birthday gift for a woman 90 years old

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 192 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 11, 2009 7:00:22 PM PDT
Nina Hardoff says:
any ideas for a 90 year old woman who has all she needs

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 12, 2009 1:43:19 AM PDT
Oregongirl says:
I gave my grandmother the gift of my time. I brought her in a gourmet lunch and sat down with her to record some of her favorite family stories, organized recipes, pictures and momentos. She cried. We both cried several times that afternoon. She had been stewing a bit over leaving her things to family, didn't know how to keep things fair. I mean a will doesn't help, when everyone wants her recipe file.

It ended up taking several afternoons and I still treasure the time, so the gift turned out to be mine too.

Posted on Aug 12, 2009 4:04:10 AM PDT
J.E.C. says:
As my dear mother-in-law got older (she was nearly 95 when she passed), we would all make her gift baskets filled with things she needed - an older person on a fixed income will appreciate gifts of toiletries, kitchen and bath items - put it in a basket or box and add her favorite candy or cookies or whatever. She loved it. If she is able to get out, a lunch or visit to a tea room is a great idea. A family photo for her wall, or if she has any old, treasured photos, have one restored and framed.

Posted on Aug 12, 2009 4:57:36 AM PDT
psychomama says:
You say she has all she needs but nothing further about her so... what about a CD of music to bring back memories? Perhaps a selection of 'Best of's' from her childhood, adolescence, young married life, middle age, etc. Perhaps she's mentioned some music (played at her wedding, danced to during her courtship, criticised by her parents, etc. ) to you or other members of the family that you can start with? It will show you have listened to her reminiscences and considered her tastes. Otherwise, the other ideas above are wonderful and also reflect that she's being treasured. Families, at this age, bear the responsibility of remembering as memory fades and it is important to assure her that her life has contributed to a wider, densely-woven fabric fabric which everyone in the family is invested in sustaining.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 12, 2009 5:45:51 AM PDT
Aviva Lynne says:
Hard to say without knowing more about her and her abilities and your relationship...my aunt turned 90 in July...my mother and I threw a big family birthday party for her...most people who brought gifts brought small items and mostly special food items...just as tokens...my aunt has a hard time with technology anymore and increasingly can't use her computer or cd player so no one wanted to add to her cd collection...she has a hard time getting to the grocery store for snacks that supplement the meals she takes in her retirement community (she is in a community with independent living, assisted living and a nursing home; she is still in independent living but can take meals in the dining hall)...she particularly likes getting different bruchettas and tapandes and crackers....she is having trouble walking so I bought her a really nice rolling walker with a seat to help her remain mobile...I also got a large display poster and put on it photos from all the stages of her life which was a huge hit...and brought back lots of memories...my ex sister-in-law got her a photo album and sat with her one night helping her put in it all the cards she received for her birthday and the photos from the birthday party...think about things you may enjoy together...in the last few years because my mom and aunt are older and my sister and I are in our 50s and also have enough stuff we have been giving each other tickets to plays and concerts and everyone then goes out to a nice dinner beforehand and has a great evening out...does she still entertain? if so, think about getting her some great paper hand towels for the bathroom and other matching paper goods for her style of entertaining....my aunt has bridge parties at her place so this is great for her...and she has a hard time getting to a paper goods store...also maybe think about getting her a stash of greeting cards (birthday, sympathy, get well, blank) so that as events come up she has a stock of cards to choose from...I do this for my mom and it really makes life easier for her...

Posted on Aug 13, 2009 8:23:38 PM PDT
G. Palait says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2009 6:26:06 AM PDT
JLG says:
You are an A--H---! (G.Palait) Are these gifts you deem presentable for members of your family? As a person with elderly parents and relatives I found your response disturbing. I agree with Oregongirl the best gift is time. Listening to stories sharing laughs and tears. One year we gave my dad a memory book conversations were taped. He shared stories of his military service, and his life travels. These things can be passed on to future generation. It's these things that become priceless and are gifts that can be shared by all.....

Posted on Aug 14, 2009 6:44:24 AM PDT
Connie says:
A nice Tea Kettle.

Posted on Aug 14, 2009 10:11:31 AM PDT
A. Soule says:
I am NOT trying to be flippant here- but I was thinking of getting my 83rd old mother a boyfriend! :) That is...a companion. You should see how she lights up when the Meals on Wheels person is a man, or when my husband takes her out by herself and holds her hand. Don't count out the need to be flirted with!! :) So I was thinking of hiring a companion to come by a few times a week and play cards, or take her on a drive by the scenic spots. An elderly lady may have a full or parttime nurse already, but having someone come by "just for fun" is a great thing if you don't live nearby and have the money to do this.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2009 6:17:06 PM PDT
Island Girl says:
A. Soule,

RE: "I was thinking of getting my 83rd old mother a boyfriend!"

I LOVE that! What a good daughter!

I've been spending time at one of the local nursing homes visiting a neighbor, and have noticed that the residents all seem to wear some type of cardigans or sweaters. Maybe the A/C combined with inactivity makes them a little colder. How about a down, fleece, or cotton throw for those afternoon snoozes?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 15, 2009 10:16:21 AM PDT
Spuds Lady says:
Check to see if there are any volunteers in your area. Here we have people that do that. If she belongs to a chuch contact them. Also look for a seniors center, my grand loves her's.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 15, 2009 10:20:18 AM PDT
Spuds Lady says:
Take the recipes to an office supply store they can copy the recipes and make them in to books for every one. Great story!

Posted on Aug 16, 2009 8:17:46 AM PDT
N. Aviles says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 16, 2009 1:04:38 PM PDT
Spuds Lady says:
How cold and heartless. What if it was your grand?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 17, 2009 10:46:17 AM PDT
R. See says:
You might consider a nice hand crafted quilt and spending some time with her ... sit close to her and hold her hand while you talk.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 17, 2009 11:11:36 AM PDT
Spuds Lady says:
I like that idea. My grand could not read, so she could not bake. She would get cake mix and I would make it for her. She loved sweets.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 17, 2009 5:34:00 PM PDT
Ayelet says:
How about making a photo book? You can add a lot of family pictures and everybody can add a few words. There are many places where they do stuff like that, try http://www.digi-labs.net/ - they did a good job for me.

Posted on Aug 17, 2009 5:53:41 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 17, 2009 5:55:42 PM PDT
J. Westwind says:
When I worked in convalescent hospitals, one of the things the older people really appreciated were knee-high socks -- they tended to get cold feet and legs.

Please don't be offended by this -- I don't know how alert this 90 yr old is.
There were a couple of older ladies at the hospital who missed having a pet -- when they were given realistic plush animals, they held them on their laps and petted them -- they seemed to take comfort in them.

Posted on Aug 17, 2009 6:17:21 PM PDT
Alex S says:
It depends on how alert and active the 90 year old woman is. Lots of differences. Some have vision and hearing issues. You said she "has everything," so things probably don't matter.

What I have found most want is TIME. It gets awfully lonely when you get that age and most of your friends are gone. Everyone wants to tell their story just one more time ... and have someone listen to it. (Well, sometimes you get to hear the story more than once, but that's part of the gift.)

Love, hugs, and sharing a meal, much more important than anything else.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 17, 2009 6:42:34 PM PDT
Island Girl says:
Grandma Aubbie,

Re: "It depends on how alert and active the 90 year old woman is. Lots of differences."

So true. I know a couple of 90 years olds who would like a plane ticket to Vegas.

The chance to tell their story--absolutely. Great post!

Posted on Aug 18, 2009 12:19:44 PM PDT
The gift of time is a wonderful gift under the right circumstances. Since I always spent a lot of time with my grandmother, and my family wanted to go in on a gift together when she was approaching her 95th birthday, we got her a Year of Flowers subscription, in which a lovely bouquet would be shipped to her each month. Not something she needed, just a nice way to brighten up her home and her day.

Posted on Aug 18, 2009 1:54:12 PM PDT
K Haffke says:
I've gotten my grandmother a flower of the month membership and she loved it. Every month she wold send me a picture of the flowers and tell me how much she liked them.

My grandmother is 85 and I got her a "Grandmother Remembers" book a few years ago where she can record memories of me and my parents. I had forgotten about it. When my Grandfather passed, she had some more free time since she wasn't taking care of him and she finished the book and gave it to me last year for Christmas. What a great surprise. She even was able to find special pictures of just the two of us along with some family recipes, stories and history that I didn't know. The best part is that it is all done in her own shaky handwriting.

Since my own grandmas do not live close, I have adopted one who loves when I come over once a month and cook for her. she loves not only the company, but a good meal with enough leftovers that she can put in the freezer for several more meals. I wrap everything up in single serving packages.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 18, 2009 2:32:43 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 18, 2009 2:33:35 PM PDT]

Posted on Aug 18, 2009 3:40:14 PM PDT
D. A. Insley says:
Find out her exact birthdate and see if you can find a newspaper from that day, or maybe just articles of news from that day/ year. I say this coming from a family of history buffs.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 18, 2009 4:21:39 PM PDT
Ayelet says:
This is a GREAT idea! My mom gets this gift of the front page of a newspaper to older relatives and they always love it!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Gift Idea forum
Participants:  148
Total posts:  192
Initial post:  Aug 11, 2009
Latest post:  24 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 14 customers

Search Customer Discussions