Customer Discussions > Gift Idea forum

Gifts For A Deployed Soldier

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 139 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 4, 2008 3:43:40 AM PDT
Dennis Cohen says:
I'm pretty sure most people here know a soldier that is currently deployed. What suggestions do you have for purchases for them him/her.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2008 8:27:13 AM PDT
Beaker says:
I have a nephew who was deployed in Iraq. There is a web site that is designed to ship gifts to soldiers who are currently deployed. I do not have the information right at had but will try to get it from my sister, and will post it once I have it. One of the things that I remember the site recommending is nuts and 'trail mixes'

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2008 11:20:59 AM PDT
Laura Covert says:
baby wipes, lotions , athlete's foot cream any type of toiletries are in great need.tank tops/muscle shirts and other types of underwear cookies or other food items that might keep for about 2 months time as shipping times are not good

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2008 11:45:44 AM PDT
J. Simon says:
Go to the website: www.anysoldier.com. They have lists of what to send and what not to send.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2008 4:31:09 PM PDT
Marianne G. says:
My husband is currently in Iraq so I have been shipping lots of boxes to him. I send him candy and junk food to share and books and DVDs/magazines. Another suggestion that they would love; if you have a DVD burner hooked up to your TV, record some of the new programming coming out. They don't really get a lot of TV beyond the news.
The US Post office has a great flat rate shipping box that is a good size and when you ship to APO/FPO you get $2 off their regular rate. So basically you can stuff it as full as you want with as much weight as you want for $10.95!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2008 9:48:29 PM PDT
HC says:
For an actual gift I have sent a mini DVD player. Actually something like a PSP where they can play games AND watch movies is something that my friend really appreciated. If they are in the desert be SURE to get them a protective case to keep sand out of the unit. I hear the sandstorms are quite nasty.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2008 2:45:32 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 5, 2008 2:48:19 AM PDT
L. Rinaudot says:
I've been in Iraq for almost 8 months now...and most of what the other people have said are good...All the bases have different rules...the few that I have been to don't allow civilian clothes unless your in your room...but if you have to leave to go to the bathroom or anything you have to put some kind of military uniform on (so I dont suggest much civilian clothes).
I am a female and we love getting things to remind us that even though we sweat every day and get really nasty were still females...so for us smell good lotions, shampoos, conditioner (which is sometimes really hard to buy here), body sprays are really nice....For smell goods for the males...a lot of them like Axe body products.
If you have a family member...local newspaper clippings or the comics are nice...if they have a laptop and don't have a webcam those are wonderful! The portable DVD, PSP, IPOD video...like the other person suggested are great...we dont have much to do on our downtime....If you can burn disks...that can give us hours of stuff to watch.
Generic things to send are fun/game books, magazines, candy (though chocolate doesn't ship well in the summer months here), snacks, flavored water packets (Kool-aid, Crystal Lights, etc), stationary, pens....anything to excite our day to day here
Hope this helps some...and just to receive anything from home is a special treat!!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2008 7:20:02 AM PDT
J. UBERT says:
Same as above poster, I have been downrange for a while. Junk food that is hard to get here (like a favorite brand of caramel popcorn, pickles, cheese, or other edibles), the newest music/video games in their favorite genre, family/friend pics, and portable game systems are all no-brainers. For the deployed parent, especially one with younger kids, a mini-dvd camcorder is a really nice (but expensive!) idea.

I wouldn't worry too much about movies, unless the Soldier requests something specifically. There are a lot of burned movies floating around over here. If your Soldier has a favorite TV show, DVR it and send a copy. It is absolutely impossible to get the next episode of "House" here! Hope this helps!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2008 7:59:51 AM PDT
Grace Porch says:
WOuld you or your friends be interested in a care package? My nephew just graduated from boot camp but won't deploy until next year so I need some practice - and girly smell good things are easy to find and i can just imagine how you enjoy those there!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2008 9:11:20 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 5, 2008 9:13:49 AM PDT
Melisa Moore says:
I have a friend named Warren that just got sent to Afghanistan. I bought him a Sterling Silver St. Christopher/Army medal from http://www.cross-pendants-online.com He seemed to like it, and it makes me feel better to think he might have a little protection... He also has a Jerusalem Cross pendant, but he was a little worried about displaying that one in front of the locals...

I guess I should be thinking about sending him more "consumable" presents, too...

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2008 12:28:07 PM PDT
Hi,
I am one of those people that does'nt know anyone in the military but would love to help out. Where do I get this information.
Barb Welty

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2008 1:01:34 PM PDT
I would love to send you and your buddies goodies. But where and addressed to who! I don't know anyone in the military but bring on the infor where, what, and who.
Barbara Welty
jimtowntwo@yahoo.com

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2008 10:37:50 AM PDT
Oregongirl says:
The most well received gift I ever bought a soldier was Gold Bond powder. Not very elaborate I know but VERY appreciated. I think I sent the one for feet/boots.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2008 1:01:26 PM PDT
Thank you that's what I need
Barb Welty

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2008 1:08:16 PM PDT
Hi Dennis,

I work at a veterans organization and many times we get letters from soldiers asking for calling cards, Movies, Music (CD's/DVD's) books and magazines, Maybe they would even line a subscription of their favorite team...you know football season is beginning. But I'm sure they will appreciate whatever you send.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2008 1:10:34 PM PDT
Many thanks I will follow through
Barbara Welty

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2008 2:42:23 PM PDT
I CAN TELL YOU FROM MY EXPERIENCE OVER THERE 4 TIMES, THAT A REALLY NICE SOFT SHEET MADE THE DIFFERENCE FOR ME, AT LEAST AS SLEEPING COMFORTABLY GOES. A NICE, REAL HIGH THREAD COUNT, SHEET AND PILLOW CASE.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2008 3:16:01 PM PDT
Thank you I will get right on that. I have never read about sheets being the item to send. Do you have a person, name etc I could focues on.
Thank you for everything you are doing to keep peace
Barbara`Welty

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2008 5:03:00 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 7, 2008 5:09:06 PM PDT
I ship "care packages" to my stepson, and I just asked him what he wanted. He asked for a season's worth of his favorite TV show, candy bars, cookies, family photos, etc. I also throw in magazines (Sports Illustrated is a big hit), chapstick, Raiders' stuff (his team), stuff about border collies (his dog), postcards of where his dad and I have been, and so forth. We are working on a retrospective collection of photos from when he was younger--he'll love that. Current photos from things back home are also appreciated. Good luck!

P.S. I forgot to mention Goldfish, the crackers.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2008 9:28:52 PM PDT
S. Daniel says:
my hubby is in iraq right now.
he asks for
baby wipes
t.paper
energy bars
tea
tuna in pouches lol
books or mags
games for his psp
movies

hand held game systems are great for dep. soldiers by the way

pictures
mp3 player
jerky
and of course letters from home ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 8, 2008 1:13:55 PM PDT
I winder if GOLD BOND know how much our troops use there product. I will get on the Internet and tell them maybe we can get some kind of deal or get them to send some!
Who knows
Thank you
Barbara Welty

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 8, 2008 1:15:08 PM PDT
What a great idea
I will get right on it
Thanks
Barb Welty

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 8, 2008 1:16:57 PM PDT
My husband subscribes to many car magazines so I will have him go through his stash and get them opn the way
Thank you
Barbara Welty

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 8, 2008 1:18:37 PM PDT
I am getting sooooooooo many great sugestion for the right things to send. Thank you everyone
Barbara Welty

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 10, 2008 8:40:08 AM PDT
My husband said what he enjoyed the most was home videos and pictures. He missed all the first with our daughter but enjoyed at least seeing her on dvd grow and celebrate her first steps, birthday, etc. Soldiers like to have reminders of the loved ones back home that appreciate their service to our country. Also sending them stuff to tack/stick there photos up or albums to put them in. Little notes on the back of photos are nice too. Another thing I found out about doing but my husband had already returned was to take pictures of your little ones doing their daily routine or if you don't have little ones or this is your little one who is deployed, take pics of your daily routine. I also signed up for a month by month update on developmental stages of our baby and would forward them to him (babycenter.com). It gave us something to focus on and talk about when he called besides how much we missed each other. I hope this helps.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums
Discussion Replies Latest Post
Calling all football fans! 2294 28 minutes ago
What are you reading now? 2355 41 minutes ago
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays 14 1 hour ago
The Top Twenty? 0 2 hours ago
The OFFICIAL Bittersweet Thread 8451 6 hours ago
Guy Fawkes yourself! 13 7 hours ago
What are you listening to? 2517 7 hours ago
Books for Friends 435 8 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Gift Idea forum
Participants:  112
Total posts:  139
Initial post:  Sep 4, 2008
Latest post:  Jul 10, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 20 customers

Search Customer Discussions