Best Books of the Month Shop Men's Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Beauty Videos Amazon Gift Card Offer jrscwrld jrscwrld jrscwrld  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Fall Arrivals in Amazon Outdoor Clothing Kids Halloween
Customer Discussions > Gardening forum

I Need Help-Questions about Violets

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 4, 2012 9:41:57 AM PDT
TinkHerToy says:
I am looking to grow Violets to harvest petals and make violet syrup and candied violets. I am confused with all the different kinds of violets, do I use African Violets? I've seen so many different kinds. I want the ones that are used to make Choward's Violet Mints. Monin makes a Natural Violet Syrup. Or am I completely dense because ALL violets smell that way? Are there wild violets? I just love violet aroma and taste. I love it more than lavender. Thanks for the help!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2012 9:52:05 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 30, 2012 10:59:52 PM PDT
African Violet is a tropical plant that lives indoors. Don't use that. Yes, violets can be wild but they aren't around in my area much anymore. I would plant your own there are many varieties.

Posted on Sep 29, 2012 6:50:56 AM PDT
TinkHerToy says:
I suspected that African Violets would not work. I purchased a couple dozen Wild Violet plants on ebay, and I planted them in a half barrel. They are beginning to grow. My entire backyard is covered in black plastic and ugly white rock, so I'm using containers until we can get this mess cleaned up. Thanks for your response!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2012 11:02:58 PM PDT
Just make sure you feed the soil from time to time with fertilizers. As the plants mature the soil in planters need some regeneration. My fav fertilizer is homemade manure tea or worm tea.

Good luck with your project it sounds like fun.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 1, 2012 8:38:55 AM PDT
TinkHerToy says:
Sweet! Do you think adding earthworms to the barrel would be beneficial?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 15, 2012 1:04:34 PM PDT
Oh yes! Remember to feed the worms from time to time as they need to eat. So leave a spot inside the barrel to tuck in an apple or some manure or something once in awhile. You should be able to find red wigglers pretty cheap or you could hustle some from your yard for free if you want.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2012 2:24:15 PM PDT
mooter says:
You could talk to your local extension agent who can put you in touch with someone in the master gardener program. They will provide free advice pertinent to your particular growing conditions. Violets are one of the most common "pass along" plants and they may be able to find a source for you free of charge as well. Violets like filtered shade and the cooler temps of spring and a fairly rich soil. Given the right conditions they will spread and achieve ground cover status, then you can pass them along to others. You want to make sure they are raised without pesticides if you plan to consume them (and watch out for pets who may have "fertilized" them.) Violets also make a great jelly. Very Victorian. Good Luck!

Posted on Oct 29, 2012 3:09:21 PM PDT
TinkHerToy says:
Thanks for all the good advice! I have my ebay Violets in a barrel now, they are growing nicely. I've already noticed that they are beginning to spring up around the outside of the barrel, right through the black plastic and ugly white rocks! I am using no pesticides whatsoever, I do want to consume them. I love the Violet jelly idea! I do adore the scent and flavor of violets...
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Gardening forum (190 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Gardening forum
Participants:  3
Total posts:  8
Initial post:  Sep 4, 2012
Latest post:  Oct 29, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions