Customer Discussions > Fiction forum

Announcement

Important announcement from Amazon

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 54 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 17, 2011 4:00:14 PM PDT
Amazon recently created a new community for authors. The `Meet Our Authors' community is designed to give authors a space to engage with one another and promote their latest and greatest works.

With the advent of the new community, we will no longer allow self promotional posts in other communities. Starting on Saturday, May 14th, all "shameless self promotion" activity will be limited to the `Meet Our Authors' community. Promotional threads outside of these forums will be removed.

We invite authors and interested readers to come join the discussion at:

http://www.amazon.com/forum/meet%20our%20authors

We look forward to seeing you!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2011 5:19:06 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Mar 17, 2012 9:31:09 AM PDT]

Posted on Aug 1, 2011 7:18:05 PM PDT
M. White says:
Marylou; promoting on the thread that specifies no self promotion, like your style!

Having a 'meet the authors' forum is all very well, but will result in one forum boiling over with writers, with little opportunity to distinguish between genres.

Much better IMO to allow promotion, within limits, on the appropriate genre specific forums e.g. humor, sci-fi etc. Gives readers the chance to find a book of interest without trawling through thousands of 'Under $0.99' posts

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 1, 2011 8:22:53 PM PDT
I'm not following you, please simplify. Are u saying I should specify the genre my book represents?

Posted on Aug 15, 2011 3:06:55 PM PDT
Iola says:
M White is saying that you should not be even mentioning your own book anywhere except the new Meet our Authors forum. Readers look to these boards to get recommendations from other readers (or just to chat). Too many customer discussions have been taken over by authors trying to promote their own books, to the point that no one reads those discussions any more, and those who do blacklist the authors who post regarding their own books.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2011 9:57:38 AM PDT
fonts says:
Could not agree with you more D. Goulton. I even quit one discussion because of this and I really did enjoy it before it got taken over by authors.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2011 10:09:48 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Nov 1, 2011 10:11:43 AM PDT]

Posted on Mar 16, 2012 2:04:48 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Mar 16, 2012 2:05:02 PM PDT]

Posted on Mar 16, 2012 6:19:58 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Mar 25, 2012 9:55:27 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2012 8:52:25 AM PDT
its about time

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2012 9:03:53 PM PDT
The announcement is from 10 months ago.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2012 9:22:17 PM PDT
music

and yet they are still doing it

Posted on Mar 25, 2012 12:09:51 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 25, 2012 12:18:12 AM PDT
Simon says:
I wonder if the powers that be could give some indication as to what is considered self-promotion? To clarify, I recently had a perfectly ordinary conversation with someone on an Amazon discussion, who turned out to be an author, and only mentioned this in passing. Being naive about this issue of self promotion, I pursued him for more info on his book, as it was a genre in which I'm always on the look out for new authors and titles. Once I started asking questions, he backed off, and the discussion seemed to draw to an extremely unnatural close.

I can perfectly understand blatant, unprovoked, self promotion of a book or author, to be a nagging irritation for most people. However, if, as in my case, a perfectly natural discussion takes place, where one of the contributors makes a relevant comment as to the fact that they are an author, and someone else wants to know more, surely one post, with some brief info, and a suggestion that the person opens a discussion in 'Meet the authors' would be acceptable? I think it would be a gross mistake to limit the flow of natural chat, don't you? Also, if someone who posts in a discussion, and reveals that they are an author, maybe mentioning specific works, and this is also relevant to the discussio subject, surely that has to be okay too? I hope a little common sense will prevail on this, because I definitely felt that my particular discussion came to an abrupt end, even though the overall subject of the discussion was being adhered to in this case.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 25, 2012 2:26:32 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 25, 2012 2:28:23 PM PDT
Iola says:
"However, if, as in my case, a perfectly natural discussion takes place, where one of the contributors makes a relevant comment as to the fact that they are an author, and someone else wants to know more, surely one post, with some brief info, and a suggestion that the person opens a discussion in 'Meet the authors' would be acceptable?"

Yes. And no.

I agree, it sounds perfectly reasonable. But if Amazon were to allow this, it would be about five minutes before a shameless self-promoter decided to use to create a new account under a fake name to start a conversation to 'ask' for recommendations about books in their genre. They would then respond using their author name to the questions they posed using the fake account, making it look like a 'real' conversation. They also post reviews for their own books using their fake name.

It's been done before (and authors have been caught out by posting recommendations under their own name, not under their fake name, because they lose track of all their login names). If you've seen references to shills or sock puppets, this is what they are talking about.

The best advice I've heard is for all authors to have their profile up to date and linking to their books and author website. That way, when a curious poster (such as yourself) clicks on their profile (which you do by clicking on the blue name at the top of their posts), you can link to their website and see for yourself what they write. And buy it, if it suits you.

ETA: incidentally, blank profiles like yours are most at risk of being called out as shills and sock puppets.

Posted on May 18, 2012 5:37:41 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 3, 2012 11:33:04 AM PDT]

Posted on May 18, 2012 6:36:10 AM PDT
there are multiple forums here on amazon that are virtual wastelands because of all the self-promotion...where regular readers don't want to post because they were/are bombarded by promotion from self-published authors in every thread. I love how you refer to the BBA as Divas...in case you didn't notice, every incident of authors behaving badly has been provided with proof (thread links, screen shots etc)....there is no slander going on if its truth....

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2012 7:39:12 AM PDT
>>But when it comes down to dollars and cents, isn't the purpose of all this to help the author promote a book, and a reader to review the book?<<

No, it isn't. No one is allowed to promote their product. This includes not only authors, but vacuum cleaner salesmen, clothing manufacturers or anything else anyone has for sale.

>>So, could somebody tell me more about this "shameless self promotion", or at least define it?<<

Simple. Don't talk about what you have for sale.

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2012 8:50:06 AM PDT
Miss M says:
LOL, now there's a thought. Maybe all the self-promotional authors should take their "thoughts" over to the politics forum for "discussion." Most likely they'd never make it out alive and things would be a lot quieter around here.
I like it.

Posted on May 21, 2012 3:46:40 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 22, 2012 3:47:33 AM PDT
Danny Dean says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2012 5:23:34 AM PDT
here's the thing - you can chat in forums just don't mention your book - why is that so hard for authors to understand...if we are intrigued enough by what you have to say we'll check out profiles and maybe buy your stuff

but I couldn't even do that if I wanted to Danny because you don't have your author profile linked to your name...so I have no way to see what you have written

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2012 8:16:25 AM PDT
Judging from the tenor of his post, I don't think I'd want to read his book, anyway.

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2012 12:07:50 PM PDT
Miss M says:
always be glad for small favors...

In reply to an earlier post on May 22, 2012 4:02:59 AM PDT
Danny Dean says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on May 22, 2012 4:09:18 AM PDT
Seriously - are you that dense - no self promotion allowed!!!!

Posted on May 30, 2012 10:02:51 PM PDT
Simon says:
Danny

I admire your clear determination to learn to use a computer, and even more so to write your book on one. I did see an example of your own 'shameless self promotion', and felt that, computers aside, you need a little marketing guidance. It doesn't make good business sense to relate the entire plot line of a book if you want someone to read it, after all, a lot of people would see little sense in reading a story if they already know what happens. You also will not endear yourself to others if you display arrogance in your posts. If people like your general persona and find you to be a well balanced, charming, intelligent poster, then I'll wager that if you had your profile linked to a web page containing details about your book, you'll find that a far more effective method of publicising your work. People would naturally want to find out more about you...smiles
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Fiction forum (931 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Important announcement from Amazon
53 May 8, 2014
FBFM, Friends, Books, Food, and Movies 8741 20 minutes ago
How much Fiction is too much? 14 20 hours ago
World War 2 Fiction 22 20 hours ago
How Fiction Works. 26 23 hours ago
Poems for a While - Part 2 2287 1 day ago
Historical fiction 16 1 day ago
"GREAT" Books You Couldn't Bring Yourself To Finish 223 1 day ago
Help needed for dissertation research about book browsing behavior! 1 1 day ago
HG Wells Short Stories 11 2 days ago
Poetic Thoughts 4761 2 days ago
sci-fi suggestions 96 3 days ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Fiction forum
Participants:  24
Total posts:  54
Initial post:  May 17, 2011
Latest post:  May 8, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 11 customers

Search Customer Discussions