Customer Discussions > Fiction forum

Looking for authors who don't use bad language or sex scenes

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 69 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 24, 2009 10:29:36 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Mar 17, 2010 4:21:13 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 25, 2009 7:54:58 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 25, 2009 7:55:39 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 25, 2009 10:36:40 PM PDT
Luv2Learn says:
Good for you! I'm with you on all those counts. I highly recommend Dee Henderson and Terri Blackstock. I enjoyed them but when my husband did too, I knew I'd made a real find.

Posted on Mar 26, 2009 2:23:45 AM PDT
TrishaLouise says:
Talk about a challenge!

Try Grace Livingston Hill, Lynn Kurland, Robin McKinley, L.M. Montgomery, Lori Wick, and Elsa Watson.....
These authors are considered "PG".

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 26, 2009 5:29:33 AM PDT
Hello Cece - you've pretty well described my historical romance The Pirate And The Puritan. Not a bodice ripper - rated Sweet. Read the reviews on Amazon and you'll get a good idea of the plot and characters.

Hope you get lots of recommendations.

Monya (aka Mary)

Posted on Mar 26, 2009 5:50:02 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Oct 29, 2011 10:22:41 AM PDT]

Posted on Mar 30, 2009 12:53:17 PM PDT
read The Book Thief by Marcus Zuzak...it's lovely

Posted on Mar 30, 2009 1:21:38 PM PDT
Sandy says:
Anything by Fannie Flagg

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 1, 2009 3:51:59 PM PDT
Hi Cece. You might try "My Blue Violets" by Sara Rose. It's a contemporary romance which takes place in Marietta, GA. The story focuses on two neighboring families and it involves a beloved, historic home The author's two favorite writers are Grace Livingston Hill and Jane Austen. I think you will enjoy it. Literary Lady

Posted on Apr 1, 2009 4:06:10 PM PDT
CarmenM says:
Try Nevil Shute, who wrote a score of lovely, intelligent books back in the 40s and 50s. His most well known are "On the Beach" and "A Town Like Alice." These are adult books with gentle, admirable characters, but not simplistic. No sex or obscenities.

Posted on Apr 1, 2009 9:02:20 PM PDT
Jeanne says:
I am hearing more and more people making requests like yours. People are getting really tired of the graphic sex, language and violence in so much of our media! I just don't find it necessary to my plots or my characters. My first novel, Toward the Horizon, is a "PG" historical fiction novel. It is based on the journey of the Hector, which is to Canada what the Mayflower is to America. It is an epic, with a lot of suspense and drama, but a lot of good humor and historical trivia thrown into the mix. Mainly it is about the ways the people overcame the hardships and tragedies and the ultimate triumphs of the Scottish immigrants. It can be slightly cumbersome in the beginning because it has a lot of Gaelic and period dialogue, but what the context does not reveal the Glossary in the back will.
Kind Regards and happy reading!
Jeanne

Posted on Apr 1, 2009 11:12:34 PM PDT
The Pipes Are Calling should fit the bill. It is a historical fantasy based on a true story that happened in 1875 for all age groups from teens to older adults, both men and women. There are reviews on Amazon or visit my website @ freewebs.com/lorettamurphy for more information.

Good luck in your search!

Loretta
The Pipes Are Calling
ISBN 142414826X

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 2, 2009 1:23:23 PM PDT
Hi, Cece,
I share your taste in novels. My debut novel, IN-SIGHT, has just won 2nd place in the Creative Arts Council 2009 Book Awards contest. I think (& hope) you'll enjoy it.

You can check it out via my website @ http://outskirtspress.com/insight. Also, it's available on Amazon.com in both paperback and Kindle versions. You can electronically "browse" the novel (to make sure it's not offensive to you) by using the amazon "look inside" feature. (By the way, this is a great way to check out any books before you buy them. It allows you to randomly read 2 or 3 pages at a time to get an idea of the writing. Amazon lets you to go back & "browse" multiple times before finally cutting you off--they won't let you read the whole book that way).

I won't go into a lot of detail here. You can check it out for yourself with the websites I mentioned.

Posted on Apr 2, 2009 6:07:01 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 2, 2009 6:14:21 PM PDT
Cuvtixo says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 3, 2009 11:21:49 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 3, 2009 11:23:29 AM PDT
Cece says:
First let me thank everyone for their suggestions. Please keep them coming.

I haven't been answering every post that's been left for me. I appreciate your ideas. Even though I am not interested in Christian authors, I have been respectful of everyone's views and preferences. This post by Cuvtixo, however, irritated me, so I am obligated to reply on behalf of myself and others like me.

Expressive? I actually laughed when I read that. People who use bad language as a practice are not expressive. They are ignorant and rude. They have no other vocabulary with which to express themselves except the crude and vulgar. Why do you think teenagers use profanity? Because they are still so immature that profanity is the only way they can express themselves and be cool. Are you still so immature that profanity is your only way to express yourself?

I was exposed to plenty of profanity in my life. I know every bad word and exactly how to use it, thank you very much. My father cursed constantly. Only when he finally "grew up" and learned some self-control did he learn better, more productive ways to express himself. That was when he became a true man. An intelligent man. When he started filling his mind with more productive things.

So, please take your political views elsewhere. That is not the purpose of my inquiry.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 4, 2009 5:02:08 AM PDT
rhondale says:

Posted on Apr 4, 2009 7:53:17 AM PDT
Ryan R says:
Personally, I think trying to avoid profanity altogether is silly and very limiting. Just like the world is full of happiness and joy, and sadness and violence, it has profanity and other things that make us feel uncomfortable sometimes. I agree that some forms of media, especially movies, can go overboard on gratuitous profanity...but many stories would not be complete or accurate or as moving without the reality of everyday speech and sometimes people use "bad" words to express themselves. You may not use profanity in your own life (and that is cool, and commendable!), but why limit yourself to only reading about people and characters that are just like you? I don't know...it just seems really limiting. You are missing out on many of life's great stories.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 4, 2009 8:39:33 PM PDT
I agree with you Cece. There are too many great words in the dictionary, so there's no need to use, or read, profanity.

Try Vino in Vo. I made it a point not to use profanity or (against my editor's wishes) sex scenes.
Vino in Vo follows three Army wives surviving their husbands' tour of Iraq. Along the way, the discover what is missing in their lives.

No, it's not just for those in the military. These characters struggle with a broad range of inner conflicts known to most of us. Please read more about it.
www.VinoInVo.com

Or Fannie Flagg.

Good luck!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 5, 2009 6:06:25 AM PDT
Jeanne and Cece - I have recently joined a new forum/yahoo group set up specifically for writers and readers of clean romance. It's called Classic Romance Revival. You need to affiliate if you wish to join, but that's quite easy. The address is: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/classicromancerevival/

There's also a new e-publishing firm called Desert Breeze who work on the same principles.

Best wishes,

Monya (aka Mary)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 5, 2009 6:32:50 AM PDT
Nano Wars fits exactly what you are looking for. It has virtually no bad language and is intentionally written in an easy read format well defining aspects and characters while at the same every sentence has pupose and not just to fill in space on a page. It is a new, fresh story written for a wide range of readers with its multiple cast of characters who are integral through out the whole story. This is the first in a series as well.

Posted on Apr 5, 2009 7:24:39 AM PDT
Okay. I've got a bunch for you. They're mostly comedic or historical or both, which is what I like. I don't read many books about "issues". Are you ready?

Jackaroo by Cynthia Voigt - Perhaps you've read her, she is YA. I really like her but can't remember all of her books well enough to recommend them. However this one was good.
Agatha Christie - Fairly obvious choice, maybe, but a great mystery writer.
P.G. Wodehouse - Hysterically funny author. Try "Carry On, Jeeves." It is British humor, so you have to be a fan of that.
Elizabeth Mansfield - Traditional Regency romance author with no sex or bad words. Try "The Frost Fair."
Madeleine Brent - Moonraker's Bride - set in China and England in the early 1900's (I think, can't remember exact time period) Other Brent books are excellent, also. All are set in some exotic locale and time period and include a love story. All are very clean. (There was one I didn't like, however, Heritage of Shadows. It was too upsetting to me b/c of what the heroine experienced. You might want to skip that one. The rest are great.)
Sophie Kinsella - I haven't read all of her books, but I have read the Shopaholic series and I believe Shopaholic Takes Manhattan was clean and had no bad language. She's also very funny.

And you could try my latest book, MR. MALCOLM'S LIST, if you have time after looking up all of the above. There is no bad language and no sex scenes. I don't like that kind of thing, either.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 5, 2009 8:11:15 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 5, 2009 8:12:43 AM PDT
CeCe, I just popped in to this forum because it caught my eye at the bottom of the fantasy forum. I usually hang out only there and in science fiction. I completely agree with you and your concerns are a frequent topic in fantasy especially when talking about urban fantasy.

Are you open to fantasy or science fiction as a genre? If so, please let me suggest Lois McMaster Bujold. She has a long running series in SF with intelligent, witty, complex characters with no sex or bad language at all and minimal violence. She also has two fantasy series set in different worlds. The Curse of Chalion and Paladin of Souls have a romance at their core (but they are independent books). This world has an interesting religious system which is important to the stories but they are not about religion. The Sharing Knife series also has a romance at the core but is about finding your place. Bujold writes wonderful complex people who use language as it should be used to express themselves.

Posted on Apr 5, 2009 8:40:42 AM PDT
Where in the world are you looking??????? I don't like lots of excessive profanity or violence, or frequent graphic sex and I don't have much trouble at all finding things to read. I like mysteries, science fiction and fantasy, as well as straight fiction. Spend time browsing(more than a few minutes) at the library or bookstore, not just online. For mysteries, try the cozy genre.
Some authors to look at are: Jan Karon, Dorothea Benton Frank, Jennifer Crusie, Lois McMaster Bujold, Madeleine L'Engle, Agatha Christie, Patricia Wentworth(miss Silver books, much like Miss Marple), Dorothy Sayers, Elizabeth Peter/Barbara Michaels, Ellis Peters, Elizabeth Goudge, Elizabeth Cadell, Mary Stewart, P. G. Wodehouse, Jane Austen, Charles Dickens, Dick Francis, Laura Childs, Ngaio Marsh, Monica Ferris, Valerie Wolzien, Tony Hillerman, Sharyn McCrumb, Lindsey Davis, Edmund Crispin, Donna Andrews, Dorothy Gilman, Martha Grimes, Charlotte MacLeod, Rita Mae Brown(the Mrs. Murphy mysteries), Lilian Jackson Braun, Patricia Wrede, Caroline Stevermer, Charles De Lint, Andre Norton, Katharine Kerr, Terry Pratchett, James Schmitz, Lloyd Biggle, James White(Sector Twelve General Hospital stories and novels), Katharine Kurtz. Zenna Henderson(Ingathering), Ray Bradbury, Rudyard Kipling, Sharon Lee & Steve Miller(co-authors of a series), Tamora Pierce, Mercedes Lackey.
Some of these might be easier to find at the library, maybe through interlibrary loan.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 5, 2009 5:45:51 PM PDT
I love writing for young people and you will never find a curse word in any of my books. I don't even use the four letter word for the bad, burning place, down under. My books are geared for the reader who lacks interest and as a teacher for many years, I put together many stories to encourage my students to read and the later, to understand what they read. Reading is a skill all by itself and reading to understand takes a little more. Most us us who have twenty or more years of education have had to read a lot of books, but most of us only read what it took to pass the exams. I hope I have taken my students past that. As a reader progresses through my latest five book series, they will form many opinions, arrive at conclusions and find out that they overlooked two or three other possibilities.

I try to encourge my readers and students to see what they read with their eyes but also with their mind and imagination at the same time. I am sure you can get enough information about my books by reading the information shown with each book on Amazon. If you think you might be interested, do an Amazon search using my name, Dr Robert E McGinnis, each of my books will have the word paradise in the title. A Beckoning From Paradise is the first one. Oh, by the way, the closest thing to human weakness is when Harry holds Monayya's hand for the first time in book three.

Posted on Apr 5, 2009 5:59:55 PM PDT
Here's my list (and I'm not going to try to make you feel good or bad about your desire to read whatever you want)
Out Stealing Horses by Per Petterson
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
Rebecca by Daphne du Marnier
Cannery Row by John Steinbeck
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society by Mary Ann Shaffer
Have fun and good luck
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Fiction forum (939 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Fiction forum
Participants:  62
Total posts:  69
Initial post:  Mar 24, 2009
Latest post:  10 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 9 customers

Search Customer Discussions