Safety Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Adele Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM
Customer Discussions > fighting games forum

Best fighting game ever made

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 47 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 22, 2012 5:28:41 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 22, 2012 8:43:48 PM PDT
AndrewA says:
My vote is for Super Smash Brothers Brawl. It had a great single player campaign, the fine-tuned stage fights, all the customization options you could ask for, and all the classic Nintendo characters.

Posted on May 23, 2012 10:26:30 AM PDT
B. Kelly says:
For me it is Street Fighter 2 in the arcades. Changed my arcade and gaming habits permanently.

Posted on May 25, 2012 12:57:29 PM PDT
T. Reed says:
I vote for def Jam's Fight for N.Y. Good story mode but an even better fighting engine with mulitple fighting styles to upgrade. Your fighter/rap star can easily end up with Jeet kun do, drunkin style, tai chi, or bad azz street fighting abilities. Great hip hop soundtrack and all the characters look great. This game should be remasterd for this gen systems.

Posted on May 26, 2012 1:56:27 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 26, 2012 1:57:25 AM PDT
Tiny says:
Primal Rage and Killer Instinct at second. There's no beating dinosaur's fighting Mortal Kombat Style. And Chaos was was a character in a class by himself. And the bowling and volley ball mini game was just icing on the cake.

Posted on May 30, 2012 3:07:47 AM PDT
Street Fighter 3: Third Strike. Although SSBB is pretty high up there. And the finishing moves for Fight for N.Y. are memorable.

Posted on May 30, 2012 4:40:26 AM PDT
Kin-foot says:
I vote Street Fighter 3: Third Strike as well.

Posted on May 30, 2012 5:26:54 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 30, 2012 5:28:39 PM PDT
Juju says:
I am going to say my vote as to Def Jam: Fight for NY being the Best Fighting Game for three reasons.. Story and customization was great for such an old game.. The fighting engine was great and one of a kind.. third because the music was great and the feel to it was just perfect... hmm sucks there will never be a sequel to it.. and I do not count "Def Jam: Icon" as one..

But when it comes to competitive fighting game I will Dead or Alive 3 and Tekken Tag Tournament.

Posted on May 30, 2012 5:56:55 PM PDT
Benpachi says:
Super Street Fighter II: Turbo

There hasn't been a 2D fighter that balanced since.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2012 12:05:46 AM PDT
AndrewA says:
The characters are what draw me to SSBB more than anything. Even after three games, it is still fun to smash Kirby with Link.

Posted on Jun 1, 2012 3:39:02 PM PDT
judoka209 says:
Street Fighter Alpha 3 no question about it. It has the absolute best character selection and the game was solid through and through. Everything that made SF what it was is in that game. I could do it without the V-ism though. But we never used it. 3rd Strike would be my number two but I hated the characters. If they would have used past fighters besides Ken, Ryu and Chun Li it would have been perfect in my opinion. Oh well.

Posted on Jun 7, 2012 5:55:26 PM PDT
For me it was Killer Instinct just breaking out those insane combos made the game loads of fun.

Posted on Jun 11, 2012 10:36:49 AM PDT
B. Kelly says:
Sounds like we need a studio to pick up KI and PR again! I'd play them. Around that time I played a lot of Time Killers in the arcades since that cabinet was next to the KI and PR ones. I could go for a new Time Killers as well, downloadable title with new art and at least half decent net code.

Posted on Jun 13, 2012 1:55:51 PM PDT
T. Reed says:
A quote from Redman on fight for NY, "I'm gonna rip your tounge out your mouth, and lick my azz with it!"

Posted on Jun 14, 2012 10:33:34 AM PDT
tom says:
Tekken 2

Posted on Jun 16, 2012 4:47:23 PM PDT
Tekken 3

Awesome roster, badass graphics and an innovative 3D attack and dodge combat system

Posted on Jun 19, 2012 1:53:42 PM PDT
Brawl is reeaaallly close, but my vote goes for Street Fighter 2

Posted on Jun 22, 2012 4:57:47 AM PDT
I love the genre, so therefore I loved every fighting game I have ever played and I have played lots. SF2:World Warrior, Champion Edition, SF2: Turbo, SSF2, SF Alpha 1, 2, 3, SF EX Plus Alpha, SF3 Third Strike, Tekken 1,2,3,4,5,6, TTT, MK1,2,3,4,DA, Deception, Armageddon, MK2011, Killer Instinct 1 and 2, X-Men Vs. SF, Marvel Vs. Capcom 1,2 and 3, Blazblue CS, Soul Calibur and SC4. Everyone has their own tastes, like beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so it can't really be determined which game is the best ever.

Posted on Jun 28, 2012 10:30:18 AM PDT
J Lamberg says:
Garou: Mark of the Wolves. Amazing game that didn't get enough love.

Posted on Jul 6, 2012 1:59:39 AM PDT
Ted Riggs says:
Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 on SNES

Posted on Jul 6, 2012 10:17:15 AM PDT
Soul Calibur 1 or 2.

Posted on Jul 12, 2012 1:58:07 PM PDT
Mortal Kombat 2
Primal Rage
Killer Instinct and Killer Instinct 64
Street Fighter 2 (with the new fighters)
Super Street Fighter IV
Mortal Kombat (9)
Godzilla:Destroy All Monsters, Save the Earth and Unleashed (the controls sucked on the wii though)
War of the Monsters
Soul Calibur 1,2,3,4
Tekken 2 and 3
Virtual Fighter 2 and 3

Posted on Jul 16, 2012 10:58:14 AM PDT
samuelvic says:
Are all these people serious gamers, or just random people talking about fighting games?
def jam? are u serious?
smash brothers????????? wtf!
people remember , that its important to take account of the mechanics, storyline, balance , roster, challenge level and creativity.

Serious fighting games people, come on! but still , its your opinion and I respect it .
now, coming from an fighting game old schooler like my self. A person who had is on video game tv show, and was the host of various fighting game tournament.

These are my top 4 fighting games of all time:

#4: Killer Instict: RARE, gave us this wonderul franchise , that inovated fighting mechanics by letting COMBOS be the main dish in a two round bout. (and the awsome soundtrack still makes me throw 1 or 2 steps :P.......and yes if you're a real gamer you'll dance to it)

#3: Mortal Kombat Trilogy (n64 and arcade versions): The best mortal kombat game ever, even better that todays remake of the franchise which is really good. MK gave it all in this release by offering the biggest roster, the best mechanics, and re-formulated combo mechanics to compete against Killer Instict Gold.

#2: Street Fighter Alpha 3: The best street fighter game to date, and in my opinion the last one that was worth my time and money. Really good and balanced roster, with the introduction of new and cool characters like karin. the fighting mechanics are so smooth that a full fight looks like it was choreographed for a movie fight scene. all that in a 2D plane. none of that 3D BS we have now.

#1: King of Fighters 98 Dreammatch: By far the best fighting game ever. An insanely enormous roster, of the toughest, coolest SOBs in the fighting genre. The most fluid and challenging fighting mechanincs, brutal outstanding finishers, that till this day still have no equal. Each character has their own style and background so well designed that make each one of them unique (not like other franchises where you have to choose between 5 to 10 clones of the same character, and the only diference between them is attire and hair color). Besides all that , KOF brings you the coolest final boss. A Armani suit wearing , multi billionaire terrorist and arms dealer known as Rugal Bernstein, with powers equal to a god. Outstanding artwork, each character is hand drawn, as well as backgrounds. the dedication into this SNK franchise is at another level.

Posted on Jul 19, 2012 4:23:25 AM PDT
C. poesch says:
mario

Posted on Jul 21, 2012 8:25:30 AM PDT
Alberto says:
Personally I will say Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus, amazing 2d hi-res sprites and of course the amazing soundtrack by metal maestro Dasuke Ishiwatari . This game was the fighting game that brought me back to fighting games because there was this time I use love fighting games but then came that time when all fighting games were now having the characters in 3d and fighting on a 3d plane and I hated those. Even one of my first and favorite fighting games mortal kombat had to suffer the consequences. Anyways Guilty Gear caught my eye because the game was a 2d fighter in the age of POPULAR fighting games being in 3D. So ever since guilty gear has always been my favorite.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 21, 2012 9:21:49 AM PDT
samuelvic says:
Awsome choice alberto!. Its a magnificent game indeed.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the fighting games forum (1 discussion)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Best fighting game ever made 46 Sep 9, 2012

This discussion

Discussion in:  fighting games forum
Participants:  32
Total posts:  47
Initial post:  May 22, 2012
Latest post:  Sep 9, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions