Customer Discussions > Fashion forum

Women's boots with SKINNY calves

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 276 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 29, 2011 10:07:23 AM PST
anj says:
It's frustrating that even with sites that show calf circumference, I still receive boots that are way too wide (the sites are off on the measurement quite frequently, and often they do not agree on circumference between sites).

I have to rely on reviews in which women say they have VERY narrow calves and that the boots fit. If you have unusually thin calves and have found boots that fit, please post!

Mine are only 12.5 inches and I wear a size 9. Slim pickin's (no pun intended!).

Posted on Nov 29, 2011 4:55:47 PM PST
Mae says:
I have the same issue... I'm 5 ft 11 and size 6 feet and my calves are about 12in... so if you find anything let me know

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2011 7:51:09 PM PST
Julia LW says:
I also have very thin calves and have good luck with Aldo's sizing. However, I only wear my tall boots with jeans so that fills out any gapping.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2011 8:30:59 PM PST
walady says:
I have very slim legs (14" calf). And very narrow feet . I am tall, 5'10". Blondo boots have fit me in both the foot and calf area. The Vallero.
If your calf is 12.5, I would say there will be enough gap for skinny jeans, but there is no way it will look sloppy. And, of-course, if your foot is small, the calf size will go down proportionally.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2011 11:30:31 PM PST
SoShoeMe says:
I too wear a size 9 and my calves are a tad larger @12.75 but that's only for about an inch of my leg; below and above that 1" band they go down to less than that. The only boots I have found that fit perfectly are Tahari brand. They are a riding boot style but a bit more refined and not chunky. They cane be dressed up or down. They are all leather except the back half which is, of all things stretch but a stiff enough fabric that is doesn't stretch unless you need it to. Now they are a riding boot and they do come up to just under the crease behind my knee when leg its bent and the front is slightly higher than the back so they are a tall shaft. I am 5'8" and all legs (34" inseam needed w/ flats or barefoot, so they might be a bit tall for someone with shorter legs. They are 'Tahari Cindy'. I paid @150 last year at TJ Maxx and they have had them on eBay this year for $99- $150. They don't have 9's right now but if you go there and type in the name above, you can see what they look like. On the OTHER hand, for casual wear I have some Born boots that are more of a 3/4 height and much more casual. They are too big in the calves but since it is usually cold and I am doing something casual outdoors when I wear them (concert, art shows, etc) I wear thick knee highs under my skinny jeans and it really helps as the socks come right up to that crease behind my knee when leg is bent so no one can even tell.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2011 11:34:44 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 30, 2011 11:36:14 AM PST
anj says:
@Mae
Just got Bebe Margarets that were too wide-calved. :(

These fit me pretty well...
-Trouve' Skylar
-Charles by Charles David Griot

They are both laceups and would still probably have an inch extra on you (thick socks?) if tightened up all the way.

Last year I invested $300 in a pair of Duo boots (UK) that were worth it. They're the only pair that fits me perfectly, and they don't lace up!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2011 11:38:52 AM PST
anj says:
@SoShoeMe

Wow! We have very similar stats. (I'm 5'9 with 34" inseam.)

Thanks for the reply. I will check those out.

Posted on Nov 30, 2011 3:03:17 PM PST
I'm so glad I found this discussion! I recently started a blog to help women with narrow calves boots - www.LittleContessa.blogspot.com. I have 12" calves (size 6) and have also had a lot of difficulty finding cute boots. I've featured a couple of boot reviews and started an ongoing feature in which I list boots that I've heard about/seen that seem promising. I ordered the Simple BRRRlin boot today (http://www.zappos.com/simple-brrlin) and plan to feature a review once I get it next week. I heard they're a good option for 12" calves b/c of the adjustable buckle in the back.

Posted on Dec 1, 2011 4:29:06 PM PST
Chesh says:
LittleContessa, your blog is a GODSEND! I love you!

It's really nice to see that other women have calves in my range--mine are 11". When people talk about "narrow calves" they're usually referring to legs that can't get like, a perfectly airtight fit in standard 15"-16" boot shafts, and I feel like a freak! Thank god I'm not the only one.

I love my Miz Mooz Hannahs, which are lace-ups with a shaft like these Steve Madden Perrins: Steve Madden Women's Perrin Knee-High Boot,Black Leather,6 M US

Nice wide tongue so you can lace them as tight as you need to! Neither seem widely available anymore, but you could check ebay.

I've also tried the Dingo Olivia: Ladies' Dingo® Pigskin Slouch Harness Boot, BLACK, 9

It's only mid-calf, but it's still relatively small compared to a lot of options at 13.25", and I think slouch boots and cowboy boots are two areas where you can get away with a little extra space. Anyway, they looked pretty cute, but I ended up sending them back because I don't like pigskin.

Other than that, I've heard that Fluevogs run pretty narrow in the calf. Has anyone tried them?

Posted on Dec 2, 2011 11:08:18 AM PST
I wear a 9.5 and my calves are about 12". My best pair of boots are Charles Davids, they fit like a glove and they are very dressy/sexy. I also had luck years ago with some sleek riding boots from J Crew when they used to offer a narrow option... Sadly, I don't think thay do that anymore. My other go-to boots are MisMooz. I have several pairs, but they are more casual and I only wear them over jeans...

Posted on Dec 4, 2011 10:15:04 AM PST
is the set or is it just the pants

Posted on Dec 4, 2011 5:53:45 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 5, 2011 4:49:36 PM PST
A. Sera says:
Ugg Skylair - it's very pricey thou.. You can fold down the "sock" part on the top, it will look better for skinny calves.
Linky: http://www.uggaustralia.com/womens-skylair-tall-suede-boots/1936,default,pd.html
It was a tug o war getting it over skinny jeans, (not going to happen with boot cut jeans). I had not wear skirts (or shorts) in the past 20 years and maybe I will get one! - it makes me look that good! My calf is 13" my boot is a size 7.

Posted on Dec 8, 2011 1:04:07 PM PST
So I don't usually blog, but I read a lot of blogs. However, something just occured in relation to this issue that I felt I had to share. So, here goes, sorry if it's long...

I am 27 years old, and for 3 years I have been on the hunt for knee high or at least calf boots. However, my calves are 12" circumference at the widest, and it seems most mainstream boots are made with 14" or greater. I also have long feet (8 1/2), and it seems that most common shoe makers feel that longer feet = wider calves...not necessarily true. This turns out to be very frustrating for us skinny-calved gals just tryin to get it on the trends. Most of us resort to buying designer boots from Nordstom's or european custom fit boots with a hefty price tag. I guess I just can't commit to those prices, especially for something I can't even try on or see in real life first...

So anyways, for several seasons now my hunt has involved trying on boots in various shoe stores, ordering through zappos.com and returning etc, etc. However, with no real success I have stuck with booties, which are usually still too wide around my ankle and I end up hiding them under jeans and masking all the cute details. Well, that is until now...

When at my local DSW trying on boots for the thousanth time, I came across a cute pair or dark gray, "slouchy" calf boots with adjustible buckles at the ankle, and the calf. I'm a fan of the slouchy look, so I decided to give them a try. With my flares tucked in, and adding a little bulk, they actually looked good (not that I would actually ever wear them out with flares tucked in!) And, at $60 how could I not chance it until I could get home and try them with skinny jeans!? On my way to checkout I also grabbed a pair of cute crochet boot socks/leg warmers. With my receipt safely in hand in case it didn't work out, I ran home to try them on with skinny jeans, and voila! Slouchy boots that arent too terribly wide, over skinny jeans with boot socks (either sticking out a little or cuffed over boot edge) is a good look for us skinny-calved gals!! I even think it would work with just the boot socks and a skirt, though I have not tried yet.

Another revelation I've had that may help all my fellow skinny-calved gals is combining boot socks pulled up to right below knee with booties. I have a pair of dark brown booties that are supposed to be fitted around the ankle (however on me they leave an extra inch or so of space and look goofy). But, when worn over boot socks that match close enough in color, they give the look of a knee high boot. It may sound weird, but I think the fact that the booties are suede and match the socks well makes it work. This is another cute idea to be worn with skirts and keep you warm at the same time!! Isn't it great when fashion meets function and doesn't break the bank!?

Posted on Dec 9, 2011 10:11:34 AM PST
J. Crow says:
I too have this issue. My calves are only 13". I looked wide and far for skinny calf boots and the only ones that actually are skinny are the ones I found at Duo. You will be ordering these from London using custom calf measurements (they have from wide to narrow). Plus, they have tons of different styles! I spent $250 on mine about two years ago. I decided the price was worth it since I am going to take good care of them (boot trees, etc) and they are great leather, great quality, and will last me a lifetime. Not to mention, you could spend that much on a great leather non-custom pair right here in the United States. I am very pleased with the great fit and with my purchase overall. Highly recommended! www.DuoBoots.com

Posted on Dec 12, 2011 10:27:09 PM PST
Have you tried places that sell clothes and other items that are no longer new? I know my mother had a great pair of boots that had small calves (definately not me) and she gave them away. I have a great Goodwill in my area, and while I wouldn't buy running shoes there, I would be tempted to buy a boot or nice heal that isn't showing a lot of wear. I think the craftsmanship, price and size of the women 30-50 years ago would help you find something that fit, and you could add some details to them after purchase with the money you save by going this way.

Posted on Dec 13, 2011 1:12:57 AM PST
lv fan says:
I would try Aldo boots.

Posted on Dec 13, 2011 6:56:43 AM PST
Just A. Girl says:
I'm so thrilled to find this discussion totally by accident. I have tried on countless boots and the calf is always too big. I'm going to bookmark your blog, LittleContessa!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2011 9:13:17 AM PST
tracy says:
I found this boot here on Amazon - Roxy Women's Trukee Boot - it's lace up and I can wear it folded down or all the way up to mid calf - they fit my less than 12 in skinny legs and are comfortable enough for everyday use - they used to come in black but now I can only find them in brown.

$75

Roxy Women's Trukee Boot,Black,6 B US

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2011 12:18:43 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 18, 2011 12:23:43 PM PST
percy says:
I am NEVER able to find boots that fit my calves. I am 5'7" and my chicken leg calves are just under 12" at the widest point. Found these chinese laundry boots that fit great with skinny jeans!
http://www.dsw.com/shoe/chinese+laundry+venora+over+the+knee+wedge+boot?prodId=225807

(they are chinese laundry z-venora)
just a tiny gap in the back but honestly you don't notice it at all. they are a softer leather so may slouch, but they zip in the ankle so actually fit very snugly to my skinny ankles They have an elastic band in the back so i'm sure fit people with big calves as well, but they are a godsend for me. Have been to every major deparment store, shoe boutique, etc in chicago looking for black boots under $300. They do seem to get wider with increasing shoe size (I wear a 6), so may be bigger in the calf if you have a bigger foot. But worth a try! Have another pair of chinese laundry boots in brown that I don't think they make any more that are pretty good but not as good as these.

Posted on Dec 19, 2011 12:20:07 AM PST
Try Picolino and Biviel boots. Both have worked for me.

Posted on Dec 19, 2011 9:23:49 AM PST
A. Nerdin says:
I also have slender calves and long legs, and wear a size 9. I usually have the problem of the boot calf not only being too wide but below my calf. I can't afford the designer boots, so I've been on the hunt. I just bought a pair of Franco Sarto black 2 in heel boots and they fit well. I got them at famous footwear for $70 just before thanksgiving. They are the stretch faux leather, but hey they fit! They'll work for a couple years.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2011 3:58:52 PM PST
anj says:
Thanks!
A couple more I've found...
-Extreme by Eddie Marc riding boots- they don't make it up to the top of my calf, but they do fit snugly. These are synthetic lace-ups and hard to find. They are somewhat narrow in the foot and run 1/2 size or so too small (9 fits like an 8-8 1/2, but I'm tolerating them thus far). They were very affordable, but true 9s may not be available.
-Diba Hear Me Now- Straightish-fitting leather (not expensive looking, though) boots that were very affordable. Due to the style, they are looser in the ankle than the calf, but they fit pretty well, with an extra inch of circumference at most. They hit in between mid-calf and knee on me.

Posted on Dec 21, 2011 12:55:45 AM PST
G. Smith says:
'Bernadette' by Modern Vintage is a black over-the-knee, riding-style flat boot that is very slim fitting along the entire shaft. The top circumference (lower thigh area) measures 14.5" around. They normally run about $400.00 but are on sale at many places now. Amazon currently has the best price at $109.49; but available sizes are limited. Hope that helps. =)

Modern Vintage Women's Bernadette Boot,Black/Black,7 M US

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2011 6:36:44 AM PST
tracy says:
Wow, those 'Bernadette' by Modern Vintage boots look great - leather AND $100? Free shipping and it will get to me by Christmas, a present to myself! Thanks for posting this, I ordered a pair!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2011 7:03:41 PM PST
Little Ren says:
I have a pair of Kooba Larissa that are good for slim calves, just putting them up for sale on ebay right now.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Fashion forum (236 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Fashion forum
Participants:  112
Total posts:  276
Initial post:  Nov 29, 2011
Latest post:  Jun 5, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 53 customers

Search Customer Discussions