Customer Discussions > Gardening forum

cats in the garden

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 151-175 of 231 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jul 20, 2011 10:33:13 AM PDT
J. Ogilvie says:
The one thing you would have to be careful of though is if they were any type of edible plants, as lions are carnivorous and you can get very sick from the feces of anything that eats meat...

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 20, 2011 10:35:12 AM PDT
J. Ogilvie says:
Mary, I too had this problem so I went to my local Starbucks and got some of their used coffee grounds that they give away. I just sprinkled them all around as a top dressing and so far it seems to have worked.
Jeremy

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 20, 2011 11:53:42 AM PDT
Chris Phipps says:
lol! I should have mentioned that the faucet is right in the target zone. I can't get to it, to turn it off, without activating the sensor.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 21, 2011 12:15:26 AM PDT
SLS says:
Sorry about that, don't know what to suggest unless you would want to garden in your bathing suit (ha, ha). If you find a solution that works, let us know.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 21, 2011 12:18:21 PM PDT
Wayne says:
It's just plain wrong, it's cruel, and it's stealing, but as far as I know there's no federal law against taking somebody's cat to another neighborhood. So I have to question your "felony ...punishable with 20 years in prison!" statement. Perhaps your state has specific sections of the penal code that deal with this, but it's more than a stretch to assume that the whole world works the same way.

It's like saying that it's wrong to park next to a red curb because it's against the law. It may be illegal in your state, and in another state it may be illegal to paint any curb red in the first place.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 24, 2011 10:39:48 AM PDT
mj says:
Do I understand you correctly, you placed cat-deterrent material in YOUR garden to prevent YOUR cats from using it? So now they use your neighbors yards for disposal site. Aren't you the responsible cat owner: feed them and turn them out to litter the neighborhood. I bet your neighbors love you!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 24, 2011 8:17:04 PM PDT
Amazon Woman says:
I had an extra container of chili powder (big container like you get at discount center) and sprinkled it all over my bed. cats haven't pooped in there for more than two weeks now.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 26, 2011 6:28:49 AM PDT
SLS says:
MJ: I think the people posting here are talking about preventing cats from using their vegetable gardens or flower beds, not necessarily preventing the cats from using the rest of their yard which would not have a garden. Myself, I just want to keep them out of my vegetables, what they do in the rest of my yard does not bother me.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2011 12:43:46 PM PDT
fishin says:
in WA state it is considered animal cruelty and abandonment to "relaese" animals. Besides, it's cruel to dump them. In a new neighborhood they are lost & fighting the resident cats/dogs/raccoons. In the wild they are starving & dodging coyotes/foxes/eagles etc.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2011 11:06:41 PM PDT
I use chicken wire all along the ground in my veggie garden. I cats not only can't scratch between the small holes but they will absolutely steer clear of it. They can't stand walking on it.

Posted on Aug 4, 2011 9:19:55 PM PDT
I have put sticks, I used bamboo stakes cut into two pieces, in my flower garden to keep the cats out. Just put them in about every 12 inches. They don't like to navigate them to find a suitable place to do their business. It does look a little weird, but it worked and I after a while I removed them and the cats didn't come back.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2011 9:34:30 AM PDT
coffee grounds!

Posted on Aug 11, 2011 6:42:35 PM PDT
P. Willstrop says:
Why is it ok for cats to run free eating the native birds and reptiles? They should be rounded up and put away. The people harboring them should be fined.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 15, 2011 11:54:20 AM PDT
PINECONES! cover the area with them , hurts them paws, they stay away and off the pile

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 15, 2011 11:54:21 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 15, 2011 11:56:46 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 16, 2011 10:40:10 AM PDT
Because that's what God made them to do!

Posted on Aug 16, 2011 11:22:51 AM PDT
@ P. Willstrop: cats are helpful in ridding the environment of rats, mice. These rodents can carry disease that are picked up by fleas who in turn will bite humans and sicken them. Unfortunately, cats do not discriminate in what they eat - like birds - so we must be smarter then they and use deterrents to limit their access.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 16, 2011 9:12:17 PM PDT
Tamara Kreuz says:
Get a motion-activated sprinkler and feed the cats away from the garden beds. Get them spayed and neutered or you are going to have a large problem soon - cats reproduce really quickly and rapidly become a nuisance. Spayed and neutered cats are happier and healthier, too. Try a google search for "low cost spay neuter" along with your zip code to see if you can find a low cost clinic nearby. Good luck!

Posted on Aug 17, 2011 2:10:44 AM PDT
Devi says:
Contech Electronics CRO101 Scarecrow Motion-Activated Sprinkler

Works like a charm. I have two of them.

Posted on Aug 23, 2011 7:38:35 PM PDT
Use a trap known as a 220 Conibear, it's a jumping trap that kills the animal instantly. Keep your cats on your own property, or lose them. This "god's creatures" argument is B.S, They're YOUR creatures.

Posted on Aug 25, 2011 8:11:03 AM PDT
Kelley Hunt says:
Where I live, feed stores sell containers of coyote urine which is supposed to scare away any creature that is small enough to be eaten by a coyote.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2011 11:49:44 AM PDT
fishin says:
I tried the sticks and it worked! It looked odd, I put short 2-4" sticks sticking straight up about every 3" & they couldn't get their bottoms down without bumping into them. The tomatoes grew & hid them.

Posted on Oct 8, 2011 12:04:40 PM PDT
matthew says:
I haven't read through all the recent postings but your best bet to be rid of pest cats peeing in your flower beds is to imbed sharp sticks upright within said area that they are digging up and messing in. When they attempt to dig within the area it will poke their paws and detour them from digging in the areas. You will have to repeatedly replace these sharp objects until they get the idea not to dig in these beds. But eventually it will stop them. I detest my flower beds being dug up as well. Totally feel for you. I love cats too, but refuse to have all my hard work destroyed. As far as I'm concerned, cats shouldn't be encouraged as a stray outdoor pet.

Posted on Oct 12, 2011 10:14:25 PM PDT
Jerimiah says:
I read somewhere that coffee grounds work well. Everyday continue to throw your coffee grounds in the area you do not want the cats in. They do not like the texture and will move else where. I started doing that - just filling areas with coffee grounds! It actually works and the grounds do not harm the plants/grass/flowers. Another idea is to just make another area (if you have the space) more attractive to the cats out doors for them to go. Dig up an area and keep it soft/watered to keep them out of your plants. I would also have a talk with the owners of the cats and tell them about the damage. Have them take a look and ask them for reimbursement for the cost of your flowers and potting soil!!! I have lots of planters on my porch and I put large fist size rocks on top of the soil to keep the cats out. That works well. I love the flower pots and have not had problems with them but if there are no rocks in them the cats find them! Good luck!

Posted on Oct 29, 2011 6:59:14 PM PDT
Chicken wire just under the soil helps, because they can't dig. So does cayenne pepper and/or chili powder. I'd also suggest this, it's available most places:

Liquid Fence 130 Dog and Cat Repellent, 1-Gallon Ready to Use

And as for those of you who suggest taking someone's cat to the pound, or dumping it someplace, or even doing the same with a stray or feral cat, you should be ashamed of yourselves, though I know you're not. I hope you're never at the mercy of someone as lacking in compassion as you are. I truly do.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Gardening forum (186 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Gardening forum
Participants:  155
Total posts:  231
Initial post:  Sep 28, 2010
Latest post:  13 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 11 customers

Search Customer Discussions