Customer Discussions > Flat-panel LCD TVs forum

Can I ship my LCD flat TV to India ? ? ?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-21 of 21 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 20, 2008 5:42:58 PM PDT
Hi,

I bght a Samsung LCD flat TV here in U.S a month ago and now I'm returning back to India for personal reasons. I liked the TV very much wanted to take back it to India. Can I take it back if yes how. wat would be cheapest & easiest way to do. Pls help me in this regard.

Thanks in Advance.

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2008 10:20:27 PM PDT
you can take it with u on the plane. Check with your airline, some let you take big boxes with u, some dont. Good luck!

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2008 9:03:19 AM PDT
M. Hunt says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2008 11:09:56 AM PDT
mrbrown says:
i have had a similar experience with shipping a tv. i didnt ship one to india, but to namibia, which is in south west africa. i was fortunate enough to still have the original box and packaging. i shipped it using fedex and the bill was about 500 USD. that was at their slowest speed, which only took a week.
the tv arrived with no damage and was not opened.
good luck in shipping and your travels.
concerning taking the item on a plane. most airlines will charge you a lot of money to put overweight items on the plane. plus the item may be damaged if not in original packaging.

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2008 3:09:09 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 23, 2008 3:11:22 PM PDT
C. Mehta says:
Some caveats you may want to consider:

1. To my knowledge, India does not have HD broadcast, and perhaps not even digital. You may want to verify this in the city you are moving to. If this is true, then your TV must support analog broadcast/cable to work.

2. TV's in India use PAL format; US TVs use NTSC format. Make sure the TV you have supports both formats.

3. You can buy flat panel TVs in India -- Sony, Samsung, as other brands.

4. Factor in the cost of freight + customs duty and then see if it is worth it. You may be better off selling it here and buying a new one over there.

Hope this helps.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2008 9:51:23 AM PDT
Srikar Vanka says:
Hi Prem,
I'm also planning to take 50inch TV to india. Its Panasonic and supports both PAL and NTSC. Can you please advice me whether to take it with me in flight or not.

Thanks
Sri

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2008 2:40:40 PM PDT
Hi Sri,

It is better you take the TV along with you. You can checkin the TV with you as an additional luggae/in replace of one luggae. Talk to your airline and sort it out. Can you let me know the TV details (model number, store etc.. ) that you hv bght ?

Thanks,
Prem

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 10, 2008 9:21:15 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 13, 2008 6:32:30 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 12, 2008 5:51:06 AM PDT
Zack says:
When was the last time you visited India? The number of choices you have are mind blowing and very competitevely priced, not to mention free service support and in house installation. Seriously, I would think it is better to sell yours here and buy a new one in India. You get models customized to Indian broadcast standards and you don't have to wonder if it'll work or not.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2008 1:19:57 AM PDT
Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 1, 2008 7:43:29 PM PDT
Hello Sri,

Did you take the tv along with you ? Which airline you traveled in ? You had insured your tv while travelling ?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 1, 2008 7:44:41 PM PDT
Prem,

Did you take the tv along with you ? Which airline you traveled in ? You had insured your tv while travelling ?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2008 12:18:45 PM PDT
dv says:
This may be of interest: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATSC In this article on "ATSC standards" in wikipedia, under the title 'other systems' is this line:

""Because of potential use outside of existing NTSC areas, the ATSC system includes the capability to carry PAL and SECAM formatted video (576 displayable lines, 50 fields or 25 frames per second) along with NTSC (486 displayable lines, 60 x 1000/1001 fields or 30 x 1000/1001 frames per second) and film (24 frames per second)."""

I may be wrong, but my interpretation is that current HDTV ready TVs/monitors, that have an ATSC tuner built-in, should be able to receive and display a PAL signal. To rewrite this line, a TV bought in the USA that is HDTV ready with an ATSC tuner built-in should work in India or any other country with PAL/SECAM TV system provided that AC voltage (110v/60 Hz in the USA and 220v/50Hz outisde) on TV is available.

I have never tested this hypothesis, but it opens a possibility. Are there any takers?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 28, 2008 4:14:27 PM PDT
AstraCastor says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2008 2:25:11 AM PST
Hi Sri,
Can you please share from where did you buy your mutli system Panasonic TV?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2008 7:35:28 PM PST
Rajat Singh says:
Hi...

I was in India last month and bought a 40'' Sony Bravia for Rs.72000 around Diwali. the benefit of buying one from the US is the price of course as during a blowout sale or something like black friday you could get the same tv for something like $600-$700.

I dont know the technicalities as such but what dv says sounds right to me....India has digital tv through TATA SKY and AIRTEL and there are a couple more coming up....HDTV doesnt seem to be comin very soon but I don't think thats the issue right now...

I would suggest that anyone who wishes to take their TV back with them should ask the airline. In my opinion shipping it off via fedex or UPS would not be useful as the amount they charge would be ridiculous. If the TV is considered as an extra piece of luggage it might not be very expensive to bring it along in the plane...the only issue that remains is Customs...

I wish there was some place that would clearly state custom rules to make things simpler....as far as I know electronic items worth Rs20,000 are exept from customs (and you need the bill/invoice etc to prove the value of the merchandise to the customs official)...Its not very likely that one would be able to get a TV for less than that...So it would help to figure this out before going for the whole idea...

If someone ever figures out the customs issue then please post it here...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2008 7:46:57 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 15, 2008 7:47:08 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2008 12:46:25 PM PST
V. Ghai says:
Hello,
Being a travel agent I recommend you to contact the respective airlines they do allow to take TV along, make sure you wrap it in thick bubble paper available from Home Depot or any hardware store. If you send it by sea then there s lot of paperwork invloved in that which you might not want to fulfill, but the cheapest mode is take it along.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2009 10:59:27 AM PST
Manoj Aluri says:
what do u mean they have tv's in India you idiot!!!!

You are talking about the next economic superpower

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 9, 2009 6:20:15 PM PDT
Sri Sri says:
I totally disagree that things are competively priced. For example an LCD tv thats 52 inches here is around $1500-1700 USD, whereas in India that same TV coasts over $5000!!!! It's typical for the Indian government to have these high excise duties to discourage the importation of these sets since they are classified as "Luxury Items". You will find the best price on the 26-32 Inch but even those are 50 percent higher than in the USA.

Also in India there is rampant price fixing, all sellers collude to fix a price and you can't every find a "deal" like you can in the USA.

Posted on Oct 8, 2013 8:23:15 PM PDT
ekta says:
we checked with airline and they said u can have it as a check in item but check the dimentions with your airline. YOu call their customer care and they are pretty good in explaining it . I want to know if TV bought here works in india too or not.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Flat-panel LCD TVs forum (110 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Flat-panel LCD TVs forum
Participants:  20
Total posts:  21
Initial post:  May 20, 2008
Latest post:  Oct 8, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions