Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums $5 Off Fire TV Stick Grocery Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Baby Sale
Customer Discussions > Gardening forum

cats in the garden

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 176-200 of 233 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2011 9:54:38 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 5, 2011 10:00:35 AM PDT
you need to replace all of the mulch and the topsoil or the smell will stay there, or, cover the bed in large size gravel (keeps the weeds out, and also looks good)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2011 9:45:02 PM PST
Hi Mary
I have found that putting a thick layer of cedar mulch on the flower beds around my flowers would deter the neighborhood cats. When I did not have any cedar mulch, I would trim my miniature rose bushes and scatter the cut rose branches on my flower beds. The cats hated those picky rose branches and/or the cedar mulch.

Hope that helps.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 22, 2012 11:37:15 PM PST
We have at least 3 cats that come into our garden from neighbors around us, and after finding one to many "land mines" in the light, fluffy soil of my raised veggie garden (I dig with my hands! EW!), my wife recomended putting a litter box filled with kitty litter off to the side for them to use. I scoffed at the idea at first, but you know what? It worked like a charm! I guess if given the choice of digging a hole in the dirt or scratching in some sandy kitty litter, they prefer the later. I scoop out the poop every once in a while and really only change the sand after it rains.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2012 6:57:10 AM PST
Hedda says:
My local zoo gives Big Cat poop to use as deer deterrent, I never thought about it for cats! Good idea.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2012 6:09:14 AM PST
bb gun

Posted on Feb 29, 2012 9:07:11 AM PST
Andrew Lopez says:
ouchy
please re consider what you all are doing
never using anything that will harm the animals
cayenne pepper is very bad if they get it into their eyes, nose, etc. they will be in pain for a long time!
chaning mulches is not needed either
fensing can work but not practical in many situations.
live in the city?
cats are every where
what to do then?
lion poop? any predator poop will work. just tell the lion to stop by once in a while and poop around your place
same will predator urine...bad in this cases cause they freighten the animal into peeing! so they can sell. bad

ok ok what to do?
use any of the following.. strat with a light mixture...say 1 tablespoon about 1/2 oz in a gallon water. spray the mulch and around propert not the plants.
1. any natural essential oil
cedar oil
citrus oil. try otko. a natural citrus product
pennyroyal oil. strong use a drop per gallon to start
garlic. yep yep. garlic. buy crushed garlic ( i make my wn) from 99 cent store. add to panty hose, 8 oz garlic. 1 g allon water. panty hose keeps chunks of garlic from clogging sprayer. spray every where including plants.. most folks love garlic, cats and other animals do not..
clove oil
make your own essential oil from any medicinal plant
does this help?

heres my latest book
Don't Panic It's Organic! Organic Gardening Manual (Don't Panic, It's Organic!© Series)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 29, 2012 10:33:00 PM PST
We had the same problem last year.....we put MOTH BALLS around the inside edge of the garden bed...never had another cat use it for a toilet. Just have to make sure kids don't go near it.

Posted on Mar 4, 2012 2:29:52 PM PST
Hot hands says:
Just saw this product, it looks like rubber 'spikes' lots of small ones on a mat that you put around the garden, I guess cats hate to step on it?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2012 9:15:13 AM PST
M. Yoder says:
Moth balls are sooo toxic. Don't plant any edible plants in that garden if you use them!

Posted on Mar 16, 2012 3:58:19 PM PDT
Mercy says:
Chicken wire. Get a roll of chicken wire with 2" openings and roll it out on top of your garden beds. I use it in my vegetable garden. The plants grow through it, and the cats don't like to step on it.

As far as mulch goes, get a coarser grind. If you wouldn't want to step on it barefoot, neither will the cats.

Posted on Mar 19, 2012 11:35:26 AM PDT
Dinubabear says:
Our local nursury sells Big Cat Manuer. Mainly because we have deer, but it keeps other things from munching on your garden.

Outdoor Off! It keeps cats away for a week or until it rains.

If you want to keep JUST cats out of your garden, but not gophers or other critters, citrus peal in the garden is non-toxic, works as mulch and repels cats. Cats hate orange peal, but also lemon, grapefruit & tangerine. Cut it like you are going to make marmalade, and strew it around the garden, Cats won't dig through it.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2012 9:45:48 PM PDT
ultramega says:
Mary, I have a printout from the Humane Society (not sure where it is just now so the numbers aren't exact but close) that states that from only 2 cats mating, and then their cats mating etc, etc, within 10 years you could have over a million cats. Not kidding! It's soo important to have them spayed and/or neutered. They *will* get to be too many for you to handle eventually and most shelters will just put them down, even the 'no-kill' shelters. If you fix the ones you have, your kids can continue to enjoy them and you won't be contributing to the massive over population of too many stray cats for shelters (and kind hearted people) to deal with. You can even get financial assistance with this that makes it free or very inexpensive. And, so as not to be off topic :) and to try to help.....

About keeping cats from using your garden as a litter box, it's possible that you could sprinkle some cayenne pepper around the edge of your garden - maybe a 5" sprinkled barrier. I wouldn't use a lot so as not to injure the cats but enough that they'd get a whif and decide not to go there. I know this is a method used with other animals, can't recall which, so to be on the safe side do an internet search on 'using cayenne pepper to keep cats out of the garden' and see what comes up. If this isn't appropriate for cats, do an internet search for 'keeping cats out of the garden.' Chances are you'll find the right solution for you. Good luck!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2012 11:28:56 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 21, 2012 11:29:33 AM PDT
M. Crabtree says:
Put some sprinklers on motion sensors. Mike McGrath suggests that for deer and squirrels.
Make sure to turn it off before you go out there.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2012 4:02:32 PM PDT
yes. spread pine cones around. they do not like to step on them

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2012 4:07:00 PM PDT
yes. spread pine cones around. they do not like to step on them

Posted on Mar 22, 2012 4:54:34 PM PDT
Serena s. says:
So I have to spend money because I have asked my neighbor to keep their cat out of my yard/garden. Some family members are allergic and the cat is nasty. We also have feral cats. Why is it unethical for me to trap a cat and take it to the pound but its not unethical for their cat to crap and piss in my yard? The cat sits on my car, scratches it, pee's in my food garden, kills the neighborhood birds and I am unethical? Its my property! Keep your cat indoors, it will live a longer, healthier life. Your cat comes to my yard, be prepared to retrieve it from the dog warden. My property my choice. I dont let my dogs in your yard pissing and pooping everywhere. Outdoor cats become pests and destroy the local wildlife populations, can make humans sick with their feces (toxoplasmosis) and cause children to die in cases of toxoplasmosis. Keep YOUR animal in YOUR yard/home. Common sense. Period.

Posted on Mar 22, 2012 4:59:16 PM PDT
Serena s. says:
And btw, last cat I trapped was a lost animal. If I ever trap a cat on my property there are programs in my area for feral cats, they become barn cats at statewide farms. They are fixed and sent out. I check websites and fed the cat, eventually finding its owner. This would not be an issue if they would change the laws to make owners just as responsible for cats as dogs. If your cat gets eaten by a fox or other predator, would you be upset? Jease, common sense would tell you keep the cat inside so it is not eaten, hit by a car or maimed by someones dog.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 24, 2012 9:01:11 AM PDT
Kelly says:
cedar mulch keeps bugs away and I noticed the cats don't love it.
As a cat owner I find your solution of trapping the cats offensive. My cats are indoor but my neighbors cats are outdoor, they are pains in the tush but I wouldn't trap them and get rid of them and they spray in our garden which is waayy worse then digging up the mulch. I would also think there are laws against trapping and getting rid of people's pets. There is a balance that can be found. I also find that using a "cat" away spray in the yard works. Don't bother with mothballs or any of that sort of thing, they don't work.
There are effective, non lethal ways to deter the cats, non lethal being the best way.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 24, 2012 9:09:28 AM PDT
Kelly says:
Seriously what is with all of you that think trapping the cat and getting rid of it is a good idea? Many owners don't collar their cats, but it doesn't mean that it isn't owned. The local animal person releases strays into our neighborhood, they have a very short life living outdoors. Surrendering a cat that you don't even know if it has an owner is basically killing it. Although most shelters near us are no kill shelters many of these cats are not adoptable and have been dumped by their owners.

Try the "cat" away product. It comes in a spray bottle. I also use a garlic spray around my plants to keep the bugs down, this also keeps the cats away. I usually pick up a bottle at the local nursery but you could make your own.

I'm a cat lover so there are a couple of spots in my front garden that I leave heavily mulched with no flowers where the cats can go. Of course I also feed the squirrels. What I hate is the racoon poop that I find in the yard.. that is gross!

Posted on Mar 24, 2012 11:28:29 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 24, 2012 11:28:49 AM PDT
Mercy says:
Kelly, as a responsible cat owner, I find cat poop in my potatoes offensive. Most of the laws you'll find are about nuisance animals. Like cats trespassing on another persons property and doing damage to their agricultural products. My city writes the owners of the cats I trap a $200 ticket for each offense. That's me being polite to the cat owners, because the ones I catch in the chicken coop get a .22, not a baited trap. Incidentally, the owner of the one I shot had to reimburse me for the chicks it killed.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 24, 2012 4:58:09 PM PDT
We encourage the neighbor's cats because the cat urine scares away the rabbits which are much more destructive. The jack rabbits and real rabbits will eat a garden down to nothing overnight here.

Posted on Mar 26, 2012 3:28:15 PM PDT
SKU says:
When I was young, we lived across the street from a woman who owned 14 cats. And of course the would come to my mom's flower gardens to use as a litter box. So my mom would plant Marigolds in between her tulips and other plants, because cats hate the smell of Marigolds. She'd also throw a few mothballs here and there throughout the garden, as cats hate the smell of mothballs. You'd just need to replace them if you get a lot of rain, as they dissolve in the rain.
I sprinkle mothballs all around my outside air conditioning unit to deter ants and spiders from getting inside. The ants are drawn to electrical humming, and they can get onto the contacts that turn on the cool air for your AC and that blocks the contacts from touching each other and you have to call the AC guy out to your house because your AC will stay on constantly and blow nothing but hot air. That idea was at the advice of my AC guy who came out one evening to scrape the contacts clean where the ants had fried on the when they tried to close to blow cool air into my home. I also liberally sprinkle Amdro around the outside unit as well....to give the ants something else to concentrate on rather than my AC unit.
And if worse comes to worse, I know you can buy fox urine and apply it in your garden. Since the fox is a predator and can easily take out a cat....the cat may see it as a warning sign and go find someone else's garden to potty in. Good luck!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 1, 2012 12:19:57 AM PDT
This sounds odd but I read it on a gardening blog a while back. Stick some plastic forks tines upward every 6 inches or so where you don't want the cats to do their business. They squat to relieve themselves and they won't squat over a fork sticking up like that. Just stick them down into the mulch so only a few inches sticks up so they don't get you when you are weeding. We have a pretty big feral cat problem where I live and this seems to be working to keep them out of my garden. And they aren't really dangerous, because i stepped on one the other day and it broke instead of sticking me. And don't worry it won't hurt the cats, they won't squat over something pointy. It makes my garden look a little funny though.

Posted on Apr 1, 2012 6:56:04 AM PDT
I have tried the red pepper, black pepper even bought spike things, none of them worked. I went to the local feed store and got a bottle of granulated fox urine , that finally worked.

Posted on Apr 1, 2012 8:26:29 PM PDT
Coffee ground work wonders. However, you have to constantly renew it. I have a can that I keep by the coffee pot which I dump into my flower beds couple of times a week.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Gardening forum
Participants:  157
Total posts:  233
Initial post:  Sep 28, 2010
Latest post:  Jul 27, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 15 customers

Search Customer Discussions