Customer Discussions > Gift Idea forum

What age do you stop buying nieces/nephews gifts?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 213 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 16, 2011 5:36:24 AM PST
Sam says:
I have neices and nephews ages from 3-19? I have always bought gifts for them all thier life and now that they are 18 adn 19 I feel like I am done - any thoughts on this? I sent thier younger siblings gifts this year adn did not get them anything - should I acknowlwdge that they are too old now or just leave it alone?

Posted on Dec 16, 2011 5:50:20 AM PST
GreeneyedKat says:
I don't know, I guess its a personal choice. I give my teenager nieces and nephews $15 Itunes gift cards. Its simple, easy and they love it.

Posted on Dec 16, 2011 5:50:56 AM PST
D. Sandquist says:
imagine how this would make them feel they have always got something and now they just dont get anything? if you were going to stop doing gifts you should stop at a certain age, say 19. so you would still need to send the 18 year old one if the 19 year old got one last year. Younger adults even dont understand why they just would be left out. also i would explain to the oldest why they arent getting anything.

Posted on Dec 16, 2011 6:09:42 AM PST
Windeebyrd says:
Do you stop sending your brothers or sisters gifts?? I don't you can replace the gifts with money after a certain age, but don't stop sending everything all together. $10 Or $20 bucks once a year to each niece or nephew is not going to break someone (unless they are related to the Dugards-LOL)

Posted on Dec 16, 2011 8:13:21 AM PST
L. Newquist says:
My niece and nephews are in their 30's, married, and have children. I still buy for all of them, and the gifts are inexpensive. We all seem to enjoy gift exchanging at Christmas, so keeping the price down on the purchases seems to work out for all.

Posted on Dec 16, 2011 8:50:16 AM PST
A. Friend says:
I stopped when they started having children of their own that I now buy for. But in our family one side we had polyannas with the kids and only bought for a godson. so once they "aged out" of the polly that was it.., and the other side, we bought gifts, if we were going to see them.. and we don't send birthday gifts unless we will see them or a special age.. everyone does it a bit differently. Don't feel bad about doing something or not. Go with what you are comfortable with. But personally, if you can financially swing it...there's not a 18-20something I know who doesn't want a little cash in a card! Merry Christmas!

Posted on Dec 16, 2011 9:23:29 AM PST
When they were born and up until they were 7 or 8 I automatically sent gifts to all my nieces

Posted on Dec 16, 2011 9:33:26 AM PST
How sad. You've clearly "buying" them gifts out of some sort of "obligation" rather than love. why dont you give them something from your heart this year? something handmand like a card or cookies, a framed photo of thier mother or father as a child, a coupon redeemable for a one-on-one afternoon outing? gifts from the heart far out shine anything bought out of obligation. Good Luck and Merry Christmas!

Posted on Dec 16, 2011 9:44:15 AM PST
DubStep says:
Never! I'm 26 years old and still get gifts from my Aunts and Uncles. So does my 30 year old sister. They never get old. They just get more exciting. Getting a gift never sucks. Just shoot for more unique gifts OR age inappropriate gifts that can still be fun (RC Helicopters, Nerf Guns, etc.) . My aunt bought me some crazy magnetic putty (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0050C2X7G/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details) and I keep it at my office desk and play with it often. No one will ever fault you for getting a gift.

Posted on Dec 16, 2011 9:51:13 AM PST
In my family we stopped once we got married - but also we never bought for every niece and nephew, that's excessive I think as we had 13 grandkids on one side and 17 on the other. We had one aunt or uncle from each side who gave us a gift each year (godparents if you had them) and once I got married they both explained they were stopping and we just have dinner together every December instead!
I don't think you're buying out of obligation! But it's totally reasonable to stop buying gifts for every single one of them each year, especially if you have kids of your own and DEFINITELY once they have kids of their own!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2011 10:59:17 AM PST
We have all the older cousins pull names, so they buy one present but everyone get's something. The adults do it too for each other (brothers, sisters, in-laws)

I agree, i would cut off at an age... but this is a good transition. Yes, mom ususally had to put the money but it was for only 1 versus all 5 cousins

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2011 11:10:38 AM PST
I guess I would answer your question with my own. At what point do the parents of children step in and say they are now of age to be buying gifts for aunts, grandma, grampa, etc. To treat them like an adult they would like to be treated as. Therefore, the exchange of gifts from them to you would begin as adults.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2011 12:02:03 PM PST
In my family, the cut off age is 18. Once you reach 18, your name goes in the pot for a family gift exchange and each person draws a name. There is also a price limit on the pot, say $20 to $25 dollars. In recent years, it is done this way: we all buy one present, wrap it up (often misleadingly), and pull numbers to see who goes first to pick a present from the pile. It is always a surprise and provides great amusement. There is also a tradition we have that started years back of passing down the "family heirloom", which is really just a hideously tacky object that is re-gifted year after year, and wrapped differently each time to conceal it's identity. I have priceless memories of these traditions and I highly recommend them.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2011 12:16:46 PM PST
juliebug says:
I say that they are never too old! I agree that gift cards are perfect. I buy them to places like I-tunes, Sephora for the older ones, Justice for the younger. Go ahead, and just buy them a little something....

Posted on Dec 16, 2011 12:44:53 PM PST
Sam says:
Thanks everyone for your input! I guess I should have added that I never get a thank you - not a call throughout the year from the 19-year old. On the other hand, my other nephew comes to stay with once usually once a year and we have a relationship. Im sorry, I know the electronic age is now, but when I spend my time to purchase you a nice gift, that I put alot of thought into and ship across the country, a simple thank you card would be so nice. Now that we have Facebook, I may get a generic Thank you on my Wall. The neices and nephews will all be together at grandparents house, so I will send them all a little something. I purchased $10 ITunes card and a box of silly, x-mas candy for each of them. It is not "sad" as one person wrote, but when I am spending close to $200 every christmas, b/c I want to, and then spend another 50 bucks to ship, I would really apprecite a Thank you, hand written card. Thanks all for your advice and feedback. May you have a wonderful holiday season - and --- Dont forget to send THANK YOU CARDS this year! LOL!!!
"

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2011 1:01:28 PM PST
Geo. Peach says:
The last gift I gave/give my nieces and nephews is high school graduation on a regular basis, that is, birthdays & Christmas. There are only two more gift giving occasions remaining; if they graduate from college or get married. In hind sight I would have skipped the first six years (as they don't remember anyway) and gave until age 21.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2011 1:28:52 PM PST
GreeneyedKat says:
I think that sounds perfect. And, yes, I totally understand when your spending $15-$20 each that it adds up quickly...and especially if your not getting any acknowledgement is frustrating. And it is not SAD to expect some basic manors. I always have my kids call the relatives that live out of town to thank them for whatever gift they get.

OH and I do love facebook and yes, you'll probably get a thank you through that venue!

Merry Christmas everyone!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2011 1:59:51 PM PST
Well, I have 9 nieces and nephews youngest is 9 the rest are 18 and up.(one with 2 children and a spouse), + 4 inlaws + their spouses =+2 sets of parents, 1 grandmother, my husband and our OWN 3 children. The money Fairy died. The piggy bank is empty, and We no longer have a working vehicle. I am not doing it this year. I just can't. Every niece/nephew would get a card with $25.00 in it. We just can not swing it this year. Getting gifts is great, sure, but there also comes a tiem when you have to be fiscally responsible and take care of your own. The Christmas's will get leaner and leaner until the economy picks up.....and that isn't looking like it will happen any time soon. Merry Christmas regardless of what you decide.

Posted on Dec 16, 2011 6:52:14 PM PST
Dawn Marie says:
Hard to believe kids don't do the thank you card or call. Hmm. If they are young adults and not acknowledging your last gift that is probably a good indicator of cut-off time. But if the "children' are still living at home especially with younger siblings then its kind of a must do for all. (Amazon Gift cards for the older ones) Younger ones, the parents might have some insight. Have them (parents or kids) put together Amazon Wish Lists. These are great for birthdays/holidays. Personal experience..once the young adult (18+) is "on their own' its a privilege to receive gifts from a special aunt or uncle. Not an obligation on your part.

Posted on Dec 16, 2011 9:05:46 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Dec 16, 2011 10:34:06 PM PST
I have almost 20 nieces and nephews so sorry, the cut off age is 18. I can't afford to buy for all of them AND my own kids. . . even though I wish I could.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2011 11:56:46 PM PST
Do they buy a present for you? If they do, I'd keep going. If they don't, well, that's okay but I think it's your call. Another idea, you could introduce Kris Kringle in your family. That way you all decide whether the neice or nephew are in the gift giving arrangement or not. (so you're not the bad guy, everyone mad the decision, plus it gives them some responsibility as they're now an adult in ttheh family) And everyone gets a higher value gift, and there's WAY less stress... Good luck!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2011 12:22:20 AM PST
K. Appleton says:
Our family has a 22year cut off. After that you are expected to exchange gifts. I will send you one if you are sending me something. (Before 22 all we expect is a thank you card)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2011 7:02:46 AM PST
Lori says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2011 7:26:41 AM PST
D. Mulvihill says:
It's not so much even the thank you that's important to me. I feel that it is ridiculous to keep buying for adults, that make more money than I do. Maybe it may seem that I'm buying "out of obligation" as one reader stated, but at the same time, I feel this generation of kids seem to only expect to receive, but never give. I think we all cater too much to them, and are enablers to their selfish ways at times.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Gift Idea forum
Participants:  152
Total posts:  213
Initial post:  Dec 16, 2011
Latest post:  Nov 14, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 12 customers

Search Customer Discussions