT TO COLOR ANY AND EVERYTHING THEY WANT: dye your hair orange, your nails rainbow, your eyelids purple. Why not? Who writes the rules. I am 55 and an old hippie so you may need to salt these words. Why not make-up? It all boils do to appropiratness. I wouldn't go to a job interview with day-glow fingernails, but to a party or as everyday? Why not? As a matter of fact, WHY NOT to alot of the stuff we think are rules? gregory

Posted on Mar 27, 2011 10:06:38 AM PDT
I don't think anything's wrong with it, but I personally find it to be a turnoff. Whatever a guy wants to do is cool by me, but that makes me less attracted.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2011 6:39:31 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Mar 29, 2011 4:35:07 PM PDT]

Posted on Mar 28, 2011 11:16:00 AM PDT
J. Robb says:
Personally, I think you can do whatever you want, wearing nail polish and such. I just think, as a girl, it is a super turnoff, as The Panthor said. If you are looking to date somebody, don't wear it.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 29, 2011 4:17:27 PM PDT
Hi Craig! And that's cool! Whatever makes you happy!!! :)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 29, 2011 4:18:06 PM PDT
I have liked black nail polish on guys though.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2011 11:24:39 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 31, 2011 11:26:48 PM PDT
None says:
Yes and NO. If you're coloring your hair wild, largely unnatural colors, or multiple colors, by all means do the nails, have a blast. If your clothes, hair, and appearance are otherwise "normal", by which I mean conventional, typical, standard and unremarkable on the whole, but your nails are some unnatural color, it's going to make people think you're weirder than if you have the different hair, etc. If you REALLY want to look non-conformist, have everything else completely normal, and have ONE fingernail some really strange, unnatural color, like forest green or electric blue. Otherwise, be all business-casual. When people notice the one fingernail, they'll come completely unglued. It looks much stranger than a guy with neon-orange spiked hair and a BDU jacket with the sleeves cut off, and general stars stuck all over it. It's like a car driving down the street, obeying traffic rules and conventions, etc., and then you notice no one seems to be driving it. It's a real shocker. If ALL your fingernails are painted, then people just say, "oh, a guy with painted nails." And they go on their way. If just ONE nail is painted... :)

Posted on Apr 5, 2011 11:40:13 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 8, 2011 2:26:47 PM PDT
I think that having the nails buffed to a low shine would be better accepted by society, would be easier to maintain ,buffing the nails naturally saves time as you do not have the problem of touch ups when the polish chips or to fill in the nails grow out area eliminating the need for sometimes toxic polish removers.
By the way.......If you want a durable nail polish use OPI, it is very resistant to chipping and holds up to abuse. I use to use on my nails and it widely used in Salons. I now use it to cement or color the heads of the fishing flies that I tie because it holds up to hard use.

Posted on Apr 9, 2011 11:33:41 AM PDT
S. Kase says:
I am glad my husband only wears it when our daughters paint them. I think that is just getting a bit prissy, too much for my taste anyway, I like a man with some dirt in his nails from hard work and callouses too!

Posted on Apr 11, 2011 7:00:52 PM PDT
Different strokes for different folks... What ever floats your boat... Dirt under the nails is unhealthy & gross... Go for it & ignore the nay sayers they never were your friends anyway... You go guy! ! !

Posted on Apr 12, 2011 5:55:24 PM PDT
EdensCurse says:
Hey, if you like doing it, then who cares!

I personally find black nails on men to be a bit sexy. Along with eyeliner. So hot. Lol.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2011 5:56:43 PM PDT
EdensCurse says:
I find OPI kind've sucks. I bought a black Opi polish for seven bucks, and I washed the dishes (I just rinsed them in water) and when I finished, the polish was all chipped.

I've heard some really cool things about Seche Vite.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2011 7:50:26 PM PDT
Courtney250 says:
If you have a job where your nail polish isn't damaged by your activities, clear seems fine to me. I don't like colored nail polish, but I don't like it on ladies or men...so it's nothing to do with your manhood. If you are fine with it and whoever you are dating\married to is fine with it, then who cares what other people think? And if you like colors, go for the colors.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 16, 2011 5:02:56 AM PDT
My sister painted her boyfriends finger and toe nails bright red when he was sleeping as a joke once. He ended up going to jail for warrants the next day, he spent 30 days with

Posted on Apr 16, 2011 9:33:04 PM PDT
Ned says:
I think nits cool

Posted on Apr 19, 2011 4:16:39 PM PDT
Rex says:
who cares. Better to have nail polish on a guy then a guy in dress clothes on the 11 o clock news for rape and murder. In other words relax and let out your emotions instead of hiding them. Then maybe your emotions come out wrong one day and you wind up in jail.

Posted on Apr 24, 2011 11:53:50 PM PDT
Black nail polish on men is acceptable, it actually looks very nice on them in my opinion.

Posted on May 5, 2011 8:31:48 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Dec 30, 2011 5:44:49 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 22, 2011 6:48:57 AM PDT
Robert Lott says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jul 23, 2011 7:24:55 AM PDT
D. AVERY says:
Wearing pantyhose with shorts is like wearing socks with sandals. Why not be comfortable as well as less weird looking?

Posted on Jul 28, 2011 8:15:17 AM PDT
Debbie says:
Some of the wealthiest AND SEXIEST men I've ever known had a manicure with clear nail polish every week! /but if you're talking bright red with rhinestones, only if you're gay or a cross dresser. A guy I worked with was going through gender reassignment and did his nails in bright colors. But he was also living as a woman in preparation for the change. But for me, I'm an old lady and still lke a well "defined" male for personal reasons. If you're a heterosexual male and it is a "thing" for you, it could lead to trouble if you go colors at work. But you might consider doing your toes!! That way, it is your secret and you still know it is there.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2011 2:58:34 PM PDT
J. Browne says:
LOL oh no

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2011 4:54:26 PM PDT
you can injure your cuticles or nails with steel wool

OPI makes a matte nail stregthener -

OPI Treatment, Matte Nail Envy, Natural Nail Strengthener
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Fashion forum (238 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Fashion forum
Participants:  84
Total posts:  223
Initial post:  Mar 23, 2011
Latest post:  Dec 13, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 19 customers

Search Customer Discussions