Customer Discussions > Fashion forum

Why don't women wear pantyhose and stockings anymore?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 5254 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2009 2:35:58 PM PST
Verita says:
Q. Why don't women wear pantyhose anymore?

A. Because we don't have to!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2009 5:51:28 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Feb 24, 2009 6:25:55 PM PST]

Posted on Feb 24, 2009 6:25:37 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 24, 2009 6:31:28 PM PST
taperpowell says:
Maybe your boyfriend and I have a lot in common, because I'm always careful when I purport to speak for "all men". I'm not sure I can do that, but I can speak for myself, and I agree with your boyfriend--women in stockings are very sexy. For me, and again that's the only definitive statement I can make, thigh-high's with the garter are probably the most provocative; then in order down the line, stay-up thigh-high's with the elastic or silicone bands; then tights; then pantyhose last, but those are still attractive. From totally sheer to completely opaque, shiny to matte, a woman with sexy legs is only made sexier with the covering. Maybe it's because there is an added mystery to it, or the added softness (I also love the feel)...I'm not exactly sure the entire psychology of it. Related to this, also on a previous post, someone said something about why would you want to look at plastic (nylon) instead of bare skin. Granted; but silk, microfiber, and even cotton or wool are also sometimes used, and each has its own appeal.

My girlfriend does not always wear them, but knows how much I enjoy seeing her that way, and sometimes will do so for my benefit because she likes how it makes me look at her. And, while I won't name the article specifically, she does have a favorite in terms of which leg covering is the most comfortable for her to wear, so that's what she chooses most often. It need not be an all-or-nothing, women-against-men, power struggle kind of conversation. There can be compromise, and it's true on the man's side as well...sometimes I wear a shirt, tie and slacks; in fact, if we're going out and she's dressed up, I feel underdressed if I don't, so it's not a one-sided thing (for us). And, of course, I like to appear attractive to her, just as she likes to for me.

Do I hope or believe it will ever become fashionable again for most women? Just as I can only speak for my own likes/dislikes as a man, I don't care so much about whether "most" women like to wear stockings as I care about whether the woman I'm with does. It is a matter of personal preference, and there are those nature girls out there who won't want to wear particularly feminine clothing or perhaps even shave, and that's fine. But I will always be attracted more to the woman who wears little to no face makeup, but likes to dress in classic feminine style, including skirts and stockings (the posts made earlier by Piano Girl come to mind). If she carries herself as such a woman, and I view her that way, I will regard her that way. Track with me now, I don't mean in a demeaning sense...I mean that the woman I regard as truly feminine I will give a higher place of honor in my treatment of her, especially in a personal relationship.

So if you enjoy dressing so that he notices you, and it still is a relationship based on respect (you don't have the impression it reduces you to an object or that it's all about the article of clothing), surprise your boyfriend by dressing up that way a few times when he's not expecting it, and see if his interest and esteem for you actually increases. Maybe you'll get a nice surprise out of the deal too.

Posted on Feb 25, 2009 1:35:21 AM PST
Panty hose are not and never going to be out of style. Wear what you want, each person is different. Of course I wouldn't wear them with summery dresses that you usually wear sandles with, but you can put a little self tanner on your legs in the summer for those styles and capris. Take care and feel the fabric before buying, there are some awful fabrics out there now in panty hose, get the silky feeling ones and put your hand in and hold up to light to make sure they don't look streaky, you want smooth, and to get rid of the waist cinching get a sz larger or a tall in your size and pull the waistline up past your own waist. If they are still too long pull some down and tuck under your toes, toes usually need extra cushion any way.
I think sheer light tan in summer is best and the ones that are slightly thicker in winter if they show. Tights with boots for warmth , but what ever , to each thier own. Darker colors slim and highlight the leg and are sexy. If you go bare and self tan use enough moisturizer to have a nice glow. JMHO but I think we will see a BIG comeback soon with textured panty hose and colors. If you find the silky soft panty hose you will love them! TOtally agreee with the plastic feeling ones, ICK!!!
Also to get a wonderful smooth line free silouette don't wear panties with the panty hose.

Posted on Feb 25, 2009 5:45:51 AM PST
Rita Waters says:
We don't wear them because they are torture devices. Yes men like them and think they are sexy. I say let them wear them if they like them so much.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 25, 2009 6:42:29 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Feb 25, 2009 6:42:58 AM PST]

Posted on Feb 26, 2009 2:29:29 PM PST
Patience says:
My old daughter who is quickly coming up on her 30th birthday, has chastized me for wanting her to wear at least knee or thigh high hosiery for when she goes to choose the bridal gown for her upcoming wedding. Her response to me was, "no one wears hosiery anymore no matter how long of dress or skirt they wear." She does not even live in an area of the country that is considered a high fashion area, and she is still totally convince her statement is unquestionably true. These days, is her sentiments, concerning all types of sheer hosiery, true for most 20 - 30 year olds.

Posted on Feb 26, 2009 2:35:53 PM PST
Patience says:
Sorry I did not mean to type "old" daughter. That is not my description of her

Posted on Feb 26, 2009 9:16:03 PM PST
I'm from the days where you wore a girdle and nylons every day. Pants weren't permitted in school. I will wear panty hose if I am wearing a dress, but I find them very uncomfortable. No matter what size I buy, the crotch ends up down to my knees and I have to keep pulling them up.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2009 4:43:27 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Sep 30, 2009 5:07:46 AM PDT]

Posted on Feb 27, 2009 9:31:12 AM PST
Wynter Rayne says:
??? women wear stockings and nylons all the time!!
especially well dressed women... (no offence to anyone) its just that depending on the style of most women some women this era prefer to be plain but i you live in a high class are believe me you will see alot! they also have tights with patterns these days. i wear nylons under fishnets or by themselves...

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2009 4:29:55 PM PST
CalNative says:
I used to wear L'eggs sheer energy pantyhose - did so for about 20 years, mainly because I had such low blood pressure that I'd pass out if I didn't have support while standing for more than five minutes. Back in 1979 and 1981, when I gave birth to my son and daughter, respectively, L'eggs also made maternity sheer energy. Up until I was about 7 months pregnant, I simply moved from size B to size Q (I'm 6'1" tall, but very thin). Afterwards, until delivery, I wore the maternity pantyhose (which are no longer made). I continued wearing pantyhose to work, and lace-top stockings for 'play', as well as stunning clothing (which I was able to buy at pennies on the dollar because I was far thinner than the average woman, so size 4 garments usually ended up in 'outlet' stores.

However, I had to give up wearing any kind of pantyhose when I developed severe ulcerating Crohn's disease, with the worst ulcers in the splenic flexure and transverse colon. Could not tolerate even loose skirts, much less pantyhose. On the few occasions when I go out (to the doctor's office), I wear L'eggs Sheer Energy knee-highs, very soft leggings, and a long sweater or cotton T-shirt. ::sigh:: Sometimes I kind of miss the old days, but I did have 30 years of model-type fashion-wear.

I have relatives in Georgia, and am told that *no one* wears stockings or pantyhose because of the heat and humidity.

Generally speaking, I think that the move away from wearing nylons/pantyhose is akin to the moves away (decades ago) from wearing girdles, hats, and gloves whenever one went out, even if it was only to the market! Prior to that, women left off wearing corsets, bloomers, pantelets, chemises, hoop skirts, petticoats, bustles, and body-drowning mourning crepe. By the same token, men gave off wearing top hats, high-neck collars and long neck wraps/ties, morning coats, knee-britches and silk stockings, and all the other useless, cumbersome, and expensive attire.

We move on. Things change, and the bad economy (along with global warming) usually drives one away from buying useless articles of clothing, just as during WWII women gave up wearing silk stockings because the silk was needed for such things as parachutes (pre-nylon era).

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2009 4:53:51 PM PST
CalNative says:
"Hosiery with a wedding gown is always in the best taste."

Ummm. . . I'm not exactly sure who made you the arbiter of "best taste", but don't get too comfortable in that role.

My 5'10" daughter wore a (size 0) wedding dress of extremely simple, flowing silk knit jersey in white. We found that any and all underclothing showed through, even with extra lining, so she went without, wearing only the stunning dress, and very long single layer silk veil, and "Cinderella" heels. She was the ultimate 'princess bride' - gorgeous beyond belief! BTW, her clothing and shoes were bought for her by her groom Both of them did not care for the silly frippery so often associated with wedding attire.

It was kind of strange that her dress style was nearly the same as my "mother of the bride" gown. I did kid her, though, because she insisted that I wear underclothing (which I'd eschewed years earlier), while she wore none! I've honestly never seen a more beautiful bride. (BTW, she and I both wore open-toed heels - hers were acrylic, a la Cinderella's glass slippers, and mine were a very soft apricot silk-covered sling-back - most elegant. . . for us, both of whom spent time as models)

Posted on Feb 27, 2009 5:20:34 PM PST
J. Blake says:
Interesting topic. I was wondering what this trend was about myself, so had to come read what people were saying.

So pantyhose are out of vogue at the moment, and it appears a good portion of the reason is because a number of women find them itchy, hot, uncomfortable in some other way, or unattractive. Interesting.

I don't find them uncomfortable or itchy, although I'd have to agree with hot in hot weather. Then again, I'm not crazy about the feeling of my thighs sticking together in the heat either. And I can't imagine going bare-legged in winter - just too cold to have all that leg exposed!

Garter belts, now there's discomfort! No thanks.

Of all of the posts here I most agree with Melody C. Orr's. Absolutely, fashion cycles. Always has, always will, and hose will undoubtedly come back into vogue. Ultimately, I believe in wear what makes the most sense for you, what you're the most comfortable in, feels best, and you like the way you look.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2009 8:58:43 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 27, 2009 8:59:48 PM PST
DC says:
Posted on Feb 20, 2009 12:02 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 20, 2009 8:00 PM PST
DreamWeaver says:
Michael Goodwin-> it has been shown in "currant" studies that wearing a bra, does NOT change the way a woman's breasts will, or will not sag.
Your views on bras, OLD SCHOOL!

DreamWeaver, you are right. Some studies have shown that wearing a bra can actually cause more sag. Something about ligaments not being used because breasts are supported by shoulders when wearing a bra.

I've read that size, age and menopause will start the sagging process. Writing from experience, once you hit middle age, your breasts start racing to your bellybutton. You can't stop the march of time, unless you have a good plastic surgeon.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2009 9:59:56 PM PST
VR says:
jeez...

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2009 10:13:05 PM PST
orchid says:
because they don't have to! gak, the highlight of my day when i worked in a law office was taking them off! for me, dresses are for warm weather and bare legs.

Posted on Feb 27, 2009 11:30:02 PM PST
Audry Jo says:
I cannot wear dress shoes without pantyhose... or hardly casual shoes without socks without getting sores on my feet! Whomever thinks pantyhose are not comfortable must not be buying quality pairs. Spend a few extra dollars and they will not only make you more comfortable than not wearing them, but quality hose also last a long time! When working or dressing up I always wear them unless a trouser sock is appropriate! In the summer I cannot be outside and walk across a parking lot without at least knee highs without discomfort. They are like the base layer a runner wears, designed to wick sweat away from the skin. My best friend occasionally wears cheap novelty hose with ridiculous shoes and then gets sores from her fishnets and uses it as an argument against hose. She wears dress cloths to work every day and when I see her I sometimes think that her all black dressier looks just look awkward without bare legs.

Posted on Feb 28, 2009 12:16:12 AM PST
K. Budzek says:
Wow, what heated discussion about a topic no one knew was hot!

The variance in temperature probably has a lot to do with this... Living in Oklahoma now (grad school. what can I say?), but from Ohio with family in New Jersey... it depends on how many months out of a year are sundress weather! I have no problem wearing pants most of the winter here, especially since it is so short! Half of the year I'm in capris or skirts with sandals, which makes it rare that I am "itching" to wear a skirt when it's chilly. Back in Ohio (high school, undergrad), I almost always wore nylons if I wore a skirt shorter than calf-length, for a myriad of reasons: it was cold, it was hot, don't want to feel awkwardly naked in class, or I was wearing a skirt just so I could get to wear my striped or spotted or whatever hipster nylons. But with chunky shoes, I guess that's what made it different than the new wave of legging-mania.

Fabric makes a difference, too. Cotton, linen = usually no nylons. Wool, most plastics, any lined skirt = nylons.
Lined skirts (the kind that don't need a slip), that reminds me ... I have definitely been lightly teased for being "old fashioned" by friends/coworkers (you know, in grad school, everyone is both AND neither!) not for wearing nylons, but for wearing a slip (just a half-slip, nothing fancy!) between the nylons and the skirt. I guess other people who wear skirts either only wear neat, pencil skirts or don't need to WALK anywhere... or, they're simply not wearing nylons!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2009 5:58:30 AM PST
B. Morgan says:
Pantyhose or any other type hose are like makeup. They hide flaws. If you have none, go bare, if you need at least the bare minerals help, they work. Stick with the sheerest and highest quality you can buy. Aged 30 or more needs are different from young 20 somethings. As for wearing plastic, most clothes have man-made fibers. Not many have the time for the ironing which all truely natural fibers require. Sit on them once and wear your wrinkles all day.

Posted on Feb 28, 2009 6:12:28 AM PST
S. barnes says:
Hose are the proper undergarment to wear with a skirt or dress, sheer is more attractive, and opague tights for the winter,wool blend or cashmere blend (very expensive)

Posted on Feb 28, 2009 6:14:33 AM PST
S. barnes says:
...Also stockings are timeless! An outfit just so incomplete without pantyhose-just my opinion.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2009 6:40:25 AM PST
"Why should women become virtually crippled by trying to please some juvenile obsessions of men who are stuck in the 19th century"
THANK YOU!! I personally do like to wear high heels becuase I love the way they make me feel. I"m very tall as it is but I just LOVE the way high heels come in so many different styles and colors. I don't wear panty hose or thigh highs anymore..I do and wear what makes me happy. I'm tired of the stereotypes that men and the media place on us because it gives women so much pressure to always have to be perfect. Dove's Campaign for Beauty!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2009 6:49:07 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Sep 30, 2009 5:07:17 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2009 8:19:31 AM PST
I enjoy wearing pantyhose. They make my dresses look better and give me a smooth look. I think they make me look sexy. In my case, pantyhose never left. I enjoy the bare leg look in the summer and spring but in the fall and winter, I want pantyhose
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Fashion forum (236 discussions)

ARRAY(0xd94e689c)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Fashion forum
Participants:  1406
Total posts:  5254
Initial post:  Feb 16, 2009
Latest post:  7 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 56 customers

Search Customer Discussions