Customer Discussions > Gift Idea forum

Gift for Boyfriend's Mom!!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 43 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 13, 2008 8:22:09 PM PST
C. Epting says:
My b/f's mom loves books, but I feel getting a book (that she may not like) and a gift card are too impersonal! She also is a fan of coffee. That's all I know about her. (Except her gift of gab...which probably isn't helpful!)
Any ideas?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2008 8:26:38 PM PST
Joy B. says:
I've been the boyfriend's mom in this scenerio several times. Don't sell the gift card short. I love them. I spend them on things I wouldn't otherwise buy. I love Starbuck's gift cards! I bought a french press with my last one.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2008 8:49:02 PM PST
Keri D. says:
How about making your own gift basket (which would show some effort and thought) with flavored coffees, a comfy throw or blanket and maybe some thick slipper socks and a gift card to a bookstore and a book mark? You could explain that you don't know what she's already read or what she likes to read, but the basket gets her set up for a nice day off to cuddle up with a good book......

I heard this type of suggestion at work a couple years ago and have tweaked it several times for the person. You can change up the personalized basket with homemade hot chocolate mix, teas, coffees, beers and wines and add popcorn, cookies or other snack foods. Then you can do books, CDs, DVDs or movie rental or book store gift cards. Wine glasses, beer glasses, or mugs work well too. And always the blanket (so many stores have great sales on them.) Do an appropriate combination on those items for each person/family that you buy for (and if they have a fireplace, add a firelog).

Basically, you're giving all the makings of getting comfy for a nice day or night spent in with drinks and snacks and a favorite activity. (The movie one works great for couples with young kids too. And if you're inclined to spend more for everyone, add PJs.)

Sorry to get off of your topic for a minute, but this idea has been a lifesaver when you want to show effort and thought, but only know a little bit about the recipient. So far, people have liked that I hit their personalities so well when I've done this basket for them (and I use Christmas-themed baskets that they can add to their Christmas decorations), so your boyfriend's mother may just appreciate that you put some thought into the few things that you do know she likes and made an effort a little beyond the gift card.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2008 9:15:41 PM PST
Athenart says:
How about a coffee table book about coffee or a non-fiction book about the history of coffee, startbucks, etc.?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2008 9:44:29 PM PST
E. C. says:
I've never known too much about my bf's mom either but she sounds a lot like your bf mom but over time I also saw she loved sometimes giving jewelry as a gift and she wears different gold necklaces and watched and so I just got her a nice cute simple gold 14k bracelet or about 30 bucks ..so try a simple pretty piece of jewelry.... she is a girl lol.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2008 10:46:38 AM PST
B. MacCoy says:
Go to stumptowncoffee.com and order fresh whole bean coffee. There are tasting notes for every coffee to help find the characteristics you want!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2008 12:24:52 PM PST
Try a homecooked meal with her, Yourself and yourboyfriend. If you don't know much about her, She must not know much about you. This will give you both a great chance to learn more about each other, You may even get closer together, Not so much bond, But at least find common interests and become more friendly

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2008 12:46:29 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 14, 2008 12:47:28 PM PST
L. Hartranft says:
The basket is a great idea! Someone told me to do that years ago for a similar situation and it IS a lifesaver. People really appreciate the time, thought and effort put into it and hey, who doesn't like getting a basket full of stuff?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2008 12:52:12 PM PST
Keri D.,
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I have several "hard-to-buy-for" relatives and truly appreciate your wonderful suggestion. I hope you have a wonderful holiday!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2008 4:20:11 PM PST
E. C. says:
Great idea .... people keep saying coffee coffee but that's so safe IMO.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2008 8:50:37 PM PST
Puddlefish says:
While jewelry seems like a great idea, there are too many variables. Does she like gold or silver? Elegant or playful? If you get earrings, does she even have her ears pierced? I can't count how many times I've gotten jewelry I'd never pick for myself because someone meant well, but simply doesn't know my style. I appreciate the thought, but I now have a bunch of jewelry lying around that I never wear.

I would go with the gift basket idea.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2008 9:21:44 PM PST
If she loves books and keeps a library a custom stamp or embosser- "from the library of..."
Personalized gifts are great and easy with sites like paper source. Good luck!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2008 9:43:26 PM PST
spa day

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2008 1:02:57 PM PST
K. Madden says:
You could get her a subscription to Imbibe Magazine which always has something interesting about coffee...and other drinks. Maybe eventually you'll find a perfect cocktail to share with each other!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2008 2:04:53 PM PST
Melissa says:
A gift card for Books A Million would get two in one...books and coffee (they have a joe mugs coffee inside ours). You may need to break them up if JM doesn't honor the BAM card.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2008 4:00:30 PM PST
I just bought an open topped tote bag from LL Bean for each member of my nursing staff. Each had their initials, They loved them. I am the mother of a BF and I would love that gift. If you want to throw in a gift card for a book and a pair of cashmere socks you can date my son!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2008 5:21:09 PM PST
What about a gift certificate to a spa (mani and pedi) with a note in the box saying that you would love to take her there for some 'girl time'. Might as well get to know her in a non threatening enviornment. You wont be able to do much talking at the spa and followed by a nice QUICK lunch at a local eatery if time/budget/her personality permit

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2008 5:41:55 PM PST
Starbucks has a ton of awesome coffee gifts every year. most under $20. i hear theyre having a 20% off sale right now too. they have giftpacks with coffee samples, mugs, biscotti, chocolates, etc. a gift any coffee loving mom would really enjoy!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2008 7:52:12 PM PST
E. C. says:
By far best recommendation that has nada to do with coffee.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2008 10:20:17 PM PST
mad shopper says:
Many of us adults have everything already. Border's bookstore gift cards...they are loved by coffee loving readers everywhere. Don't sell it short. It's all my own mother ever wants. She meets her gfs at Borders for coffee and always picks up books she's interested in reading that I would never know about. And everytime she stops to enjoy herself there (at the Borders in Honolulu) she calls me (in Los Angeles) to thank me.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2008 6:40:24 PM PST
J. Johnson says:
Your boyfriend's Mom sounds like me. I would steer clear of Starbucks coffee. Not everyone who likes coffee likes Starbucks. You could get different flavors of coffee or different flavored creamers (if she likes creamer) and gift certificate for book stores such as borders or Barnes and Noble. I like the gift basket idea. I love curling up with a good book on a cold day, so a cushy blanket, candles, chocolates (if she likes them) would be good in a basket.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2009 9:10:59 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 10, 2009 9:12:09 AM PDT
J. Martinez says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Mar 10, 2009 8:02:32 PM PDT
Buy consumables - almost everybody has too much stuff already. Coffee, chocolate, wine, liqueurs, a spa gift certificate, fancy soaps. Anything that she'll use, enjoy and not have to keep around.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2009 8:25:47 PM PDT
grandma says:
I think this is the best idea of all.
As a mom, I would not only enjoy all that but feel the effort put into it and really appreciate it.

Posted on Mar 11, 2009 7:16:45 PM PDT
Aunt Terry says:
A basket full of edibles is wonderful......she can enjoy muchies while reading her favorite book/magazine. Ask her son to help pick them out......Great idea D.R. Maxwell!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Gift Idea forum

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Gift Idea forum
Participants:  39
Total posts:  43
Initial post:  Dec 13, 2008
Latest post:  Apr 21, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions