Customer Discussions > foreign language books forum

Has anyone from the US ordered from amazon.de?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 80 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 17, 2011 7:03:27 PM PST
I'm just curious if it's complicated at all, or just pricey. International shipping can't be cheap.

Posted on Dec 18, 2011 6:55:32 AM PST
Riann says:
I have - several times.
It's not all THAT pricey, the service is good, it just takes a little longer.
Take a look at the sellers reputation, most are very reliable.
I've never had a problem and it's covered like all the other items on Amazon.

Posted on Dec 18, 2011 2:45:26 PM PST
I'd just be doing the main Amazon add to cart thing. I was mostly concerned about customs, if I had to arrange something, since the customs website said fees could exceed the price of the the package. If the process is just putting in an order, waiting so many weeks, and getting a package at home, that's cool.

Posted on Dec 18, 2011 6:47:08 PM PST
Scooter says:
I've done it many times without problems for books I can't get in the U.S. but a seller is selling in Germany. The only downside is it's priced in Euros, so it'll be a little more, and there is a 20 Euro shipping charge. I, therefore, only use it sparingly.

Posted on Dec 19, 2011 2:15:31 AM PST
I ordered several books, CDs and DVDs from the German and British Amazon without any problem or custom. Your user name/password is good for any Amazon site. Shipping from England is generally the least expensive from Europe so that is my first choice.

Posted on Dec 19, 2011 2:10:13 PM PST
Dialdancer says:
I order from several Amazon sites for shipping to the USA and sent to a family member in Germany. It is usually no problem it pays to check whether the item is restricted in a particular county. It is preferable to use Amazon direct rather than a Merchant unless they show good international ratings and you contact them first.

Posted on Dec 19, 2011 7:08:15 PM PST
Huh. Ordering from England sounds interesting. If I order less than four books in an order, it looks cheaper. Question applicable to ordering from any European Amazon site, is it easy to get a refund on the VAT if I'm ordering from America?

Posted on Dec 20, 2011 10:11:04 AM PST
ok, here goes.
If you use a german address with amazon.de- like a sister's or friends-but use your email here, your credit card info from the USA--then you can order things on amazon.de for delivery to your fam and friends in Germany. Their Prime is only 29 Euro a year- here we pay 79.00.
The deliveries were fast and smooth and I paid with my card right here on my PC.
Does that help anyone?
Oh and for Kindle books , all you need to do is temporarily change your country to Deutschland in Manage my Kindle and you will be able to get books from amazon.de.
The only catch again is that german address you needed to have set up once.
Frohe Weihnachten aus Colorado!

Posted on Dec 21, 2011 8:26:18 PM PST
I have on occasion. All items I purchased on amazon.de arrived timely... the shipping is sort of expensive though.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2011 8:33:44 PM PST
The Prime membership at amazon.de costs only 29 Euro. With that and if you choose prime items, you will save lots of shipping and it gets there in a flash.

Posted on Dec 25, 2011 6:07:53 AM PST
bernie says:
Viktor und Viktoria In der Hauptrolle Renate Müller, Hermann Thimig und Adolf Wohlbrück (DVD - 2009)
Die Liebe Ist Ein Seltsames Spiel von Connie Francis (Audio CD - 1997) - Doppel-CD

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2011 6:32:43 AM PST
bernie says:
good plan

Posted on Dec 25, 2011 12:42:39 PM PST
Do you know if the COMPLETE NORWEGIAN cds work on Mac and Windows or just Windows?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2011 6:57:49 AM PST
bill says:
I have ordered several times. It helps if you know a little German. I have relatives in Germany that do not speak any English that I correspond with.It is economical for me in some cases to order birthday presents and such for them. Be aware of the exchange rate when ordering. I would like to order movies from there because I want to watch them in German, but the costs are prohibitive to the U S. I hope to find a cost effective way to do that.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2011 12:42:07 PM PST
The UK government doesn't charge VAT on physical books (they do charge on e-books however, which seems odd to me) so providing you're just ordering books, the price you see is the price you'll pay. More info here : http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/vat/forms-rates/rates/goods-services.htm#7

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2011 4:39:15 PM PST
It is just as easy as Amazon.com. They do have products that you will not find on .com so I often check there too (with success) for things that one cannot get in the USA. zB German DVDs, books, and CDs.
Of course you should know a little German too. :-)

MfG - Jim the good Guy

Posted on Jan 1, 2012 1:37:46 PM PST
Miss M says:
For German and UK books, recommend using bookdepository.com - shipping is free to the US and many other countries.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2012 4:30:16 AM PST
I have a few times and had no problems.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2012 4:40:22 AM PST
I didn't know about this before. Thank you!

Posted on Jan 4, 2012 9:03:12 AM PST
Elenad says:
I've had excellent service from Amazon.de, ordering from California using my American credit card, the books arrive in a week. The shipping prices seem fair.

Posted on Jan 4, 2012 9:09:56 AM PST
Wow. Thanks for the help, everyone.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2012 9:34:39 AM PST
Kit Hansen says:
Ditto for me. I've actually been surprised by how quickly books arrive from Amazon.de and its affiliates, and I have found the prices are affordable enough. Now, though, I am working on getting a German address for my Kindle (per a suggestion from some other poster), so that I can purchase German Kindle editions directly from Amazon.de and have a wider selection.

Posted on Jan 8, 2012 5:51:03 PM PST
Herfjötur says:
If I may make a suggestion...there are loads of used German books available both on amazon.com and used books sites. I order the used ones, because I am not willing to pay for international shipping and possibly customs duty. But I DO stock up when I go home to Luxemburg. It's a bit more difficult now that I am only allowed one suitcase instead of two, but hey...that's what vgae charges are for!

Posted on Jan 8, 2012 8:32:12 PM PST
G. Gonzalez says:
I have ordered from Amazon.de several times. As others have written, the international shipping rates are outrageous. I usually wait until I get to Germany every year and have a list of books I'm interested in looking over to buy. In Berlin, I usually go to Dussmann on Friedrichstraße, or Hugendubel on Ku'damm.

Posted on Jan 22, 2012 3:15:25 AM PST
Juerstoll says:
If you looking for E-book in German Edition, you may find a fine selection on "KDP Select" that is the 90 Days where the Book is on: com, available.And you pay in $.On the 12.02.2012 my E-Book is for Promotion reasons Free. No charges, just load it down and give an comment. You find the Book on: http://www.amazon.com (or de,uk,)/B006KD2RZC don't forget :12.of February, Sunday 2012
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  49
Total posts:  80
Initial post:  Dec 17, 2011
Latest post:  Jul 19, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 13 customers

Search Customer Discussions