Shop Costumes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Grocery Introducing Handmade New Kitchen Scale from AmazonBasics Amazon Gift Card Offer redoaks redoaks redoaks  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now Kids Halloween
Customer Discussions > Fiction forum

World War 2 Fiction

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 27 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 4, 2012 1:51:53 PM PDT
P. Delahunty says:

I just purchased my Mother in law a new kindle. She loves fiction based on World War 2. In particular she loves thrillers with spies/french resistence etc.

Does anyone have any recomendations of books or authors?

Posted on Jun 5, 2012 9:43:19 AM PDT
I really like Alan Furst's novels, they're more atmospheric than police procedural/whodunnit.
The World at Night: A Novel (Jean Casson)

But check out this thread in the mystery forum - think they've covered almost all of the top writers I can think of:

Posted on Jun 6, 2012 12:55:04 PM PDT
Kate says:
Recently enjoyed "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society"

Posted on Jun 6, 2012 4:06:23 PM PDT
Kate says:
And there is a new one coming out (pre-order) that also looks good "Mission to Paris: A Novel"

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 6, 2012 8:44:40 PM PDT
Have that one on hold at the library!

Posted on Jun 7, 2012 12:45:08 AM PDT
P. Delahunty says:
Thanks for the recomendations so far - still looking for others if you have any

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2012 11:43:54 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 8, 2012 12:33:35 AM PDT
OldAmazonian says:
for luminous fact and fiction, WWII and after:

Fighter: The True Story of the Battle of Britain

Len Deighton: Three Complete Novels- Berlin Game / Mexico Set / London Match

for WWII history,

The Second World War

for real paranoia-in-a-tutu run amok,

The Einstein File: J. Edgar Hoover's Secret War Against the World's Most Famous Scientist

Posted on Jun 9, 2012 9:57:20 AM PDT
I read Spymistress a few months ago and enjoyed it quite a bit. It's not a thriller, but it does have a lot of interesting information about how the resistance worked behind the scenes.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2012 10:02:48 AM PDT
J. Brandt says:
"An Unlikely Spy" by Daniel Silva is an excellent WWII fiction thriller.

Posted on Jun 9, 2012 11:37:01 AM PDT
This one is free today - I did pick it up a while ago but haven't had a chance to read it yet - "Look inside" looks pretty good, though.

Fifth Column
The year is 1941.
Fifth Column is the story of Johanna Falck, a German immigrant who joins the new American central intelligence service. As Americans focus on the war in Europe and whether the United States should intervene, the FBI is rounding up scores of German spies. The German-American Bund, a pro-Nazi group of Americans suspected of being saboteurs and subversives, is at the center of the FBI's investigations.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2012 7:00:50 AM PDT
A. Customer says:
Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and RedemptionJust got this one from G, she posted it in another thread, but it looks like it might be good here.

Posted on Jun 10, 2012 7:57:57 AM PDT
The Information Officer: A Novel - set in Malta during WW2 wasn't bad. I also liked Chronicle in Stone: A Novel - set in Albania and looks at the battle between Greece/italy for this small country

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2012 8:26:09 AM PDT
A. Customer says:
Which puts me in mind of this one tooCaptain Corelli's Mandolin (Vintage Classics)

Posted on Jun 13, 2012 5:34:02 PM PDT
Rita Mulcahy says:
Most of Jack Higgins' later novels are contemporary thrillers but he made his name first with WW II action. Try The Eagle Has Landed, Night of the Fox, To Catch a King, The Valhalla Exchange and Luciano's Luck. Also, Ken Follett's first best sellers, Eye of the Needle and The Key to Rebecca.

Posted on Jun 24, 2012 2:32:54 PM PDT
P. Delahunty says:
Thanks for the recomendations everyone

Posted on Jul 1, 2012 10:02:57 AM PDT
You, Fascinating You

Here's a new biographical novel set in WWII-era Italy and Hungary:

The Historical Novel Society recently named "You, Fascinating You" Editor's Choice, an honor bestowed on a select few books exemplifying the best in historical fiction. Lovers of music, dance and epic drama will appreciate this true-life story of an indomitable ballerina who, banished from the stage by Mussolini, inspired a timeless love song only to fade from history without a trace.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2012 10:11:41 AM PDT
P. Delahunty says:
I make a point of never purchasing a book that an author recommends in a discussion group - these self recommendations are ruining Amazon discussion boards

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2014 9:25:51 AM PST
FZ says:
Frank Nappi's Echoes From the Infantry is haunting....

Echoes from the Infantry

Posted on Mar 5, 2014 7:00:37 AM PST
Catch 22

Posted on Jul 9, 2014 1:23:04 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 2, 2014 8:00:43 PM PDT
Steelers fan says:
The Winged Watchman--Hilda van Stockum ("The Book Thief" lovers will appreciate this)
Alistair MacLean's stuff

Posted on Jul 9, 2014 1:29:04 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 9, 2014 1:30:35 PM PDT
Steelers fan says:
The Verhagen family lives in a windmill, the Watchman, near Leyden. They help the Dutch Resistance. The story is told through the eyes of son Joris.

The Dutch polders had been reclaimed from the sea and drained through the help of windmills, which go back to the Middle Ages. The Resistance communicated through "windmill telegraph"; according to the position of the sails, coded messages could be sent for hundreds of miles. One windmill would pick up a message, adjust its sails accordingly, and send it to the next one down the line. The occupying Germans were unaware of this.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2014 5:08:47 PM PDT
That looks like a lovely story - wish it were on kindle, but I'm going to look out for a copy, thanks.

Posted on Jul 9, 2014 8:08:36 PM PDT
Steelers fan says:

Posted on Jul 11, 2014 8:08:46 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 19, 2014 6:10:50 AM PDT
Steelers fan says:
Ms. van Stockum authored more than one book about Nazi-occupied Holland, as well as other novels; I'm not familiar with the others. Some of her work is on Kindle.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2014 12:21:56 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jul 16, 2014 12:24:20 PM PDT]
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Fiction forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Fiction forum
Participants:  15
Total posts:  27
Initial post:  Jun 4, 2012
Latest post:  Jul 18, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions