Customer Discussions > Gift Idea forum

Gifts for Italian Grandmother?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-15 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 4, 2008 10:49:53 AM PST
Any suggestions on what to get an 84 year old grandmother who has 0 interest in electronics/technology or jewelry and doesn't want any clothes. She's old fashioned even in cooking and doesn't use any of the gadgets available today. She won't even use a rice cooker.

She likes big bands as she grew up in that era but want to get her something more than another CD. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Were there any tv shows that were popular around that era? Thought maybe i could get her a dvd or something.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2008 10:59:04 AM PST
What about a Lawrence Welk show DVD? They always had big band type music. I bet she would enjoy that. I know my grandma does :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2008 11:12:48 AM PST
G. Akroyd says:
You can't get this on Amazon but I've been giving my grandparents gift cards to the grocery store and they love it! Social security checks are getting smaller and at least it's something they actually need.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2008 11:33:26 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 4, 2008 11:35:33 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2008 4:30:24 PM PST
moosie94 says:
I think the grocery store gift card is a good idea as well as the Lawrence Welk DVD. I do have an alternative as well. This may sound boring but a new housecoat (Robe) or a new set of sheets is something that older people hate to splurge on but that they would like to have.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2008 5:11:02 PM PST
Aviva Lynne says:
My aunt who is 89 now enjoys books on places she has visited or lived. since she did a lot of international travel that has made it easier. So where has your grandmother traveled? A book with lots of photos might bring back a lot of good memories.

Also my older relatives seem to get colder as they grow older so I would think about a new throw or soft robe with maybe a hood that buttons since I know some of my older relatives fumble more as they age with zippers. I have one friend who is buying a hand muff for her mother since her hands get so cold in the house.

But the thing my older relatives most want is to be paid attention to...maybe give the gift of one afternoon with her...take her out for a special lunch or get tickets to something you both would enjoy. Or a coupon for one Saturday's worth of chores. I know my 82 year mother would be thrilled to have my neice or nephew spend a day with her running to the hardware store and then having them do some of the little household repairs that seem to accumulate. Or to have a professional photo taken of her and her grandchildren.

Or simply a letter that says how much she has meant to your life.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2008 6:28:30 PM PST
Buy her DVDs of movies her favorite actors starred in. Try Frank Sanatra, Rita Hayworth, Dean Martin, Jane Russell, Betty Davis... On Christmas, give her a "movie night" basket with her favorite snacks, italian cookies, and a jar of home made or best quality resturaunt soup. Put it in a Pretty Ball jar with a ribbon. Ask Grandma what night she would like you to come over, and share a special night together....She will love this more than any framed picture, bathrobe or slippers! Nothing is more priceless than sharing your time with her memories of the good old days!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2008 8:06:05 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 4, 2008 8:08:08 PM PST
Mary Lou says:
Having come from an Italian family myself and always stuck at Christmas time as to what to buy my Italian grandmothers always seemed to be a challenge for me. The one year my own daughter gave my mother (which was her grandmother) a dvd-- but we had to take it back because it was too complicated for her to use. Some of the gift ideas I would suggest are gift certificates to get her hair done, or a gift basket full of small can goods, grocery gift card, stamps, kleenexes, stationary, set of all occasion gift cards -- so she doesn't have to keep getting out for these things-- except to spend the grocery card. The other items that she might like as a gift is a "rosary". Most Italian grandmothers are very religious. Or perhaps a religious pin to wear on her coat.

My grandmother lived until she was 96 and if I had the chance to give her one more gift it would be either to take her out for dinner and spend time with her and/or if she wasn't feeling up to it, to go to her house and bring her a plate of the Italian cookies I had made from her recipes. The latter is probably what she would enjoy the most! Bless you and your grandmother.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2008 10:55:08 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 4, 2008 10:55:34 PM PST
Ed Uyeshima says:
Hi Chris,

I think the following trio of DVDs could provide your grandmother a happy ride on the wayback machine...

The Glenn Miller Story
http://www.amazon.com/Glenn-Miller-Story-James-Stewart/dp/B00008DDRT/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_k2a_2_txt?pf_rd_p=304485601&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-2&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=6300181111&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=07VS8WEVHT07WM8JV1PQ

The Benny Goodman Story
The Benny Goodman Story

The Gene Krupa Story
The Gene Krupa Story

...or maybe Lydia Basianich's Italian-American cookbook:
Lidia's Italian-American Kitchen

Good luck,
Ed Uyeshima
Amazon 2008 Holiday Customer Review Team

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2008 3:57:28 AM PST
Angela says:
Does your grandmother still bake? I second the idea of Italian cookies (homemade, NOT store-bought--I don't know what the retailers think biscotti is, but it is nothing like our family's recipe!). Most women of this age no longer bake and would probably enjoy the traditional treats she used to enjoy. I know my grandfather did, when I baked for him after my grandmother died.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2008 2:45:41 AM PST
annamosity says:
Amazon has an awesome authentic Iimported Italian cheese sampler sold by igourmet. The reviews seem very positive and it might remind her of the old country...
http://www.amazon.com/Italian-Cheese-Sampler-pound-igourmet-com/dp/B0000D9N1M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=gourmet-food&qid=1228560198&sr=8-1

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2008 3:48:59 AM PST
Yes...my grandma still bakes and loves to cook. Although it's not the large family dinners like she used to make she's always baking cookies or some sort of desert.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2008 3:52:03 AM PST
Thaks to everyone who posted. The suggestions were very thoughtful and very helpful. My grandmother has traveled all across the US and even took a trip to Italy in search of our family's roots. I would love to get her everything mentioned, she deserves it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2008 7:23:01 AM PST
Belle says:
The 1950's show I Love Lucy is sure to make her laugh! As a stocking stuffer, how about some Baci or Torronne candies?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2008 8:46:59 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 6, 2008 8:48:01 AM PST
gramof6 says:
I gave my Italian dad , Andre Bocelli's Vivere Live in Tuscany DVD, He was 86 at the time, you could see the joy in his eyes as he watched it!. When he passed we got the CD and now when we watch it it brings memories of the joy it brought him. I am sure your grandmother would enjoy it too!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Gift Idea forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Gift Idea forum
Participants:  13
Total posts:  15
Initial post:  Dec 4, 2008
Latest post:  Dec 6, 2008

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions