Customer Discussions > foreign language books forum

Has anyone from the US ordered from amazon.de?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 80 posts in this discussion
Posted on Mar 16, 2012 1:02:40 AM PDT
I order from Amazon.de, Amazon.uk, Amazon.fr........happy with all of them!

Posted on Mar 26, 2012 12:18:35 AM PDT
Sherry339 says:
While in Germany in '92 for the first and probably last time, I bought some wonderful local salt called Bad Reichenhaller Krauter Jod Salz. Just finished the last of it and the ONLY place I can find it is on the Amazon.de. The salt is only 4.49 Euros but the shipping is 30 Euros so would be almost $46. The whole thing, description and cart and ordering process is in German so I don't know if I am doing it right. From the comments, it looks like you have to buy the Amazon.de prime separately from our regular Amazon prime. Id there any way to see this site3 in english? Thanks for any advice. It's all good! :-D

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2012 6:30:01 PM PDT
you may want to check with MERZ Drugstore online. They do carry many german products.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2012 6:45:00 PM PDT
Sherry339 says:
Thank you ever so much! I'll try it. :-D

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2012 11:18:28 PM PDT
xpat says:
odd: my username on amazon.de gets kicked back as being registered on amazon us - any suggestions?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 1, 2012 8:27:44 AM PDT
Yes, they are one and the same in many ways.
If you change the country temporarily to Germany, then it will work- however you need to have someone's address in Germany.
Amazon.de will not contact them., but it would be good to ask your friend or family first.
Use your current email.
Let me know, if you succeed.
Once you are finished ordering, do not forget to change country back to the USA.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 9, 2012 9:46:17 PM PDT
How do you find the German books on amazon.com? I only find a fee when I search for a specific title. I have ordered from amazon.de many times. It can take a couple months and not all will ship to US but way to go if you prefer hard copy or CD's for your Hoerbuecher.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 10, 2012 7:13:22 AM PDT
Johanna says:
When I find a title in German, possibly on the Amazon.de site, I take the title of the book, and bring it over to Amazon.com, and search for that title on Amazon.com.

If the book appears on Amazon.com, it's often offered as a "new" book, and from whatever publishers sell books through Amazon.com. Sometimes, the books appear on the "used" list, often as "New", or "good", etc...

After you search for German language books on Amazon.com, the search engines will start bringing up other "similar" titles for other German language books.

Posted on Apr 10, 2012 3:39:35 PM PDT
What does DIVA mean with her question, preytell? You search the German title the same way you search an American title by putting author, title or ISBN into the resp. search fields. Of course, many titles you find on amazon.de, you won't find on http://amazon.com, for obvious reasons (.de is geared to German language countries, .com to english). Those German titles you do find on .com, are usually several times more expensive than on .de

Posted on Apr 17, 2012 1:38:18 PM PDT
I have ordered from amazon.de many times, it costs more due to Euro-Dollar exchange but it works ok. Jörg Erichsen

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 17, 2012 1:51:09 PM PDT
yes, but if you order from amazon.deKindle books- you save a whole lot.

Posted on Apr 17, 2012 6:04:43 PM PDT
I have ordered form the German Amazon and had it delivered to my US address several times. For books it works great, never ran into issues with customs. I also had books delivered to my parents in Holland which meant no shipping fee. Another option I like to use is the book depository, just enter those two words in google. It's a UK site which doesn't charge for shipping (also has a lot of German books), however it can take up to 3 weeks before you get your books with them.

Posted on Apr 17, 2012 8:22:56 PM PDT
Dan says:
I have also purchased from both sites (.com and .de). Normally, books are cheaper (price plus shipping) on the .com site, but the .de site obviously has more selection of German books. For German books, I always check the .com site first because shipping US-US is cheaper than DE-US.

Posted on Apr 18, 2012 9:23:59 AM PDT
I would also (again) strongly recommend the Book Depository. Always free shipping and they are owned by Amazon.
Scroll all the way to the bottom of this page and you'll see them.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012 3:43:52 PM PDT
D says:
I have ordered from Germany's Amazon and it is very easy. The cost for shipping is negligable considering you are receiving a book you cannot obtain here.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012 3:46:10 PM PDT
D says:
Sounds like a good plan. Just remember the exchange rate isn't in our ( U.S.) favor.

Posted on Apr 25, 2012 8:10:03 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 25, 2012 8:16:55 PM PDT
Paganini says:
Yes, I've done it a number of times. Obviously I only order items unavailable here. I guess the prices are higher (hard to compare if it's something not available here), and of course the shipping is expensive and takes longer, but other than that it's just like ordering from Amazon.com. Two observations -- I find that a lot of their third-party vendors do not ship to the US, which can be frustrating. Also, I have found this particularly with CDs, it's not inconceivable that you can find a European CD cheaper there, or one that you can't find here at all.

Posted on May 2, 2012 11:12:33 AM PDT
Gary Wilkins says:
I have ordered from Amazon.de before (since I like real copy, not electronic delivery), and while living in Japan I used to order German books from Mail Order Kaiser (MOK)--there was no Amazon.de back then. With Amazon.de, payment is simple and your American CC is acceptable, since your Amazon account with entered CC information in the U.S. remains equally viable in Deutschland. I do NOT advise using a debit credit (i.e., Mastercard/Visa, but debit) card to place an international order (or even a domestic order), because there is far less account protection for debit card fraud should hackers ever break into an Amazon server.
With Mail Order Kaiser, my purchases (5 -8 books per order) were made every few months back in the 90's and required me to get international wire transfers at a Japanese bank--very time consuming! Nowadays, MOK is online and easily accessible, just like Amazon.com/Amazon.de. The point is, I have never had to pay any customs fee on a BOOK order (can't say if you order other things), whether in Japan, or in the U.S.
Cost: The Euro price is the Euro price, and there's no getting around it; and, shipping is just something you have to be willing to cough up--but the expense is not exorbitant, in my opinion.
Also, as someone mentioned, Amazon.com sometimes offers German editions, but the chances are haphazard --if you're lucky, you might find the book you want; if not, you won't. I ordered a hardcover edition of "Der Splitter im Auge Gottes" (The Mote in God's Eye --Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle) from Amazon.com (lucked out with that one). Hope this is of some help.
Your reply to Gary Wilkins's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

Posted on May 2, 2012 8:36:48 PM PDT
For older books try finding them via the Kindle store. Some may be even free.

Posted on May 5, 2012 8:00:55 PM PDT
luke800 says:
Hi, I'm having a problem. Every time i try to order something from amazon.de its telling me that they can't send it to my address (I live in the USA). It looks like everybody else in here has no problems with that but for some reason it keeps telling me that it cant send books, or movies to my address. Whats going on and how do I fix this? Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2012 7:35:45 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 6, 2012 7:41:21 AM PDT
Herfjötur says:
How are you trying to pay for stuff? I assume that you are not using Discover card (not used in Europe). Another reason could be that the item you are trying to order exist on http://amazon.com, that sometimes precludes an order. Also, you cannot easily order digital content, if your account is registered in the US, though there are workarounds.

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2012 9:28:33 AM PDT
luke800 says:
Thanks for the reply Ina. I'm trying to pay for it with a VISA debit card. It seems to work fine in the US, and sometimes it did work with those other sites but now it seems like it doesn't at all. What are the workarounds?

Posted on May 6, 2012 10:39:48 AM PDT
Herfjötur says:
Umh...do you have an amazon.de or .fr or whatever account? That is the first step, set up an account on the website you want to use. If you are trying to order digital content...streaming movies, mp3, kindle content, and you are registered as living in the US, it won't work. Find an address as delivery address in Germany, switch your kindle to the German site, and you can order. Please make sure that you use that only for digital content.
If you want to order tangible goods, you sill need an amazon.de account, but your delivery address is obviously your US address.
As far as payment is concerned, the debit card system in Germany is a bit different from here. Register your card as a credit card with your German account, and ensure that you do not choose "Auf Rechnung kaufen" or whatever it is called...that most certainly won't work.
Hope that helps, I wll monitor the thread to see what happens. Good luck!

Posted on May 10, 2012 7:00:52 PM PDT
It works very well. I often order for my mother and it arrives faster than in the us

Posted on Jun 9, 2012 5:42:07 PM PDT
Farmgal699 says:
So just to clarify, is it possible to order from the European Amazon site and have the books or DVDs shipped to a US address? I have heard that the European Amazon sites will not ship to the US because of customs regularions and region locks...
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the foreign language books forum (61 discussions)

Thank you for your support of Amazon Discussion Forums. Due to the changing needs of Amazon Forums, we have decided to stop supporting the ‘Active discussions in related forums’ feature in order to focus on providing the most value for our customers.  

This discussion

Participants:  49
Total posts:  80
Initial post:  Dec 17, 2011
Latest post:  Jul 19, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 13 customers

Search Customer Discussions