Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Germany forum

Poll

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 63 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 13, 2008 9:16:01 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 13, 2008 9:18:47 AM PST
Pascalito says:
What comes up first when you hear "Germany"?
a) Nazi, Hitler etc
b) Mercedes, BMW etc.
c) Goethe, Brahms etc.
d) other
I'd be especially interested in point d.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2008 7:19:01 PM PST
d) German Disco Light Show! lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJQSC5yM9Jw

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2008 8:27:22 AM PST
Arckitekt says:
Unfortunately Holocaust Propanganda- Germany is still evil, all Germans are guilty etc. The more memorials they build the bigger this misconception gets

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2008 2:44:02 PM PST
d)The German language and Germanic Linguistics is what I think of usually...

Other candidates: Cold War, Gothic Subculture, Berlin, Expressionism

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2008 4:20:12 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Mar 1, 2008 12:32:46 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2008 11:15:24 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jun 3, 2009 3:16:15 PM PDT
Pascalito says:
Thanks for your answers everybody.
@Oregongirl: I have the same question. I'll try and answer ist myself, maybe Arckitekt will explain further. The first part of his post I think refers to the many many films with the German Nazi Villain, and maybe to books like Goldhagen's.
The second part - this is really something to be discussed. I think that Germany, unlike Japan or Austria, has really tackled its 12 Nazi years, and building memorials is just one part of that. And if this memorial-building creates misconceptions - so be it I'd say. It's important for Germany itself in its struggle to ease that historical load of guilt - if other countries get the wrong impression nothing can be done about that.
I am really getting very exhausted because of that obesession with WWII especially in the anglosaxon films and media. And almost none of them ever tries to understand how 1933 could happen, how it was possible that the Nazis came into power. They don't know, or don't want to know, anything about the preceding years since the Versailles treaty. That it was the worst of the worst grabbing power in the Reich - many, many didn't notice in the beginning, and when they did it was too late, the murderers were loose.
I'd be happy about further discussion.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2008 11:21:59 PM PST
D. says:
I definatly think that a movie should be made about the average german soldier during ww2.
Unfourtunately No American director wants to touch that, hopefully someone in Germany will!
Althought I felt that Steven Spiellberg did an o.k. job portraying the germans in Saving Private Ryan.
Especially at the last battle sequence in the movie after a SS soilder knifed one of the U.S. Rangers'
in a hand to hand struggle on the second floor of a building , than when he makes his way down the steps he runs into Upem, the U.S. soilder who couldn't even move because he was so scared, and just passes him when he could have easily killed him!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2008 5:35:44 PM PST
Sean K. King says:
b). VOLKSWAGEN

then,

d). Great workmanship, great military leaders. Like Rommel, etc...

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 22, 2008 11:55:24 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Mar 1, 2008 12:32:57 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2008 11:40:57 AM PDT
L. Steidl says:
C, ESPECIALLY ALL THE GREAT COMPOSERS & ART THAT THIS COUNTRY PRODUCED

LUIGI ~ nyc

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2008 11:42:07 AM PDT
L. Steidl says:
ALL GERMANS ARE EVIL?

very sad comment, I'm sorry to say!

LUIGI ~ nyc

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 18, 2008 7:35:51 PM PDT
I would say the German contribution to modern day warfare tactics (Blitzkrieg) created by Guderian.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 17, 2008 11:04:44 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 31, 2008 6:32:07 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 17, 2008 11:18:48 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Apr 17, 2008 11:18:48 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 21, 2008 10:52:22 AM PDT
E. Cote says:
Usually what pops into my mind is either BMW or Marlene Dietrich/German film.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 21, 2008 7:40:23 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Apr 21, 2008 7:40:23 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2008 8:07:17 AM PDT
I think of Oktoberfest.

I hardley think all Germans are evil, being one myself. In Germany now, there is less racism than America. Think about that before you classify all Germans.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2008 5:12:59 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 22, 2008 5:14:04 AM PDT
S. Swink says:
Mabel:

Unfortunately here in America, most of the racism I have observed personally comes from immigrants who bring it with them. Several of the Chinese, Koreans and Russians I've talked with are the worst racists I have ever met - far more than your everyday Americans who were born here. It's nice to know we can import all the racism we need from around the world.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2008 2:23:52 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 14, 2008 2:25:21 PM PDT
I first think of Mercedes and BMW, then I think of Wagner and Kurt Weill and Mahler and Brecht and Wedekind and those delicious cookies bathed in the powdered sugar whose name escapes me.

Precision, intelligence and unadulterated glorious music are what come to mind when I think of Germany, and finally, the sound of the german language is unmistakeable, unique and beautiful.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 15, 2008 11:14:20 AM PDT
Yo says:
What percentage of Germans would accept a black or Asian person with German citizenship as a real "German?" How many persons of Turkish ancestry have been elected to political office in Germany? I'm not sure that there is more racism in America ....

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 18, 2008 7:18:22 AM PDT
I think of my early relatives that came from Germany to the US in the 1800's

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 18, 2008 7:40:13 PM PDT
Ladibugg says:
D) - The place where I was born and as well as my father and mother and brother. I think of beautiful scenery and lovely, warm people who love to have a good time and good laugh. I think of my ancestors.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2008 2:50:09 PM PST
What comes up first when _I_ hear "Germany"? The land itself and its beauty. Secondly, I think of the people, the culture, the language, and the music.

However, when I _hear_ "Germany", it's typically in the context of people more or less German-bashing. Even today, people the world over are eating up (and regurgitating) 65-year-old Anglo-American propaganda and don't even realize it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2008 1:47:01 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 14, 2008 1:49:37 PM PST
Brad J. says:
I would have to say C, mainly for Beethoven and Goethe. Those people who utter such German-bashing propaganda today have probably never approached the flourishing culture that existed for centuries before Hitler. I also think of Austrian culture, particularly Rainer Maria Rilke and W. A. Mozart, particularly his "Die Zauberflote." And to think people thought German was too harsh a language for singing! Put in the "Ode to Joy."

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2008 4:12:05 PM PST
Peekablue says:
I guess I would have to say "all of the above." I think of many things when I hear "Germany." For one thing, it is my heritage. I'm 3/4 German-American & I'm very proud of that heritage. Too many people don't know where their ancestors came from. I have studied the language, history, & culture of Germany, so there really isn't just one thing that comes immediately to mind.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Germany forum (7 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Euro vs.dollar 0 Apr 14, 2016
Germanophiles 204 Oct 23, 2015
Buying on Germany without creditcard 0 Oct 6, 2015
Ordering Kindle Books from Amazon.de 1 Feb 5, 2015
ordering from amazon germany 31 Dec 23, 2014
Poll 62 Nov 18, 2010
German History 0 Feb 5, 2010

This discussion

Discussion in:  Germany forum
Participants:  47
Total posts:  63
Initial post:  Jan 13, 2008
Latest post:  Nov 18, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 13 customers

Search Customer Discussions