Customer Discussions > George RR Martin forum

when is the new book coming out?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 143 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2008 7:59:50 AM PST
Sherrie says:
DITTO: Martin's not just putting off work on ADwD for the sake of his personal life; he's released many side projects, and has his hands in sooo many merchandising/editing/con-attending ventures, it's ridiculous. Personally, I could care less about the newest ASoIaF figurines or the newest graphic adaptation of story written 20 years ago. It's readily apparent that Martin has too many balls in the air at the same time, and that he's more concerned with his other projects than he is ADwD. Don't get me wrong, I love the guy, but I think that his work on ASoIaF should take precedence over some of the fan-boy, geek-squad stuff he apparently feels compelled to spend the majority of his time on. And Please Venefica this is not just his passion it's his job and we as consumers make his job finacialy feasable as for the intriciasies of his books there not all that, the only thing that is intricate is keeping the character stories gong and insync with each other, its not as if were discussing new technology or a whole new world or universe. There are far more books out there that are way more involved and still don't take years to write mind you thie last book came out (published) 2005.!!!! and by his own admittance the other half was near completion. So don;t lecture it's just annoying..

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2008 8:17:05 AM PDT
Ogress says:
I'm in agreement with you Sherrie. I've been waiting years for what I am sure will be the better half of Feast for Crows and it irks me to read about his new figurines, new comics, new whatevers and be left dangling with a book that shouldn't have been published the way it was. I'm sorry but there wasn't enough story in the last book for me to be satisfied with it. It also bothers me that it is the success his fans brought him for this series that has allowed him to ignore it for his side projects.

I know that sounds very callous and I would word it better if my mood was better but I got angry at Venefica lecturing tone that because it is writing that we can't have expectations and that writing is so hard. Give me a break - he's doing what he loves for a living. What is hard is working at a job that does nothing for you, doesn't make you rich or famous, doesn't give you awards and neat little side projects and you have deadlines daily. Do that 40 hours a week for barely enough money to get by for 40 years. Now that's hard.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 18, 2008 6:40:14 AM PDT
It's almost painfully obvious that Martin has writer's block. Do you ever have something that you didn't want to do so you kept filling your schedule with other things to do? This is it? Perhaps the pressure of having such a huge success and trying to duplicate it is getting to him. Writer's block is a very tricky devil, and one that has licked many writer's before. No one ever admits to it, they make excuses, fill their schedule with other things, beat around the bush because the devil grows too strong to face. Even if Dance with Dragons comes out how long until the next one? In light of all of this it really is impressive what Rowling was able to do. She had one of the most succesful series of all time and didn't fold under the pressure. She, for the most part, kept to her schedule and kept a consistent appeal to her story and fans. A lot of people point to Jordan for comparison, I don't know if that is true. With Jordan he seemed to string his series out way too long, in other words, he may have wrote too much. George R. R. Martin has to say that he is doing something instead of nothing, hence all of these other projects. That's my two cents. I hope I'm wrong, but this sounds like writer's block. It's funny to think that there are some readers that are waiting to read the entire series after it is totally finished. How long will they be waiting?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2008 8:01:41 AM PDT
For myself I have given up on Martin. The last book was a disgrace, as he himself wrote it was half a book. I feel annoyed that I have wasted my time reading something that started off well but has tailed off into another Jordan. If and when the series is ever finished I shall consider looking at it.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 1, 2008 3:34:59 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 1, 2008 3:35:44 PM PDT
Burglekutt says:
Well im glad I still have books 2-4 to read still. I just found this series and finished book 1 last night. Absolutely amazing! I've never read such incredible fantasy. I am 29 years old and basically just started reading fiction in my life. So I have read very few books. I found out about Martin and this series on these forums so I gave it a try. I got book 2 ready to go, gonna start it tonight. It must be hard to have a planned number of books in a series, then try to make sure you can continue its greatness. It's probably overwhelming so I will not criticize him. Let's just hope all the side projects he's working on are just to allow him to shut off ice & fire for awhile so he can get fresh perspective. It wouldnt do any good for him to try and continue with something if the passion isn't there. None of us would be happy with forced writing just for the sake of completing the series. I'm sure he has the plot in his head. Let's give his genius and imagination the breather he needs so he can make sure it continues beatifully.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 3, 2008 11:48:29 AM PDT
Joker333 says:
I've pretty much given up on reading Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire". Don't get me wrong the series so far is great and Martin can write very well, but Martin is spending entirely too much time on other side projects. I've even heard that he's started working on, with HBO, a TV series, and his series, that the show is based on, isn't even finished yet? I think like previous people have said that he is biting off a little more than he can chew. Aside from the still ongoing enormous wait for "A Dance with Dragons", he still has two more books in the series to finish. I say this with the utmost respect for the man, but fact is that he's an older man and the same terrible thing that happened to the late Robert Jordan might happen to him.(Though I hope not). With the ridiculous amount of collectible cards, action figures, board games, prequels, TV series.... it seems like he's not focusing enough on the series he started. Maybe he should have finished writing this series and then worked on all of the other side projects? Either way I know that I will not be continuing the series until the last book in the series is published.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2008 7:42:52 PM PDT
Well if you have forgotten all the details from the other books, start reading them over again and if you take your time maybe he will be done by the time you finish. (Depends on reading speed :)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2008 8:47:16 PM PDT
Jennie says:
The years we've waited for these books has been worth it, hasn't it? Would you trade a book that leaves you breathless for a piece of mediocrity written only to satisfy a publishing deadline and impatient readers? Me...I'll wait.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2008 9:18:50 PM PDT
Amen sister.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2008 9:26:05 PM PDT
Hey Alia, while you wait, you may wanna look into some books by Robin Hobb. She creates a world fairly comparable to Martin, and there are 9 complete books. And they END at 9 books. No more waiting. I like Martin a little more, but Hobb got me through the difficult period between Storm of Swords and Feast for Crows.

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2008 4:29:36 PM PDT
I'm not waiting in anticipation for the newest book to come out. Of course, it could be because I only read the 1st book (and that was a few years ago, so I probably need to start from the beginning again), so I'm not going crazy with waiting for the next book in the series.=)

There are a few other series I read (where the authors are good about getting a book out every 1-2 years) so I've put Martin on my TBR list. I've heard about how long he takes to get each book out, so I haven't started a re-read of the 1st book yet. But the rate he's going, the last 2 book in the series won't come out for a LONG time.argh.

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2008 6:48:43 AM PDT
Well it looks like we now have a date for the new Book , A Dance With Dragons due on Sept 30, .... I think it was 2008..

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2008 8:11:17 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 30, 2008 12:42:19 PM PDT
MM says:
I'm stunned. Really. I posted some comments in George R.R. Martin's livejournal asking about the publication date of the next book in the Song of Ice and Fire series (Dragons) and he removed the comments and banned me from his journal.

Wow, I would never have thought of Martin as a man who surrounds himself with sycophants and fawning people. He's so busy promoting what he hasn't written (Dance w/Dragons), his dolls and book signing dates, that he is offended when a fan asks him when the next book will be ready.

The books in his series have anywhere from a 2 to 5 year interval between them. Isn't that a bit long?

Given that the money from our purchase of his books contribute significantly to his quality of life, is it unrealistic for us to expect the author to produce a series in a reasonable frame of time? Is there no responsibility to the readers?

He's getting paid, right? He's a paid author under contract. We pay for the "privilege" of reading and sharing in his intellectual property. This is not a free ride, this is not fanfiction.

Well, time for me to move on. I could never go back to reading Ice & Fire, because I would see the pettiness and small-mindedness of the man who wrote it instead of the characters that he writes about.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 23, 2008 12:54:20 AM PDT
I don't know why you're stunned. The man has asked over and over in his notablog for people to stop asking when the book is coming out. He's putting the effort in to make sure the next book is something he would want his name attached to, and that's something I wish more authors did, frankly.

If I wrote repeatedly for people to stop asking one type of question, and someone insisted on asking it, I'd erase their post too. Writing on someone elses' schedule is for journalists, not authors. A Song of Ice and Fire isn't Martin's only work, and if it were, he'd probably get bored with it pretty quickly and not bother producing it at all.

And that would be far worse than waiting a few years between 400-600 pg books.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 23, 2008 10:56:09 AM PDT
R Reader says:
I'm with Jason; the first thing he says on any blog having to do with song of fire and ice is, "please stop asking me when it is going to be done." I see a couple people comparing him to Jordan then saying how much more Jordan is, which I find a complete Joke, since Jordan's wheel of time series are all written with the same formulaic lack of passion that hollywood uses for sequels. Book 3 is book one with a few different names, and book four is the same, I quit reading after book four because it was so repetative and the characters had very little dimension to them (black and white). I keep reading Martins post, and as a writer myself, I think I found what part of the problem might be - he wrote something he fears he isn't able to live up too, and so he bleeds himself upon the pages of fire and ice, and can't write as freely anymore because he sees everything he does in contrast to what was before, and it freezes him. The best writing I ever did, almost undid me because everything I added to the screenplay seemed to make it less than what it was verses something better. At least he's trying to make the next book something great, instead of settling on a formulaic repeat of the book before.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 23, 2008 4:17:45 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 27, 2008 3:29:28 PM PDT
MM says:
I posted this reply in another forum but it is my response to R Reader and Jason-

Do you think that the publisher, Bantam Books would accept your premise? An author under contract for a series has a five year interval between books? R. Reader, where on earth did you get the idea that he's trying to make the next book something great? Instead of finishing the book, Martin's hawking figurines, book signings, all kinds of crap. Is that professional?

He told the readers that "Dragons" was the second half of "Crows" and was supposedly almost finished years ago. He's not writing War & Peace. This is the real world of real commitments. He committed himself to writing a series. Why is it unreasonable to expect it to be done in a reasonable (by any standard) amount of time? Writing is a profession isn't it?

Let me (or anyone else) take 5 years between projects or not execute a workload in a timely manner and we would be in the unemployment line. Why are writers any different? 5 years between books does not seem reasonable to me. When people (not just me, lots of people) ask him how the work is going in his livejournal, he deletes the posts. He doesn't delete the sycophantic comments. Fine with me.

But I'm sick and tired of people acting as if we should tip-toe around Martin's feelings or he might not continue writing. I don't think so. He wants to continue to pick up that paycheck and he loves the fan adoration. Do you think that Bantam Books is praising him? I don't see them publishing anything else by him. He places himself in the public arena, but we're only suppose to say nice things about him? Don't ask him when the book will be done? Just buy his books, the other junk he's hawking but don't say anything unless it's a butt kissing sycophantic praise pat? Please, I'll say what I want.

I am no longer waiting for the next book in the Ice and Fire series or anything else that he writes.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 23, 2008 4:55:38 PM PDT
R Reader says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 23, 2008 5:06:49 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 23, 2008 5:07:24 PM PDT
MM says:
To R Reader:
You're kidding. Right? I'm looking for new completed series to read or writers who don't have five year intervals between books. Why would I read "Dragons" knowing that there are two or three books still to come in the series. I could be looking at a 10 to 15 year wait for the series end. He's good, but not that good. Once I become immersed in other writers works, Martin will just be an afterthought to me.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2008 5:09:48 AM PDT
What's the difference between reading book five now and waiting five years for each of the next ones, and picking it all up in twenty years? Well, for one, who knows if you'll still be around in twenty? Seriously, though, crafting a novel, much less an epic series, is no small matter, and not something you can say "I'm going to pound out X pages today, and X pages tomorrow, and the next day I'll really push it and pound out Y." Publishing can be a nasty business, but even if you're contracted to produce x pages in x years, as a publisher I think I'd be willing to wait a bit longer for quality.

As for saying what you want, when you want it... I'm from the USA, where speech is free, and (unfortunately in some cases) so is oxygen. But it's Martin's blog, and if he doesn't want to host flames and worse from impatient not-a-fans, who am I to begrudge the man a little peace of mind?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2008 8:21:59 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 30, 2008 12:45:56 PM PDT
MM says:
Martin is 60 years old. Will he still be around in twenty years? Robert Jordan passed recently leaving some other writer to finish his Wheel of Time series. What will Martin be in 20 years? 80 years old.

Yes, it's Martin's blog and I won't post anything there ever again. Too bad he can only stand praise, back pats and brown-nosing.

God forbid that we should have a question regarding his work or it's timeliness. Buy those figurines, cds and artwork, but shut-up about everything else.

You say he needs a little peace of mind. Well, he does not have to worry about me making comments on his blog anymore. But this is not Martin's blog and I will say whatever I want about him as an author. I'm from the USA too. Southern born and bred.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2008 9:52:10 AM PDT
R Reader says:
To MM:
Have you ever read Melanie Rawn, J.V. Jones, or R. Scott Baker? Those are three of my favorites; just in case your looking around. If you read Melanie rawn read the Dragon Prince series. It's 6 books in full, two trilogies all together.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2008 11:38:49 AM PDT
MM says:
I am checking out Melanie Rawn. Thanks for the other suggestions.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 26, 2008 7:34:06 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 27, 2008 8:00:36 PM PDT
MM says:
Update:
If you check Martin's blog, (http://grrm.livejournal.com/), his recent post dated June 25, 2008 states that the book is not finished.

He's in Europe doing book signings and conventions. He disabled commenting in the post because he does not want to hear anything you have to say if you're not kissing his big behind and fawning over him.

Best estimate is that Dance with Dragons won't be out until Spring 2009. That's over 4 years between Crows and Dragons. Imagine how long you'll be waiting for the next two or three books.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 27, 2008 3:13:13 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 28, 2008 1:23:53 PM PDT
MM says:
To:Venefica
I'm not getting paid, nor am I under contract by a major publisher (Bantam Books) to write an email, term paper or personal note. That's the difference between being a paid, responsible, professional writer and a reader.

We pay for the expertise of the writer, not for his procrastination. Five years between books for a professional writer is a bit much.

Maybe some of the time spent signing books, hawking action figures, comics, tv series and book conventions could be used to write. You think?

Just want you to know that I don't have to "show some gratitude for those who so wonderfully entertain us" because I am paying cold hard cash to the entertainer. That's gratitude enough. Martin should show some gratitude to those who contribute to his quality of life by producing the "entertainment" in a more timely fashion.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 7, 2008 12:02:32 PM PDT
I can understand and at times have agreed with many of you who are so tired of waiting for the next installment in this amazing series. But I still am hoping the book is finished soon. However, I think it would be far easier to bear the waiting were it not for the voluminous amount of traveling, appearances and other projects which seem to monopolize Martin's time. Although he is free to chart his own life and do as he pleases, and it may be as someone mentioned earlier "writers block", but to leave a legion of fans hanging on the plot precipice that you constructed while seeming to make every effort to avoid working on that story would seem to be very self destructive for your career and future marketing. In the end, we as fans only end up losing having our curiosity satisfied, for George Martin there may be a day when his long awaited sequel arrives too late for many.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  George RR Martin forum
Participants:  84
Total posts:  143
Initial post:  Apr 27, 2007
Latest post:  Jul 18, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 22 customers

Search Customer Discussions