Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Grocery Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer starwars starwars starwars  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now SnS
Customer Discussions > foreign language books forum

What books should be translated into English?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 126-150 of 275 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2011 8:10:06 AM PST
Sami Hero says:
La bibliothecaire...great book for teenagers and young readers 4-8 th grade

Posted on Mar 6, 2011 5:38:42 PM PST
I would love to get a copy of Senta Berger's autobiography transalated into english. Is this possible? Anyone?
Senta Berger. Mit Charme und Power.

Posted on Mar 16, 2011 9:57:53 PM PDT
"Oorlog zonder vrienden" (War without friends) - Evert Hartman - Dutch (The Netherlands), originally published in 1979. It's a children's/young adult book about WWII, the main character is a teenager who is the son of a Nazi sympathizer, and over the course of WWII he finds out that the Nazis aren't the nice guys he thought they were. I read it when I was 9yo (I'm 26yo now), but it's intended for 13+yo or so (it was the only Y/A book the children's librarian wouldn't let me check out without my mom's consent). I thought it was great because it gives a different perspective, and is a good warning to people to not believe what you're told.

Other books by Evert Hartman are good too, btw, and books by Thea Beckman as well - it's just that I was checking to see if there was a translation of this book (there isn't) when I saw this discussion thread.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 18, 2011 8:07:46 PM PDT
Moi Bahia, la miraculé book!!!

Posted on Mar 19, 2011 12:02:59 PM PDT
Ann Dunne says:
Novels of Greek writer M Karagatsis such as The Lost Island and The Yellow Envelope were apparenetly translated years ago but are out of print. I've always thought his Junkerman (Γιούγκ^9;ρμαν) would appleal more to a non Greek audience... each of his works is touching, witty and memorable in a differnt way and have enduring appeal. "10" was recently made into a (mediocre) TV serial.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2011 8:50:45 AM PDT
It seems to be in English now, in Amazon.com.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2011 10:25:43 AM PDT
Congratulations! It appears this is indeed to be published in the USA auf Englisch!! The date given is May 10, 2011 and I look forward to recommending it to my own teen-age students. Thanks for the wonderful suggestion and the tip for a great read!

Posted on Mar 27, 2011 1:00:33 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 27, 2011 1:01:54 PM PDT
Nina Eg says:
I will highly recommend the manga series by Hirotaka Kisaragi called Brother X Brother.
It's a yaoi, but the art is beautiful and the story is so great! I have read it in English online, but I really want to own it. The problem is that you can only buy it in German....! Nobody have published the manga in English and I really don't get it...
So please translate it into English - It deserves to be read!
Brother x Brother 02

Posted on Mar 30, 2011 7:55:52 AM PDT
xxmimixx says:
People might not agree with me, but I really want to see FIVE by Shiori Furukawa translated into English. Right now, it's licensed in French, Spanish, and Chinese. It's a good Shoujo Manga series and I think it could sell well.

http://www.amazon.fr/Five-1-Shiori-Furukawa/dp/250500546X/ref=sr_1_7?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1301496900&sr=1-7

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2011 11:32:24 PM PDT
Dragondog says:
Any book by Cécile Aubry.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 1, 2011 2:32:03 AM PDT
greg says:
The Six Shots of Philadelphia (Die Sechs Schusse von Philadelphia) by Ulrich Scheel is one of the best graphic novels I've read in recent years. Its perfectly ripe for english translation and is highly original. A great book only to be found in Germany or France: http://www.avant-verlag.de/index.php?b=avant

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 4, 2011 1:07:28 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 4, 2011 1:11:36 PM PDT
nicky says:
I translated this (Kessel's Les armes de la nuit) as my MFA thesis several years ago! It's an astonishing book, depicting the psychological aftermath of a prisoner's return from the concentration camps in 1946. Have been thinking about trying to get it published of late.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 5, 2011 1:06:52 AM PDT
ACEMAN says:
Marylene Patou-Mathis, Neanderthal Une autre humanite, should be translated into English as it is a very scientific book on the recent research on Neanderthals and a call for understanding of a link with modern mankinds past.
ACEMAN

Posted on Apr 5, 2011 1:12:51 AM PDT
ACEMAN says:
Marylene Patou-Mathis, Neanderthat Une autre Humanite (in French) should be translated into English. It is about the current scientific research on the image as well as the contribution of the forerunner to mankind. A beautifull book inFrench and a real plea for tolerance of a race of people that were extinguished from the long line of human evolution.
ACEMAN

Posted on Apr 5, 2011 3:25:53 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 3, 2011 7:21:45 AM PDT
A comprehensive reference to have acces to the meaninig of dreams: Contribution à la Clinique du Rêve (by K. MOVALLALI) should be translated to English because of its new way to penetrate the universe of the Unconscious in its Freudian rigourous sens.Contribution à la clinique du rêve (French Edition)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 5, 2011 9:55:42 AM PDT
I-FAN CHEN says:
HI,
I strongly recommend Tommy Jaud's for ur reference.
His books have been rated great in Taiwan and I'm also looking forward the English version. Thanks.

Best regards,
Yvonne

Posted on Apr 7, 2011 12:38:02 AM PDT
Ms Sue Dodd says:
Diedrich Diederichsen's writings such as SexbeatSexbeat., Eigenblutdoping,Eigenblutdoping. Künstlerromantik und Selbstverwertung: Selbstverwertung, Künstlerromantik, Partizipation Musiksimmer need translating into English as they are developing into key critical theory texts for visual art, art criticism, cultural studies, media studies, etc.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 8, 2011 12:10:09 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 8, 2011 12:18:09 PM PDT
Janaki says:
First and foremost - the historical novels by Rebecca Gablé! (look at your Amazon.de-pages to find her books) Their books are real pageturners; and she writes (in my humble opinion, at least) as good as Ken Follett - no, scratch that - she writes better! :D
Second - the novels by Andreas Eschbach! (look at your Amazon.de-pages, too). One of his SciFi-novels (Die Haarteppichknüpfer) is already translated - English title is "The Carpetmakers", and it is strongly recommended of the great Orson Scott Card itself! Any of his other books would be worth translating, too ...

Posted on Apr 10, 2011 8:14:57 AM PDT
Der leiseste Verdacht. This one, by Helena Brink, is originally in Swedish, but I would like to read it in a good English translation, since the German one (if the GT translated reviews from Sweden are anything to go by) did not make it justice. It's a crime story set in the south of Sweden, but for once it's not Wallander doing the sleuthing:)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 11, 2011 5:49:45 AM PDT
Hamsun Lad says:
I would recommend anything by German author Klaus Kordon be translated into English. In particular Juliens Bruder which is a marvellous story.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 11, 2011 3:24:47 PM PDT
ELES ERAM MUITOS CAVALOS (EDICAO DE BOLSO)

Original language: Portuguese

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 13, 2011 1:24:49 PM PDT
Les 7 Sages, from Stephane Rodriguez

Les 7 Sages (French Edition)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 13, 2011 5:12:26 PM PDT
Canon & Fuga by Jeroen Berkhout. www.arbeiderspers.nl www.canonenfuga.nl

Posted on Apr 17, 2011 6:49:10 PM PDT
A. tonelli says:
Les cerfs-volants by Romain Gary!

Posted on Apr 23, 2011 8:29:18 AM PDT
Metal Men of Gandahar by Jean-Pierre Andrevon from the French. I think it is located here: Gandahar by Jean-Pierre Andrevon
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the foreign language books forum (61 discussions)

This discussion

Participants:  218
Total posts:  275
Initial post:  Jul 2, 2010
Latest post:  Sep 30, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 50 customers

Search Customer Discussions