Customer Discussions > Fashion forum

What do you think of guys wearing ugg boots or flats?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 47 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 25, 2011 7:46:21 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 25, 2011 7:47:30 PM PST
Sam Fisher says:
Sorry 'bout that triple post. I need to learn to let typos be typos.

What says you majority types? Just another couple of things to add to the list that are against the rules for guys to wear?

I recently noticed that Vans makes a line of shoes that are basically flats for guys, and I've actually seen other guys wearing uggs, seems to be hot in hip-hop fashion. Of course, neither would likely come without the harassment and being told that they're for girls only or that "it looks gay" to wear them.

Posted on Nov 25, 2011 8:02:37 PM PST
Sam Fisher says:
Bump for the sake of separating the double post.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2011 9:56:54 PM PST
Kalii2 says:
*SHRUG* What's the big deal? They're just shoes. Wear em if you want to. I think it's totally ridiculous to say guys can't wear ____ or girls can't wear ______ .

Posted on Nov 25, 2011 11:51:08 PM PST
Zach says:
Uggs look very comfy, although I've never worn a pair myself. And I, being a guy, have wondered about see how a pair would look on me. Unfortunately, my friends have said that it might look "gay" but really, who cares. Where what you want :D Fashion is supposed to fun, not limited and covered with rules

Posted on Dec 3, 2011 10:18:00 PM PST
parrothead says:
One item of note is that UGG's were actually created for men in Australia. When they came to the U.S., they became a woman's fashion statement.

Posted on Dec 4, 2011 6:16:39 AM PST
A. Roy says:
I went to the Van's website and didn't see anything that looked like flat. Could you post a link to them or tell us what line they are.

Posted on Dec 4, 2011 1:22:06 PM PST
lucylu says:
I like the idea... although uggs aren't animal friendly & flats tend to break down your foot arches !!!

Posted on Dec 4, 2011 8:01:43 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 4, 2011 8:02:27 PM PST
There are actually some very masculine Ugg boots for men. My fiance has a pair, and they really look sharp. They aren't the typical pair of boots when one thinks "Ugg." I personally love them on him and wish they made some like that in a woman's style.

Posted on Dec 4, 2011 11:05:06 PM PST
UGGS ROCK greg

Posted on Dec 5, 2011 5:55:04 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 5, 2011 5:56:33 AM PST
Shaydie says:
I don't like Uggs, they have to kill eight sheep for one pair. I'd feel way too selfish just for a fashion statement like that. There's other ways to keep my feet warm! :o

Posted on Dec 5, 2011 9:21:20 PM PST
Crystal says:
I am not sure on this one but prefer Ugg's over flats ever for me.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2011 5:43:00 AM PST
Firefly says:
Where did you hear that they kill eight sheep for one pair? It's more likely the other way around--eight pairs from one sheep. (We're talking sheep, not mice!) Besides, they're killed for meat, and that will continue; the pelt is a byproduct. Would you rather they throw it away?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2011 5:44:08 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 6, 2011 5:46:02 AM PST
Firefly says:
If you're so worried that someone somewhere maybe might be thinking you might possibly be gay, better stick with steel-toed boots. (But stay out of gay bars.)

Posted on Dec 6, 2011 12:58:40 PM PST
RJ says:
There are just certain things that I personally don't think a man should wear. That includes skinny jeans, flat shoes, ugh boots, super low v-cut shirts (especially when they're pink), sagging pants, spandex shorts, or jorts (jeans cut into shorts). It's not attractive to see a man in any of the items listed above, especially if they're not homosexual. Don't get me wrong, I have absolutely no problems with homosexuals, but I just believe that the items listed above are more popular amongst the male homosexual community.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2011 4:03:04 PM PST
Crystal says:
Actually they shave sheep, sheep are not killed in wool by-products. I know I grew up on a farm. And there is a lot of wool on one sheep lol

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2011 4:52:14 PM PST
Firefly says:
Yes, but Uggs are made from the skins, except for the Cardies.

Posted on Dec 6, 2011 10:15:35 PM PST
I think the only reason Ugg style boots seam to be targeted at women is because lower class department stores (W*lmart) only sells them in women's sizes and real shearling boots are pricey. The shearling look has been back for almost a decade. My husband has been wearing Ugg boots for the last 20 years. They were an Australian surfing fad in New Jersey and Southern California in the 90's. They were expensive then and they still are now. My husband requested a pair of knee high Uggs for Christmas last year and LOVES them. He wears them under jeans from the fall to the spring. We live in rain/ice/snow rural mountains and he never has to wear thermal underwear because of these boots. I envied his Uggs so much that I bought a pair of Bearpaw knee high shearling boots for myself at 1/3 the price of Uggs. Yes, Uggs have fur on the inside bottom of the boot and no arch support. You can wear socks in them for added heat or to prevent sweating in them. BTW, the outer layers of both those boot brands are suede/leather, not sheep. Yes, wool costs more so the manufacturers are saving you money with some cow hide instead. There are plenty of sheep in Australia and New Zealand. I make our boots last with water-proofing spray from Champs/athletic shoe store, otherwise the color will stain or fade at the first sign of rain.

Now, Vans flats for men? That reminds me of the sockless Spicoli surfer guys in Southern California. It looks casual. If you're going to wear them, go all the way and get the black and white checkered ones but please wear them in the summer. Yes, men up to 60 yrs old could still get away with that look--as long as they act young too.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2011 4:20:42 AM PST
Firefly says:
Shark, how do you like your Bearpaws? If you've also owned Uggs for yourself, how do they compare?

Are you saying that Uggs are cowhide with shearling attached? Where did you get that info? I find it hard to believe; I think the lining would wear off pretty fast, a problem with some brands but not Uggs, unless they've changed since I bought my last pair several years ago.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2011 7:57:20 AM PST
Richard says:
Aspenite: ask any Aussie (I am one) and they'll tell you that Uggs are worn INDOORS ONLY in Australia. They're comfortable but pretty much the tackiest thing ever.

Posted on Dec 25, 2011 8:02:03 AM PST
Richard, I'm with you! I'm an Aussie and still can't believe that I see trendy, beautiful women walking around in these things in NYC. If only they knew what kind of people back home wear Uggs... look up "bogan" on urban dictionary and you'll find out for yourself...

Posted on Dec 26, 2011 1:20:50 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 26, 2011 1:26:18 PM PST
Hot hands says:
Ok, showing my age here...but I remember way back when, when UGGS were hard to find, a rare mail order item found in obscure outdoors types of catalogs (pre internet, pre online shopping...PRE Amazon.com if you can imagine that long ago)...very expensive...and a couple I used to give massages to, very outdoorsey people, who both swore by UGGs for cold Chicago winters....watching UGGS become the Cali surfer fasion statement makes me giggle a little...BUT for practicle purposes, take it from a Northern girl...they rock...and we all want to be warm...male or female.

ALSO they do NOT harm your arches, as a previous poster stated...your arches are held in place by tendons...which if you work on your feet, can relax with age and time, thus creating lower arches...or spreading the feet out. Pregnancy, and the hormones that loosen ligaments can also contribute...I've worked barefoot for the last 15 years (massage therapist, sometimes on my feet for 8+ hours a day)...and on my feet my entire adult life...shoes have NOTHING to do with it...in fact if you go through Rolfing, they advise you to wear shoes without arch support at all, so your body can sit naturally on it's foundation.

Posted on Dec 26, 2011 3:27:01 PM PST
I love Uggs. I say Uggs for everybody

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2011 8:25:56 AM PST
that is not true, you have the ratio backward. you get 8-10 pairs of uggs from one sheep, and remember.... someone is eating that fella afterward. smh, please know facts and stops listening to peta and the anti meat people who need to consume fish or something for brain balance....im a healthy vegetarian/pescatarian who studied the fur industry/

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2011 3:27:58 PM PST
Ann says:
that's not the point. we're not talking about the wool, the entire boot is made of sheep SKIN. the sheep definitely has to be killed to make the boots

Posted on Dec 29, 2011 6:01:39 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 29, 2011 6:02:34 PM PST]
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Fashion forum (241 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Fashion forum
Participants:  35
Total posts:  47
Initial post:  Nov 25, 2011
Latest post:  Nov 25, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions