Customer Discussions > foreign language books forum

What about English to other languages?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-11 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 18, 2011 8:16:04 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 18, 2011 8:17:21 AM PST
Are there any plans (or things in existence) to translate English books into other common languages?

I'd like to nominate my book for 2011 SEO tips, Get On Google Front Page
Your reply to Jason Matthews's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2011 7:52:26 AM PDT
R. Cook says:
I'd like to second the idea of translating books FROM English to other languages as part of the system. If it's not already in the plans for future updates, I am formally requesting that it be added.

Thanks,

Posted on Jun 24, 2011 3:24:48 AM PDT
Miss Byrne says:
I am trying to learn Polish. Does anyone know if there is a dictionary with a cd-rom (for Polish pronunciation) similar to the Cambridge Learner's Dictionary with cd rom for English pronunciation.

Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2011 1:03:31 PM PDT
Eddgwrahcrdsgdyryt

Posted on Aug 25, 2011 9:54:56 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 25, 2011 9:55:09 PM PDT]

Posted on Aug 25, 2011 9:55:40 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Sep 13, 2011 5:08:01 AM PDT]

Posted on Sep 13, 2011 5:08:14 AM PDT
AK Denyl says:
If you're looking to learn French, for example:
These Animals... Don't Want to Wash! (Bilingual English-French) (The Book of The Animals)
These Animals... Don't Want to Eat! (Bilingual English-French) (The Book of The Animals)
These Animals... Don't Want to Sleep! (Bilingual English-French) (The Book of The Animals)
These Animals... Don't Want to Go to School! (Bilingual English-French) (The Book of The Animals)
Visit the official website to know more about the series and the different languages available: http://www.TheBookOfTheAnimals.com
Happy Little Luka - My Best Friend, Shiro (Bilingual English-French) (Happy Little Luka (Bilingual English-French))
Happy Little Luka - I Love Singing! (Bilingual English-French) (Happy Little Luka (Bilingual English-French))
Visit the official website to know more about the series and the different languages available: http://www.HappyLittleLuka.com
Mely & Bela - Episode 1. Can't judge a monster by his hat! (Bilingual English-French) (Mely & Bela in the Kingdom of the Blue Strawberries)
Visit the official website to know more about the series and the different languages available: http://www.MelyAndBela.com

Posted on Oct 28, 2011 9:38:12 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 28, 2011 9:43:13 AM PDT
C. Higgins says:
Topic: Translations from English into other common languages.

The way things work: The author and his/her agent (and the publisher in the English speaking country) must first sell the rights to a publisher in the target-language country interested enough to commission a translator to translate the work. The translation process is not initiated by the publisher who owns the rights, but by the publisher who buys the rights. This being said, with the way things are evolving, an author who owns the rights can work directly with a translator he/she trusts (anywhere in the world) with a plan to publish together (the author keeping the rights to his original text, the translator having the copyright to the translation). Then it is a matter of finding a way to publish, directly online or through a publisher... takes time, pays poorly, a thankless process unless there is a real teamwork and respect between author and translator (including recognition and fairness on both sides, no room for shameless greed here). Those things happen (they do!) when all parties involved share the same priority: sharing a meaningful text with others (for whatever reason--philosophical, esthetic, both...), not striking gold. Looks like the Internet may help generalize the process; the main sticking issue is promoting the work so readers find it in the current ocean of publications... 55% of the proceeds go to the book seller (online or brick and mortar type), or so I am told.
Public domain authors don't require buying rights. The visibility issue remains. Good luck with your plans!

Posted on Dec 16, 2011 2:40:38 AM PST
I have two eBooks that can be downloaded to either a computer or kindle. They both include a German, American English and a UK English version of the stories, with internal links for you to make the language of choice. I am currently working on translating another story to Brazil Portuguese.

The problem is cost. Translation doesn't come cheap. These stories are ideal if you are learning German or English.

(The End or a New Dawn) Das Ende, oder ein neuer Anfang (Eine Kurzgeschichte.) (Eine deutsche und zwei englische Versionen in einem E-Buch zusammengefasst.) (German Edition)

(The Enemy Within)Der Feind im Innern (Eine Kurzgeschichte.) (Eine deutsche und zwei englische Versionen in einem E-Buch zusammengefasst.) (German Edition)

Posted on Apr 21, 2012 6:57:07 AM PDT
I've just downloaded this Portuguese story than has Português and 2 versions in American and UK English in the one ebook.

O Mistério do Roupão Vermelho (Conto) (Português edition) com Americano e Reino Unido Inglês disponíveis em um eBook)

In reply to an earlier post on May 9, 2012 8:25:57 AM PDT
Vadim@Amazon says:
I would recommend a family of dictionaries: ling.pl, Marriam Webster Dictionary,onet.pl, Fabrykasłów.pl. Have a nice day!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the foreign language books forum (61 discussions)

This discussion

Participants:  8
Total posts:  11
Initial post:  Feb 18, 2011
Latest post:  May 9, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions