Customer Discussions > Gift Idea forum

Gift suggestions for SAME-SEX wedding couple...?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 79 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Aug 26, 2008 5:02:34 PM PDT
T. Baird says:
Same thing you'd get any other coupe for their wedding. Same sex doesn't make a bit of difference in your dillemma.

I know how you feel, though. My poppas (two married men) have everything. So, I generally make them something... or get something that looks handcrafted. They collect those funny little glass blown frogs. They love sculptures in wood (pardon the pun). I generally cruise the art fairs, flea markets and swap meets and find really interesting works of art. Just the other day, a little girl was selling her paintings (with her mom) on the boardwalk for $1 a piece. They were funny little water colors, but they were really very good! So I bought a bunch of them, lol!

With gifts, it doesn't matter. For my best friends wedding, I am buying a Japanese puzzle box and sticking $200 in it. I know they want/need money, but I don't want to be unoriginal about it! So, I'm buying the box, then in the card, I am telling them that they have to figure out how to open the puzzle box with a prize inside... but directions are taped in a little envelope with the card in case they need to cheat.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 27, 2008 7:55:51 AM PDT
Jack Johnson says:
As a gay couple who just got married after almost forty years together, our invitations requested no gifts since we have everything we need or if we don't we go and buy it for ourselves. Most people complied with the request but of course others did not. We really appreciated the cards because we knew that people had to really search for appropriate cards for two grooms. Other friends brought nice wine which is always very much appreciated. One thing that we did for ourselves that might be a good gift idea would be a frame for the marriage certificate. We had ours customed framed but a nice purchased frame would be appreciated. The California marriage certificates are 8 1/2 by 11 so an 8x10 frame won't work. Other picture frame and albums are also appreciated and are very nice when engraved with the names and date. You should stay away from the more frilly ones used for heterosexual events. My traditional wedding gift for all couples is a pair of champagne flutes in their crystal pattern. A good alternative is a pair of silverplated ones engrave with the names and date. But truly, just the presence of our friends at the reception was the best possible gift.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 27, 2008 10:45:32 AM PDT
This might be a little late but, even if they have a stocked kitchen Penzey's Spices has some great gift boxes that include unordinary herb mixes and rubs. Its our fall back for anyone who loves to cook or grill. They also come neatly packaged with herbs as filler instead of paper or foam.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 27, 2008 3:02:21 PM PDT
P. Selph says:
I "inherited" some Penzey's spices from a college roomie and WOW - I treasured them above all other spices in the memory of how awesome my roomie was. And then I saw the catalog. Top of the line spices - without a doubt!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 27, 2008 6:50:17 PM PDT
C. Burr says:
I just attended the nuptials of my sister in law and her partner in Massachusetts. What do you get an established couple in their 50's? I beautiful windchime from "woodstock chimes". Perfect for an outfoor patio or porch. Doesn't eveyone in California enjoy the outdoors? I know I did when I lived there.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 28, 2008 5:16:12 AM PDT
Your suggestion of PET SITTING for the (gay) couple is quite PERFECT! They have a 100-lb Otterhound named Athena and a 20 lb. black cat called Critter. Both animals are accustomed to being "jailed" by their vet as the need arises for the couple to be out of town (like at their wedding in San Francisco!). A pet sitter would certainly be a welcome gift. THANK YOU FOR A GREAT IDEA!

Actually, I am very impressed and even humbled by the kind, thoughtful and loving responses to my original question about a wedding gift for a same-sex couple. You guys are wonderful. Keep your ideas coming!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 28, 2008 9:37:53 AM PDT
You're right; Cash is crass. The couple has already been together for 24 years...they are about to have a silver aniversary, eh? I'd say something nice and silver. If they are close family to you, I suggest getting something silver and engraved. If not so; a nice silver picture frame or something ornemental... And for some reason I was thinking a quilt at first. Quilts are great wedding gifts, but if the couple has been together already they probably already have one.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 28, 2008 11:52:48 AM PDT
Mom Sam says:
Great ideas. Dinner at a really good restaurant or a get-a-way weekend.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 28, 2008 3:22:04 PM PDT
For a friend's wedding a group of us gathered photos from various ages (babyhood to current age) and made a "This is your life" dvd with background music appropriate to the pictures. Since they've been together for awhile you could include photos from their relationship milestones and ending with a mock-up of wedding license or a black screen with the wedding date and something like "A new chapter begins" underneath.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 28, 2008 9:12:38 PM PDT
Turquoise says:
I always give a twister game for wedding present, even when the couple was older (over 50) it is cute, sexy and something not too many people have.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2008 5:15:05 AM PDT
Shelley says:
Mike,

I also had a rough time trying to figure out what to get for a couple of our good friends getting married. As they also had everything. I ended up video taping their special day for the two of them. It's a gift that captures a very special one time event. And can be enjoyed by the couple, friends and family. For many, many years.

Our best wishes to your friends. For another 24 years of happiness.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2008 9:42:28 AM PDT
You say they have every kitchen gadget, but here are a few more unusual ones that they might not have:

Do they like tea? If so, consider one of the Zojirushi electric dispensing pots (also called water boilers and warmers). These items heat the water to different temperatures (tea afficionados say that different teas require different temperatures) and hold the water at that temperature. I bought one for myself last year and every tea lover I know loves it and wants one for themselves. Alternatively, there are some great tea shops in SF (as in, places that sell loose-leaf tea to take home); try Vital Tea Leaf (1044 Grant Ave., 415.981.2388, or vitaltleaf.com) for some truly excellent teas. If you want to throw in some wit, I am sure you could come up with some puns to go along with that gift.

Or, if your friends like rice, try one of the Zojirushi rice cookers. I own the Zojirushi NS-ZCC18 Neuro Fuzzy Rice Cooker and wouldn't part with it. After years of using a much less expensive rice cooker, I can say that the Zojirushi is worth every penny. As a joke, you could say it is something for them to use to cook all the rice thrown at their wedding. (Even if no rice was thrown, that's still a good joke!)

Or, try a genuine ice cream maker, like the stainless-steel Lello 4080 Musso Lussino 1.5-Quart Ice Cream Maker (throw in Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream recipe cookbook as a bonus).

If they have all of these items, then their kitchen is truly well-stocked! In that case, I like the idea of the night or weekend away (Mt. Madonna comes to mind, or somewhere up the north coast in Mendocino county). Or, for witty--isn't there some place in the Santa Cruz Mountains that has highly--and wierdly--decorated rooms, each with a different "theme"? Or did that place close?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2008 1:31:04 PM PDT
A pair of key chain Swiss Army Knives, in the same color...or their favorite colors

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 30, 2008 8:22:18 PM PDT
S. Moss says:
T., I think your first sentence is key. When I got married to my SAME-SEX partner, I wanted what I would have wanted if I married an OPPOSITE-SEX partner. That is, a wedding gift. . . personalized to who we are as individuals and as a couple. I think "gay" gifts are insulting and the rainbows and donations are nice, but only if that is what the couple would really want.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 31, 2008 5:18:43 PM PDT
Buy them a really nice phote album.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 31, 2008 5:19:39 PM PDT
Nice idea!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 31, 2008 5:21:50 PM PDT
I don't know what kinds of things they like, but maybe a gorgeous handmade quilt would be nice.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 31, 2008 7:48:50 PM PDT
I wish that people would get away from the notion that "cash is crass." If they don't share the same spiritual/metaphysical beliefs you do, you could come across as pushing your dogma. And if they truly have everything material, the cash can be spent to pay for the ceremony, or purchase a weekend away at a resort that THEY want, or purchase that special bottle of 1995 Krug Clos Ambonnay Champagne. You will be more appreciated for what you contributed to, rather than something that you are guessing they might appreciate.

And don't get gift certificates. They get lost, they are impersonal, and some of them depreciate over time. Go to the bank and get crisp, new bills.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 1, 2008 6:33:49 AM PDT
R. Martz says:
My favorite wedding gifts for couples same-or-different sex: A croquet set! (a groom whom I knew only slightly tracked me down at a party to tell me that they will never forget who gave them that gift) or....Matching monogrammed robes! (shlepped a pair to Slovenia this spring for a wedding)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 2, 2008 8:48:02 AM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 2, 2008 8:56:56 AM PDT
Sez you, Emilie. They are both proud and happy atheists, having come to the adult understanding long ago that religion is the most dangerous thing ever invented by the mind of man. But you go and have yourself a happy little life in what you'd like everyone to believe is a dress rehearsal. So happy to report that your religion isn't my government. But thank you for your suggestion of a book. Just perhaps not that one. Maybe Dr. Carl Sagan's "The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark," which takes religion to the cleaners. Except they've already got an autographed copy.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 2, 2008 6:34:38 PM PDT
R. Frechette says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 2, 2008 8:15:18 PM PDT
Rose Marie says:

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 2, 2008 9:47:40 PM PDT
Funny thing is many same sex couples are religious. That's why they make commit to be married. Some like the bible; but some also like the Torah, Qur' an, various eastern religious philosophies, etc. I think religion based gifts should be given with the recipient in mind. If they are atheist; a bible would be a bad idea. Does the couple enjoy traditional or more eclectic and creative decor? I'm a believer in home-made gifts. They seem more personal to me and giving a gift really is more for the giver. It's a chance to show you appreciate someone. Whatever you get, personal is better.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 2, 2008 11:19:44 PM PDT
bebe mama says:
I don't know if anyone has suggested it, but a beautiful picture frame either in crystal (Waterford) or silver is always a great idea. They can place they photo of their happy day in it and always think of you when they see it.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Gift Idea forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Gift Idea forum
Participants:  64
Total posts:  79
Initial post:  Aug 15, 2008
Latest post:  Nov 10, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 9 customers

Search Customer Discussions