Professional restaurant supplies BDD_MSW16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon Sixx AM Fire TV Stick Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS
Customer Discussions > Father's Day forum

what to get a dad with no hobbies

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 76 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 4, 2012 4:42:39 AM PDT
Jenii523 says:
what do you buy a dad for fathers day that has no hobbies, interests, doesnt like clothes or cologne?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2012 6:59:24 AM PDT
Szaborah says:
my dad is the same way...80 years old, plays cribbage and poker, doesn't need a thing. ideas??

Posted on Jun 4, 2012 7:43:56 AM PDT
My dad is the same way, 66 years old, plays yahtzee and watches tv. I've posted a few choices. I really like the ideas from This Old House. I think getting your dad some starter materials for a new project is really cool. Then, here is what google said to offer him:

http://cbswqal.wordpress.com/2011/06/17/top-10-unique-gifts-for-the-father-who-has-everything/10/

http://www.newyankee.com/index.php#ecwid:category=0&mode=product&product=7916662

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2012 9:52:09 AM PDT
Garrock says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jun 4, 2012 11:04:01 AM PDT
Kindle fire or any other tablet you can afford. Make it awesome by setting it up for him, in advance. Hook it up to the wifi, pick apps he will like and create an account on yahoo for him so he is ready to open and go.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2012 1:43:13 PM PDT
MOMAGIRL says:
if on med's pay for one or more.
if he has a cell phone pay a month or more bill

Posted on Jun 4, 2012 5:01:47 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 4, 2012 5:02:07 PM PDT
B. Smith says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2012 5:13:00 PM PDT
Poor old dad says:
Well, let's see....I'm 59, soon to be 60 and I bet my kids say the same thing, that I have no hobbies and that I work all the time. I own a manufacturing plant and that occupies my days and I have also been a woodworker all my life, though my kids look at that as work.

If your dad truly has no hobbies, etc., simply look at what he does to fill his time each day and buy him something to assist in that pursuit. If he watches TV, get him a better remote. If he "looks" at magazines, look at the type of mags and get him a subscription he doesn't have. If he watches sports, learn the team that he follows and get him some team memorabilia. Whatever you do, absolutely do not buy him stuff that you have an interest in and that you think he should also. I hate cooking, yet invariably, I get cookbooks, utensils, or gift cards for food.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2012 7:18:22 PM PDT
Rachel P. says:
Write your Dad a letter and ask him to read it out loud on Fathers Day. Then add an Amazon gift card and help him pick out something. If my Dad was still alive he would have gotten a kick out of this.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2012 10:19:50 PM PDT
Photographer says:
Thanks--Great advice!

Posted on Jun 5, 2012 7:35:54 PM PDT
Mine is the same way, but he's 63. Gift cards to restaurants are always great...

Posted on Jun 5, 2012 11:31:20 PM PDT
C. Moore says:
What do you get for the dad that just works hard everyday?? He's not into clothes or gadgets and I got him tools last year. So, I'm really out of options. If someone is in a similar situation, please let me know what you got your father. Thanks.

Posted on Jun 6, 2012 5:41:32 AM PDT
S. Lyons says:
order some beef jerky...buffalo bills is awesome. every man should appreciate jerky

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 6, 2012 5:56:38 AM PDT
Z.B says:

Posted on Jun 6, 2012 9:33:15 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jun 6, 2012 9:45:43 AM PDT]

Posted on Jun 8, 2012 5:47:42 PM PDT
James Ryan says:
look on ebay, etsy and moon pig. They have fab things from tacky to sentimental. You can pick up some lovely bits that are personalised for him x x x

Posted on Jun 8, 2012 7:23:23 PM PDT
Karen Dunn says:
My best answer is time.... something they can cherish for a lifetime.

Posted on Jun 8, 2012 7:49:53 PM PDT
MOzas says:
Yeah, things will fade and end up in a closet. But experiences will last a lifetime. Buy a fishing rod and take the old man fishing and drink some cold beer on a hot day.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2012 10:44:12 PM PDT
can't go wrong with electronics:)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2012 7:03:02 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 9, 2012 7:04:17 AM PDT
Julia Manley says:
Love your suggestion Creative Idea! Thank you.

Posted on Jun 9, 2012 7:49:29 AM PDT
do what i did. I used windows movie maker and made a mashup of pictures and videos of stuff we did together put a song to it and wrote a poem with it. touched his heart.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2012 1:47:13 PM PDT
Stephanie says:
Movie card?

Posted on Jun 12, 2012 12:59:55 AM PDT
Lori says:
I have the same problem. My dad isn't computer savy, doesn't really watch tv or movies more than once, doesn't do home improvements or fix things or build things, doesn't read books, and has no hobbies (that I'm aware of). He's not eating sweets like he used to so candies, etc. are out, and he doesn't drink any alcohol. I live a state away so "time" isn't an option. But a good friend gave me a great idea. My dad is a huge tea drinker and likes honey in his tea. I found (on Amazon) some gourmet honeys. If your dad is a big coffee drinker, get him some fancy coffee or a fancy coffee maker (those "k-cup" machines?). If he likes beers, you can get a fun selection of different beers from around the world. If he really likes popcorn...you get the idea.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2012 11:18:23 AM PDT
SaraJo says:
What about a really nice cribbage set? Like hand carved or made of a unique material. I love cribbage :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2012 12:03:47 PM PDT
Joycie H says:
One of the best gifts we ever gave our tough to buy for dad was a movie basket. I got a rather wide basket, chose some rather inexpensive "classic" movies, add a couple of "popcorn" style bowls and mix in some microwave popcorn packages and you're there. Our dad was amazed and so excited to put on the ritz for movie nights several nights in a row. It was fun. You could even include some jammie pants and a tee shirt.... Good luck!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Father's Day forum (37 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Father's Day forum
Participants:  70
Total posts:  76
Initial post:  Jun 4, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 15, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 10 customers

Search Customer Discussions