Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Gift Idea forum

what do you get for a 13 yr. old girl these days?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 45 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 16, 2008 10:56:58 AM PST
Any ideas? I haven't a clue!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2008 3:19:31 PM PST
Nanny says:
Digital camera

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2008 3:32:39 PM PST
J. Mueller says:
Get her a copy of "The Heavenly Man" book by Brother Yun, and then observe how her life changes for the better. You will never be the same after reading it also.

Happy reading!

jm

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2008 7:36:04 PM PST
I also have a 13 yr old daughter. Moody little beings, aren't they? Honestly, if she doesn't have an MP3 player, you cannot go wrong with that. I bought my daughter a SanDisk MP3 player (off Buy.com...sorry Amazon, but their MP3 prices are WAAAAY better!) that's 4 gig (holds lots of songs), plus room for a storage card that'll add space. It also downloads videos, movies, etc....plays FM radio & records voice.
Another good idea is getting a cool makeup case & stocking it with all the latest & greatest colors, kinds, etc. I did that last year & she's had so much fun with it.
Aeropostale (FYI, you cannot swing a dead cat in a mall without hitting one) is a big hit with 13-18 year olds. Clothing (hoodies in particular) are real big from there & very reasonably priced (unlike similar shops - Abercrombie/Hollister).
A cell phone is a good idea....I go through MetroPCS (they have unlimited calls/texting for $40 a month plus for $4 a month they offer GPS so I can log online & see wherever she goes) & got her a Qwerty phone. Other than her thumbs falling off, she loves it. PLUS I can keep in touch with her 24/7.
For the active 13 year old, if you have a sports facility nearby, get a gift membership - i got one for my daughter & she loves the rock climbing stuff there.
Gift cards - cannot go wrong. At this age, they like to pick out their own clothes. If she's alternative, try Hot Topic...if she likes more girly stuff, Charlotte Russe or Forever 21....sporty stuff, Aeropostale.

Good luck! :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2008 8:32:13 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2008 8:35:59 PM PST
My middle school aged daughter likes:

Toe socks
Claire's Gift cards (jewelry/accessories store)
Any clothing from Aeropostle, Abercrombie, American Eagle, Hollister (I agree with above poster about Hoodies)
iTunes Gift card
Cell phone prepaid (if you agree with it)
PlasmaCar
Vera Bradley purses and accessories
Wii games (Outdoor challenge, Wii Play, etc)

Book suggestions: Lies Young Women Believe, Do Tough Things (for young Christians)

Hope that helps!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2008 9:08:38 PM PST
Liz says:
How about a Amazon gift card? I'm sure she would have fun in here... I know I do, lol.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2008 7:57:07 AM PST
Brenda Hobbs says:
I would get a 13 year old girl hair products-- a great flat iron ( if she would use it)
or some great new make-up and a lesson-( every 13 year old girl could use that!!) bare minerals is so great!
then there is always those expensive jeans??

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2008 8:33:21 AM PST
Boston Mom says:
Well, my daughter just turned 13 last week. For her birthday we got her ears pierced again (they kept closing before). I got her a very tiny pearl ring and her dad got her an inexpensive digital camera.

Now for Christmas I am pretty much stuck, but am working on an idea to surprise her with redecorating her room. (she is moving into my old room, once I move out) and rather than move furniture from one place to another I am taking it a step further by making it more teen friendly (or like a dorm) with either a day bed, or lighting or other accessories, to jazz it up some. Perhaps that is an idea you could run with as well?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2008 9:13:11 AM PST
Sandypp says:
I bought my niece a "make a book" you can find it on Amazon. You write a story and send it to the maker for binding and looks good.

With it, I enclosed a card of suggested subjects:
best trip of the year (with friends, family or most interesting),
'This year of outstanding memories',
her first novel,
'This year and what I want my little brother to learn', etc.

She loved it -- good luck!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2008 9:35:24 AM PST
P. Yau says:
Jewelry - fashion Jewelry is something my little sister loves and she recommends looking at Ciaos Bella Jewelry. Here are some pretty cute earrings and pendants I find http://www.ciaosbella.com/earring-s/3.htm and http://www.ciaosbella.com/necklace-s/4.htm

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2008 9:36:08 AM PST
Boston Mom says:
----Julie King, BSN says:
---I bought my niece a "make a book" you can find it on Amazon. You write a story and send it to the maker for binding and looks good.

I looked and can't find it, can you link me up, or give me more details? thanks, it sounds like an interesting idea.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2008 8:27:08 PM PST
B. Mcshane says:
the twilight saga books are all the rage

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2008 8:27:59 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 17, 2008 8:30:25 PM PST
B. Mcshane says:
funny . . . a digital camera is exactly what mine is getting

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2008 8:27:28 AM PST
Elly says:
I have a 16 yr old daughter. They want iTunes gift cards more than anything else, also Barnes & Noble gift cards, and jewelry making stuff from A C Moore or Michaels. That bead & wire & pendant stuff that is right inside the front door of Michaels.

If she knits or crochets, either a gift card from the expensive yarn store in town (her mother will know where it is) or some funky fuzzy yarn chosen with the help of a girl the same age. You have to buy at least 2 skeins of each color (for enough to make something) & check to make sure the dye lots are the same. The clerk will know what that means if you don't.

I am also the Girl Scout leader of 11 15-16 year olds, and just the other day they shared their Christmas "wish lists" with us 2 leaders--- every one of them listed these things!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2008 3:18:24 PM PST
fiddlin says:
If she has a cell phone, ipod or computer you could get her a gift card for http://www.mytego.com/default.aspx?partner=mytego&lang=en where she can design her own skin. You can also do this on http://www.snapfish.com/storephotoskins using your own photos. This was one of my daughter's wish list items. The rest have been covered above.

As for me - I'm considering a padded cell for her.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2008 5:18:13 PM PST
Depending on the person, 13 is an age when girls can start to appreciate classic literature. My parents gave me the complete works of Jane Austen for my 14th birthday, and it instilled a life-long passion for all things Austen, while opening my mind to the joy of reading.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2008 6:36:11 AM PST
Boston Mom says:
lmao Fiddlin. I can soooooooooooo relate. Only in my case I think I am the one who needs the padded cell.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2008 9:59:57 AM PST
They all seem to be reading the Twilight books--there are 4 in the series. My 14 year old granddaughter is reading the first book and loving it. Plus several older cousins (up to ages 30-40) are actually reading and loving the series right now. Not that interesting to 65 year old grandmothers, but these books (and the movie) are really hot right now to the younger set!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2008 8:00:49 AM PST
fiddlin says:
Just ran across JBL Spyro speakers. Very cute, good sound reviews, come in a variety of cool colors. She wanted an iHome but the sound on those is pretty poor and I didn't want to spend the money on them. I have the Sound Sticks myself and am very pleased with the sound - the Spyro are supposed to be on a par with those. She can plug her ipod right into the speakers since she doesn't have her own stereo in her room.

Amazon has them on sale right now but I actually got a better deal off ebay for the fuchsia set (not such a bargain for that color right now on Amazon). The best bargain is for the teal:

JBL - Spyro - 2.1 Speaker System (Teal)

Another thing I picked up for her is this splitter:

Belkin RockStar 5-Way 3.5-mm Headphone Splitter (White)

The girls tend to like sharing their ipod music with each other. This way several can connect to one ipod and listen at the same time when a dock isn't readily available.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2008 8:16:26 AM PST
Boston Mom says:
HOly crap, that teal one was only $29.95 yesterday and now it is almost $50????????? wow, some increase.

Thanks for the splitter idea, I didn't have that on my list.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2008 8:25:47 AM PST
Lynn says:
Does she have pierced ears? If so a great gift is an Earring Organizer. The Earring Angel Pierced Earring Organizer is a great gift and comes in different colors so they can color coordinate with their bedrooms. Girls and teens love them!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2008 12:41:36 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 20, 2008 12:42:20 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2008 5:38:56 PM PST
Mom of Tween says:
I think it's

Illustory Make-A-Book Kit

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2008 9:04:58 PM PST
J. Eppard says:
Yes! I have to say thank you to everyone that posted here lol. I have a 13 yr old stepdaughter who lives with her mother and we had absolutely no idea what to get her. This has really helped!!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2008 1:15:06 PM PST
D. McMullin says:
When my son was 13 he hated everything we picked for him. I took him shopping for an outfit for Christmas. He tried on what he wanted and picked 3 different outfits he really liked, pants, shirt, jacket or what ever, even a pair of shoes. We put them all on hold and the next day I went back and bought one. Had it gift wrapped. He knew he was getting one of the 3 but he was surprised on Christmas morning anyway.

Grandma liked the idea and went to the store and picked up shirt and pants (shorts) he had picked out too.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Gift Idea forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Gift Idea forum
Participants:  39
Total posts:  45
Initial post:  Nov 16, 2008
Latest post:  Dec 9, 2008

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions