Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM
Customer Discussions > Gay And Lesbian forum

well written m/m books with a geeky main character

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-16 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 9, 2012 10:49:16 AM PST
M. Yott says:
Hi, yes it's me again looking for more recs. This time I am looking for well written m/m books for my kindle. Ideally the books I am interested in would have a main character that is geeky or even just "someone who marches to the beat of his own drum" (to borrow a cliche). Maybe even someone you could describe as slightly innocent, or naive (but not sexually) If the other character was an alpha male type I would be deliriously happy. I have read most of Jet Mykles and I am slightly burnt out on the whole "gay for you" plot device, but if you know of one you think is fabulous please suggest it anyway. The only thing I insist on is that the work be really well written. Anyhoo please send any and all recs my way. Thanks in advance.
Your reply to M. Yott's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

Posted on Mar 29, 2012 8:53:59 AM PDT
Lee Rowan says:
Charlie Cochrane's "Lessons In" series (first book, Lessons in Love) is the story of two Cambridge academics who develop a relationship when someone begins murdering gay students. It's set in 1920's England. Orlando Coppersmith is a professor of mathematics, and a geek ahead of his time - quiet, socially inept, brilliant but naive. Jonty Stewart specializes in literature, rugby, and smart-ass remarks. A wonderful series written by a Cambridge alumna, with mysteries I couldn't guess the whodunnits of. And, as you requiest, EXCELLENT writing. The love scenes are restrained, emotional but not explicit. Good stuff!

Posted on Mar 29, 2012 9:02:59 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 29, 2012 9:04:06 PM PDT
Denni says:
Since you're already a fan of Jet Mykles, have you read Tech Support?
Wicked Heartsby Claire Thompson
PsyCop Partnersby Jordan Castillo Price
Clear Waterby Amy Lane
Drawn Together by Z.A Maxfield
Crossing Borders by Z.A. Maxfield
and maybe Cheating Chance (Taking the Odds)by James Buchanan
Excellent novella Bring The Heat by M.L. Rhodes

Posted on Mar 30, 2012 4:17:24 PM PDT
Cryselle says:
A Lie I Can Live With by Eden Winters is cute and funny.

Posted on Apr 12, 2012 8:17:23 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 13, 2012 6:18:34 AM PDT
I really liked Song of Oestend by Marie Sexton . IIRC the MC is an accountant and has an artistic hobby/talent. Works on a ranch. Other character is the ranch foreman. Has a bit of supernatural spin,but I wouldn't classify it as paranormal romance, really. Sexton's a fairly popular writer; I thought it was well done.
Latakia has an MC that fits your description well -not exactly a geek but has a sweet trusting heart. At the same time, though, he's NOT a mouse at all. Courageous without being bitter or jaded. 9000+ locations, $0.99 lots of good reviews.

Posted on May 5, 2012 10:20:00 AM PDT
K. Pless says:
Have you tried the Psy Cops series by Jordan Castillo Price? Among the Living (PsyCop) is the first one, and Vic is a great character.

Posted on May 6, 2012 1:18:51 AM PDT
lupawolf81 says:
Lynn Hagen!!! Read the Brac Pack series

Posted on May 6, 2012 6:05:56 AM PDT
Chris says:
Try "Franklin: A gay teenager's journey from crippling self-doubt to an empowering awareness of God's grace," by M. Bennett Crosby. While the title is off-putting, the book is amongst the best gay coming-of-age stories I have ever read. It is the story of two geeky art students finding their way in the world. Huge tear jerker as Franklin deals with the huge emotional abuse of his childhood. This would also be a great book to give to anyone struggling with accepting themselves as gay, or for a religious parent who wants to understand being gay isn't a ticket to hell, etc.

Posted on May 6, 2012 1:49:11 PM PDT
Rod Govers says:
"While the title is off-putting"

You're right about that, Chris. :)

Posted on May 7, 2012 12:17:54 PM PDT
Jackie says:
Bear, Otter, and the Kid by TJ Klune. This was one of the best books I read last year.

Posted on May 8, 2012 7:10:14 AM PDT
K. Pless says:
I just remembered If I Must by Amy Lane! This isn't a very long story, but it has tons of emotional impact. The MC is brilliant to the point of having trouble functioning like an average person, and he's adorable and sweet at the same time. I've read this novella at least a dozen times. It's just that good!

Posted on May 8, 2012 9:09:33 AM PDT
SheReadsALot says:
Behind Iron Lace

Posted on May 9, 2012 8:06:25 PM PDT
mrs thj says:
Oooooh i very much agree with If I Must. Loved it!

Posted on May 10, 2012 9:07:28 PM PDT
Kristin says:
Try:

- Collision Course by K.A. Mitchell - definitely has the guy who "marches to his own beat" partnered with alpha male type (contemporary)
- The God Eaters by Jesse Hajicek - fantastic fantasy/prison m/m romance, pairs innocent/naive guy with alpha male badass killer guy (don't worry, it's not scary crazy prison stuff) - also you should know this is available to read totally free online: http://www.fictionpress.com/s/2610279/1/The_God_Eaters
- The Curtis Reincarnation by Zathryn Priest - weirdly innocent/naive rockstar as main character, contemporary

Posted on May 10, 2012 10:01:02 PM PDT
SheReadsALot says:
Thank you, Kristin!

Posted on May 12, 2012 4:10:38 AM PDT
Jordan says:
If you like YA, I'd try Brett Hartinger's Geography Club. Very geeky main character. Very enjoyable.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Gay And Lesbian forum (199 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Gay And Lesbian forum
Participants:  14
Total posts:  16
Initial post:  Mar 9, 2012
Latest post:  May 12, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions