Customer Discussions > Gift Idea forum

Gift for Dad's birthday who doesn't want anything :)

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-15 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 1, 2010 8:52:34 PM PDT
Sasha says:
he has all sorts of tools and clothes and all that, and he always says that he doesn't want anything for his birthday! I always get him gifts anyways, any recommendations?

Posted on Sep 1, 2010 11:05:58 PM PDT
how about some kind of "experience"... a day fishing etc.
Or donate to a charity in his name?

Posted on Sep 1, 2010 11:08:56 PM PDT
B. Kaufman says:
A few small things, For the man who HAS an electric drill, a set of quarter inch hex (screwdriver style/size) to 1/4", 3/8", 1/2" drive socket adapters. These things are almost always neededs by people who work with drills/drivers, and very useful. Makes his life easier.

Get him a bicycle, so he can get some fresh air and exercise. (Maybe a used one from Craigslist?) Then of course he will need a fistful of new tools, to keep it running right. (Cone wrenches, headset wrenches, a portable bicycle tool, lightweight, so he can put them in his pocket on a ride, or in a small seat bag,)

Used to be, back in the day, men Wore Hats, Always. Now a man doesn't even start. So when his hair gets thin, he gets sunburn in Summer, and frozen scalp in Winter. Look at the Kangol 504, 507 style hats, tweedy wool for a formal sharp look (gray tweed?), or cotton canvas (Stone?) for cool summer hats.

Avoid ballcaps/gimme caps and such, men try them but they secretly think they are goofy/being laughed at. Kangol makes a nice lineup, that makes a man look distinguished, promotes a certain attitude, confidence, even. $20-$50. Or buy him a fur felt Akuba brand Heritage Fedora (very similar to the Indiana Jones hat, but much nicer than the Stetson hat), ~$100, or a panama fedora by Borsalino $100.
Think outside the box.

Posted on Sep 3, 2010 5:07:32 AM PDT
Kelly says:
I would suggest you get him someting he needs. Try to walk around his home and see if anything he has is becoming worn. Does he have a favorite pair of shoes? Chances are they're starting to fall apart. If he complains the inside of his car becomes too hot, try a windshield liner (the aluminum look ones work well). Do his hands get cold when he works? How about a nice pair of gloves? Isotoner makes very warm gloves (around $36). You could buy him a nice picture frame, quality dress socks, or make him a cake. If a lot of leaves get in his yard, you could try a leaf blower.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2010 1:25:53 PM PDT
Food. Take him out to dinner.

Posted on Sep 3, 2010 4:19:55 PM PDT
medialint says:
I want beer (such as a good IPA), a steak and potato dinner and a good PS3 game.

Thanks!

- Dad

Posted on Sep 3, 2010 7:36:02 PM PDT
sb043 says:
My Dad is like this - he has everything. Usually I get him food gifts like a gift basket from his favorite resturant in Frankenmuth, Michigan (he lives in VA now), or a basket of Starbuks coffee and teas- at least he can take it to the office if he can't use it at home. Once I did Harry and David (fruits). Once I got him a wallet when his was worn. One year, he really liked a "Bob's Big Boy" piggy bank, since he loved to go there back in the day. Sentimental never hurts.. Do not get picture frames because it seems Dad's do not care for that.. he told me, "All I got was crappy picture frames" (he forgot I was the one who sent it... yikes!)

Posted on Sep 4, 2010 1:15:06 AM PDT
F. Davies says:
Whatever you buy, make sure it is the finest quality. ...Better a small quality item (tie, socks, pocket knife) than a big piece of junk (cheap table saw, cheap suit, flimsy barbecue etc.)

Spending time with your dad is more of a gift than anything that comes in a box. Do what he wants to do, ...not just for an hour, but the day. That might mean hanging out at his place working in the garden or at his work bench building something. Participating in a mutual project that gives him the chance to pass on his knowledge might mean more to him than any material gift.

You can seed such a mutual a project by a small gift of materials (wood, seeds, how-to-book, ingredients for a special dish, polishing compound etc.)

Enroll yourselves in a class you believe he might be interested in.

Your time is the greatest gift you can give, so if you are an artist or crafts person you might consider making him something, but I'm sure he would rather spend a day with you than to just have the fruits of your day's labor.

Posted on Sep 4, 2010 1:45:03 AM PDT
L. Grimaldi says:
All good posts. for me there is nothing that makes me feel better than to have a nice happy day with all my kids and theirs around me for a BBQ on the deck. Speakers playing some classic rock, my boy doing the grilling (with my guidance and taste testing!). My girls fussing over me, keeping me well lubricated (lite beer only). Just a nice day letting me know that maybe I didn't do such a bad job after all. I think it should be like that whenever possible, you just can't spend too much time with your old man. Do it now while you have the opportunity.

Posted on Sep 4, 2010 8:38:53 PM PDT
Does he have a sweet tooth? If so: http://www.amazon.com/Random-Munchies-Delicious-Snacks-Candy/dp/B0041ULLTO/

Posted on Sep 5, 2010 8:11:52 PM PDT
Summer of 50 says:
Wow! Some great ideas. My Dad is going to be 90 in December and is still going strong working on his little farm/ranch alone. I got to spend some time with him this Summer and did some major housework and organizing...stuff that was overwhelming to him now (But remember to NEVER move things far from where he had them or you will never hear the end of it, when he can't find them!). Overall, though I think the best thing was just spending time together and asking him questions about his life (For him I asked a lot about WWII.). Show an interest in things & stories you never paid attention to before. Let him talk about his family when he was a kid or the town he grew up in, things which mattered to him. Old friends. His first girlfriend! You may never get the opportunity again as "things" happen. It was for Father's Day, but I got him books and videos about WWII. You could do the same with your Dad's era when he was a young man and include some music which will take him back. Ask him about his first car or to tell about getting his driver's license. Ask about different jobs he has held, teachers he had in school, subjects he loved/hated. Then later that evening take notes, because you will forget if you don't write it down that he made $30 per month wages in WWII, or whatever. Make him feel, by your attention that his life has been truly meaningful.

Posted on Sep 6, 2010 4:56:43 AM PDT
mary says:
Some really great ideas. You guys had me crying with them......Just be glad you can still do ANY of these things with and for your dad.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2010 10:22:57 PM PST
Gary says:
Get him one of these I am sure he will find a use for it! Wearable Clip-on Dry Erase Notepad Board

Posted on Dec 12, 2010 4:48:23 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Mar 12, 2011 10:07:26 AM PST]

Posted on Dec 12, 2010 5:02:45 PM PST
A new watch. Dads like watches ....
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Gift Idea forum
Participants:  15
Total posts:  15
Initial post:  Sep 1, 2010
Latest post:  Dec 12, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions