Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon The Jayhawks Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer bschs2 bschs2 bschs2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEM
Customer Discussions > Fiction forum

Book discussion: "The Crew" by dougie Brimson

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 46 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 8, 2012 2:59:19 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 8, 2012 3:44:11 PM PDT
Splinker says:
The author is somewhat of a local personalty here on the forums. So let'ss see what he writes like. We will be reading and discussing The Crew over the next several days. Comments are always welcome. Interested readers can download the book for free. The Crew

Posted on Aug 8, 2012 3:01:59 PM PDT
Splinker says:
Let's start with the pitch.

APPEARANCES CAN BE DECEPTIVE - as Paul Jarvis of the National Football Intelligence Unit is only too well aware. He knows that Billy Evans is no ordinary East End lad made good. He's also a thug, a villain and a cop killer. Jarvis just hasn't been able to prove it... Yet.

So when Jarvis discovers that Evans is putting together a hooligan 'Super Crew' to follow England to Italy, he feels sure he can finally put Evans behind bars - if only someone can infiltrate the Crew and get him the proof he needs.

But nothing is ever that simple. The Crew believe Evans is just out for a full-on riot. Jarvis thinks he's trafficking drugs. But Billy Evans is always one step ahead. He has another plan. And it will be catastrophic for everyone concerned.

EXCEPT HIM.

Not a bad pitch. I thought it might benefit from a little tweaking, but the story sounds interesting. A somewhatmbasic plot that one might see in a movie.

Posted on Aug 8, 2012 3:16:17 PM PDT
Well, it's about time someone started a thread like this one.
Now wait up while I go read the first chapter so I can discuss it.

Posted on Aug 8, 2012 3:22:20 PM PDT
Splinker says:
I'm reading Chapter One. I find the writing could use a bit of editing but the story is very visual, which makes it easier for the mind to override any issues with exactly how the scene is being told. For example, while there's not much in the opening scene to make one feel empathy for the character who is suffering in the riot, due in part I think to the style and brevity of the writing, it is easy enough to picture a football riot and the angry crowds, etc. It's a little cookie cutter for my taste, but it moves the story along and it's easy enough to read.

Posted on Aug 8, 2012 3:35:37 PM PDT
Splinker says:
The opening scene would make a good opening scene for a movie.

Posted on Aug 8, 2012 3:49:10 PM PDT
I agree that the opening scene is very visual and would make a good opening scene for a movie. I did feel a bit of sympathy for Jarvis, and even winced at the bit where he thinks `protect the head', but otherwise I thought that the narration was strangely detached. The ensuing part, where Evans is sitting in his Mercedes outside his house, was a very useful and succinct bit of exposition (and I am not one of those who knock exposition) but I never really felt I was inside the mind of a hooligan. I would imagine that his bloodlust would be...I don't know...more palpable. As it is, I get a bigger thrill of fear and horror down my spine when reading one of the A.P.E.S in full cry.

Posted on Aug 10, 2012 6:23:36 AM PDT
Splinker says:
The writing in the opening chapters is fine and the story is interesting. There is a little too much tell instead of show, which accounts for the sense of attachment G.Faso referred to, I think.

Posted on Aug 11, 2012 6:17:20 AM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2012 9:02:38 AM PDT
Splinker says:
It's a genre that I'm not familiar with, so there may be some formula elements in there that fans appreciate.

Posted on Sep 10, 2012 3:57:03 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 10, 2012 4:24:56 AM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 10, 2012 10:33:32 AM PDT

Posted on Sep 13, 2012 6:10:00 AM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2012 8:45:59 AM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2012 10:10:19 AM PDT
A. Customer says:
I haven't Dv'd, because I generally don't - but could it be that both you and Faso are universally disliked, loathed across the forums in fact, and that any discussion about your books is seen as insult to injury?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2012 10:29:17 AM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2012 11:35:41 AM PDT
A. Customer says:
Quite possibly - you would have a hard time proving it though. besides why do you think it should be different for you? All the forums are net nannied to death by various factions. That old thread you found, where I said I was going? That whole thing was a prime example of one group of people policing another on what they thought was and wasn't acceptable posting behaviour. We've all been trolled, and have all been trolls. Nothing changes, it just cycles. Best get past it or stop posting if it bothers you.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2012 12:30:36 PM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2012 12:31:45 PM PDT

Posted on Sep 13, 2012 12:33:00 PM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2012 12:33:43 PM PDT
A. Customer says:
I don't have a problem with that - just because I'm not interested in his book doesn't mean others wont be.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2012 12:34:21 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 13, 2012 12:35:24 PM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2012 12:37:12 PM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2012 12:45:48 PM PDT
A. Customer says:
No, you just consistently fail to understand me, therefore it is easier for you to trash me than make the effort. I rarely have a real problem with any discussion - though kittens is disturbing!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2012 12:51:53 PM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2012 12:56:44 PM PDT
A. Customer says:
No contadiction Dougie, just a lack of evidence and a strong suspicion you are barking up the wrong group of people. The mafia word didn't help.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Fiction forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Meet other story lovers at Write On by Kindle
10 Mar 9, 2016
Announcement
Important announcement from Amazon
56 Jun 19, 2015
FBFM IV 1261 2 hours ago
Melange 875 2 hours ago
Poetic Thoughts 5765 6 days ago
What tactics will cause you to blacklist an author? 506 16 days ago
Best obscure books you have read 333 22 days ago
SHOULD STEPHEN KING BE AWARDED THE NOBEL PRIZE FOR LITERATURE? 107 22 days ago
Ann Cleeves books not available 8 26 days ago
Your favorite villains of Fiction 114 Mar 26, 2016
anyone else 1 Mar 14, 2016
A question about reviews 4 Feb 23, 2016

This discussion

Discussion in:  Fiction forum
Participants:  6
Total posts:  46
Initial post:  Aug 8, 2012
Latest post:  May 29, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions