Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Sixx AM Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Grocery Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer starwars starwars starwars  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now SnS
Customer Discussions > Fitness forum

Online support for weight loss after menopause?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-23 of 23 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 14, 2012 5:39:03 PM PDT
Peregrinn says:
As a woman who has just gone through menopause, I find that my weight is higher than ever before. For my health and for my budget (since I don't want to spend money on a larger wardrove!), I am eager to lose weight - about thirty pounds. I think I would do better if I were part of an online support group where I could chat with others in a similar situation. Does anyone have any recommendations? Negative recommendations are welcome also, if you know of a group that you do not suggest for others. Thanks.
Your reply to Peregrinn's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

Posted on Apr 14, 2012 8:54:28 PM PDT
Tom's Mom says:
You might try sparkpeople dot com. They are an excellent website that covers just about anything to do with dieting. It has many different groups to join, so you should be able to find someone to chat with there. The best part is they are free. I really like tracking my food there because they break everything down by nutrition.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 15, 2012 12:10:26 AM PDT
Suze says:
I'm going through it now and am suffering with horrible symptoms. I haven't gained much weight though. What I did was to cut out 99% of sugar from my diet, avoid most processed foods, eat a lot of salads with oil and vinegar dressing, eat lean meats, chicken, etc. Also baked fish, salmon, etc.

Limit snacking to things like pretzels and microwave popcorn. Also I drink at least 4 - 6 Poland spring size water bottles a day.

I can't do much exercise due to extreme dizziness and off balance symptoms at this point in time. However at 5'4" i weigh 125 lbs (up from about 120 so I have gained some weight). However my cholesterol and b.p. are normal, fasting glucose was 89.

Cutting out sugar, soda is probably the best thing anyone could do along with eating a lot of veggies, salads, fruits, etc. I try to eat broccoli (steamed) 3 or 4 times a week, sometimes I grate some cheddar cheese on it and microwave till the cheese melts.

I have never really had to diet in my life, I used to be a chocoholic during that time of the month. I have now not eaten chocolate in months since my periods have ceased.

My diet right now is pretty boring, but I was never really that much into eating much anyway.

I also cook with olive oil and make my own dressing with olive oil and vinegar. i do put croutons, hormel bacon bits, feta cheese and garbanzo beans on my salad. I buy organic baby lettuce at Sam's club in a large container. You can eat as much as you want, it has practically no calories....

Stay away from things like bagels, cream cheese, white bread, processed carbohydrates, etc. Eat pasta sparingly.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 15, 2012 6:18:34 AM PDT
Peregrinn says:
Susie, it is good to hear your experience. I guess I am still "going through" menopause technically, but at six months since my last period, I am noticing some changes. So it is time for me to make some changes.

Unfortunately, my daughter just got back from a trip, and I bought a dozen bagels at her request without thinking. Now I must resist! I love bagels, and I hate seeing food go bad, so I probably need to find a way to get rid of some of these, before I eat them to avoid having them "go to waste." LOL. I just announced my diet to my family, and I plan to stick with it. No bagels for me!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 15, 2012 6:20:11 AM PDT
Peregrinn says:
Tom's Mom, someone else suggested SparkPeople.com, and I checked it out last night. You are right - it looks like just what I wanted! Thanks for mentioning it.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 15, 2012 1:58:14 PM PDT
Suze says:
Peregrinn: I am still going through it myself, LMP was in Nov. 2011 so it hasn't been a year yet. Also the last period was merely spotting for 3 days.

Since then, nothing.

I never minded getting a period, it beats this menopause experience hands down.

The whole experience has been a horror for me. I've been to a bunch of doctors for my symptoms. I thought I had M.S.

I was (and still am) dizzy and off balance when walking, etc.

Posted on Apr 15, 2012 2:04:16 PM PDT
Suze says:
My other suggestion for keeping weight down is to eat really slowly. I am a slow eater so I often get full before I can finish eating what's on my plate.

Make sure to chew your food thoroughly before swallowing.

I have noticed those who eat fastest are usually heavy. (My husband eats at least twice as fast as I do and he is slightly overweight).

You can also chew gum between meals (don't overdo it though, try to limit gum to 3 pieces a day, sugarless gum is bad for you it has artificial sugar in it).

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 15, 2012 2:13:39 PM PDT
Peregrinn says:
I am sorry to hear that you have had such bad symptoms. Other than the usual (annoying) night sweats and hot flashes, I have not had any trouble. In fact, for me, the hormones which fluctuated so much during menstruation caused such ups and downs in my moods and emotions that I am feeling more stable than I had in years. I am glad you are seeing doctors to sort your symptoms out. At least menopause will end, unlike MS.

You are right about eating slowly. I need to be sure to do that.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 15, 2012 7:35:10 PM PDT
Suze says:
Thanks for the kind words and good luck with your weight loss. Just remember that eating right is actually more important than doing tons of exercise, but exercise is also important for cardiac health.

the main thing is to cut out sugar (soda, cake, cookies, etc. are the worst) and you will probably drop weight like crazy. Stick to fruits, veggies and lean meats and fish and drink water.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 16, 2012 11:29:45 AM PDT
Amen! To me, menopause was a true blessing. I feel much better now. To think, I spent my entire youth bloated and moody!

I gained ten pounds during menopause that I can't get rid of. I'm not the support group type. Someone is always ready to hand out advice about what to eat, and I don't like that.

But I do keep active as much as I can. My husband monopolizes the treadmill, so I play Wii or do fitness DVDs. Also, I believe I'm gaining muscle because though I haven't lost weight, I have lost a size in clothing. But I did get bigger first. That translates to plus ten pounds, but the same clothing size before The Final Year Before the Glorious Transition.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 16, 2012 11:43:43 AM PDT
Peregrinn says:
I agree 100% that the weight matters less than the size. I would be HAPPY to gain muscle, not only because that would raise my metabolism rate, but because more muscle means more strength and allows me to do more. I have been trying to swim laps 3 times a week with my teenage daughter, about 2/3 of a mile and working up, but I have not committed to that schedule as well as I should yet. I feel stronger already.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 16, 2012 11:53:02 AM PDT
If you are feeling stronger, it will motivate you to continue. If you stop, you'll feel yucky and want to start again. That is my fitness advice in a nutshell :)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 16, 2012 12:18:15 PM PDT
Peregrinn says:
This is true! I had been swimming well in the winter, but between some minor surgery and a persistent cold, I had to stop for several weeks - and getting back into it agin is hard! So I definitely don't want to get out of the habit.

(My son is eighteen and has always been non-athletic and rather nerdy, so when he does exercise, it is hard for him. I wish he could start getting fit enough that he would feel the "high" that can go with physical activity. Maybe we can try to push him into an exercise routine this summer - but somehow I doubt it. Still, he is too young to be so sedentary!)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 17, 2012 10:55:06 AM PDT
He's not the only young 'un who's sedentary. Tell him to join the Armed Forces. They'll send him to boot camp, feed and clothe him, pay him, and help with college :)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 17, 2012 11:20:42 AM PDT
Peregrinn says:
I think he would be a miserable failure in the military! But he has a summer internship doing "combat support" for Northrop Grumman. I think he will be working on the computer systems that ensure the army has what it needs (or at least, as much of what they need as our government will provide). In any other military capacity, he could do more harm than good...

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 17, 2012 11:57:26 AM PDT
No Time for Sergeants LOL!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 17, 2012 12:00:22 PM PDT
Peregrinn says:
We oughta watch that one together!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 18, 2012 5:31:32 AM PDT
I first saw it in 1987. I had no idea it was going to be so funny.

Posted on Apr 21, 2012 10:47:06 AM PDT
You need to checkout--oops, can't provide link but you can email me if you are interested and I will send you the link! LetsEndTheTrend@yahoo.com (Promise, this is real and not spam!) It's an online community of people just like you and me! The range of members is some who have never worked out a day in their life to people in the health and fitness industry. You can join for free! Check out what's working for people and not working in the message boards. View info on health and nutrition. Again, it's free to join! You will have access to recipes, make friends throughout the country, and find articles on fitness, health & nutrition. We are trying to "End the Trend of Obesity!" We believe that Fitness + Nutrition + Support = SUCCESS!!!! We are there to help you succeed and achieve your health and fitness goals! Would love to have you come join! Doesn't matter if you are just getting started, wanna lose weight, tone up or just get healthier, we're here to help!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 21, 2012 10:48:11 AM PDT
You need to checkout--oops, can't provide link but you can email me if you are interested and I will send you the link! LetsEndTheTrend@yahoo.com (Promise, this is real and not spam!) It's an online community of people just like you and me! The range of members is some who have never worked out a day in their life to people in the health and fitness industry. You can join for free! Check out what's working for people and not working in the message boards. View info on health and nutrition. Again, it's free to join! You will have access to recipes, make friends throughout the country, and find articles on fitness, health & nutrition. We are trying to "End the Trend of Obesity!" We believe that Fitness + Nutrition + Support = SUCCESS!!!! We are there to help you succeed and achieve your health and fitness goals! Would love to have you come join! Doesn't matter if you are just getting started, wanna lose weight, tone up or just get healthier, we're here to help!!! Also if you're active duty military or spouse of one, you can start a business for free!!!! The fees are waived! Msg me for more info!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 21, 2012 10:49:19 AM PDT
You need to checkout--oops, can't provide link but you can email me if you are interested and I will send you the link! LetsEndTheTrend@yahoo.com (Promise, this is real and not spam!) It's an online community of people just like you and me! The range of members is some who have never worked out a day in their life to people in the health and fitness industry. You can join for free! Check out what's working for people and not working in the message boards. View info on health and nutrition. Again, it's free to join! You will have access to recipes, make friends throughout the country, and find articles on fitness, health & nutrition. We are trying to "End the Trend of Obesity!" We believe that Fitness + Nutrition + Support = SUCCESS!!!! We are there to help you succeed and achieve your health and fitness goals! Would love to have you come join! Doesn't matter if you are just getting started, wanna lose weight, tone up or just get healthier, we're here to help!!!

Posted on Sep 10, 2015 7:30:02 PM PDT
Eva Lee says:
Most women don't want to hear this, but to maintain a healthy weight and body as we age, we must eliminate most of junk that many of us eat and we need to exercise. Sugar and flour are two of the biggest offenders - and they are everywhere. That slice of whole grain bread, that healthy bran muffin or our favorite fruit yogurt are no good for you.

Over the years my weight fluctuated somewhat but I was always able to drop the extra pounds easily. However, when I turned 50 and menopause hit, I really struggled to lose weight. I decided to try the Paleo diet on a friend's recommendation. Within two weeks my clothes were looser, I had more energy and my mental focus was sharper. Needless to say I was encouraged to keep going but found the menu choices were limited with 2 kids still at home and working full-time. The Paleo Cookbook http://bit.ly/1F00TQH was a great way to transition into a healthier diet. It is full of a variety of recipes that my family enjoys and has made it easy to stick with this new life style. This diet has also helped my 17-year old daughter who suffers from depression. Getting all the processed junk out of our diet has been life changing. Upafter10.com is a good resource for anyone who wants to learn about the science behind diet and depression. I try and incorporate as many organic fruits and veggies as possible and stick to organic and grass fed meats. The benefits for our bodies and our planet far outweigh the cost. Forget diets, change your lifestyle.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2015 7:28:06 AM PST
I was given a weight loss product by a caring friend, yet I sort of scoffed because it said it was a weight loss coffee. But look at what happened in only 3 months. https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-FaK8NWCGSBQ/VjzEyh7553I/AAAAAAAAB08/Xan_YhjroAE/w426-h594/2beforafter.jpg Sorry for the long URL be that's my google page. I guess you could google Pat Hamer and get my page. Also www.pathamer.com has a link to the coffee at that bottom. Good luck!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Fitness forum (169 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Fitness forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  23
Initial post:  Apr 14, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 6, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions